Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat Carter
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Rule 10.2.1 states: Units may also be purchased for an Active Minor Nation ally if they can trace a path via rail or port-to-port from a city or port in the controlling Major Power to a city or port in the aligned Minor Nation. Spend the base level cost (no Technology) of the corps and place the unit in a city of that Minor Nation (16.1.4).

If only one city meets this criteria, is placement of new units limited to that city or are all cities candidates.

Also it says via rail OR port-to-port, does this exclude cities that can only trace a path from rail to a port in the minor country, then to a port in the controlling Major Power

On the second turn is it possible to buy units for Poland?

2. Confirmation of combat order: advance after combat once all combat resolved

3. Air combat in example does not follow rules (old or new) correct?

4. Air combat procedure: if there are russian, german and polish air units in the east air box, on turn 1 germany attacks poland. The rules (13.2.2) state that if anyone has more units than the other player they must place or designate as not commited the excess air units first. Do the russian air units count for the allies (the defender in this case, albeit its Poland being attacked), even though they cant be commited?

I'll be playing this at Bottoscon this weekend

Cheers
Mat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30harry wrote:
1. Rule 10.2.1 states: Units may also be purchased for an Active Minor Nation ally if they can trace a path via rail or port-to-port from a city or port in the controlling Major Power to a city or port in the aligned Minor Nation. Spend the base level cost (no Technology) of the corps and place the unit in a city of that Minor Nation (16.1.4).

If only one city meets this criteria, is placement of new units limited to that city or are all cities candidates.

No, the above merely refers to whether /any/ units can be built, not to the specific placement hex.

30harry wrote:
Also it says via rail OR port-to-port, does this exclude cities that can only trace a path from rail to a port in the minor country, then to a port in the controlling Major Power

It should be "rail and/or port-to-port".

30harry wrote:
On the second turn is it possible to buy units for Poland?

Yes - Poland should be treated as an Active Controlled Minor Nation under 16.1.6.1, with the UK as the controlling Major Power. I'll be adding this to the FAQ/clarifications that I'll be uploading in the next couple days....assuming it meets the criteria above, of course.

30harry wrote:
2. Confirmation of combat order: advance after combat once all combat resolved

No, each combat is resolved separately. The last three bullets of 13.2 are repeated for each combat (I'll add that to the clarifications).

30harry wrote:
3. Air combat in example does not follow rules (old or new) correct?

Which example? And what am I missing :-).

30harry wrote:
4. Air combat procedure: if there are russian, german and polish air units in the east air box, on turn 1 germany attacks poland. The rules (13.2.2) state that if anyone has more units than the other player they must place or designate as not commited the excess air units first. Do the russian air units count for the allies (the defender in this case, albeit its Poland being attacked), even though they cant be commited?

Aircraft from Neutral Major Powers should be ignored. I'll add that to the clarifications.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Carter
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Which example? And what am I missing :-)."

Example 22.0

I understand now that air combat, ground combat and advance occur for each battle, however in the example the air units are placed only for the subsequent combat, where as the rules states to place all combat units before the last three bullets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hatcher
msg tools
mb
Question on the air/sea table. If you roll lower than an A (abort), is the air or sea unit still considered present? If the air unit remains, does it take place in the follow on combat? It just seems to lack a 3d status, such as "M" for missing. Due to the complexity and vastness of air/sea a unit may not be even present at the combat, and therefore not take part to either abort or be hit. Trouble is, the dash result leave you wondering where you are after the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30harry wrote:
"Which example? And what am I missing :-)."

Example 22.0

I understand now that air combat, ground combat and advance occur for each battle, however in the example the air units are placed only for the subsequent combat, where as the rules states to place all combat units before the last three bullets

That was a conscious choice...just not enough time to update the Example of Play. See first paragraph in 22.0 in version 2.0 of the rules:

"OCT 2013 Errata: Please note that the Example of Play has not been updated. It is still mostly correct, but some wording may be different than used in the rules, above. In all cases, the rules above are correct over the Example of Play."

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountaineer wrote:
Question on the air/sea table. If you roll lower than an A (abort), is the air or sea unit still considered present? If the air unit remains, does it take place in the follow on combat? It just seems to lack a 3d status, such as "M" for missing. Due to the complexity and vastness of air/sea a unit may not be even present at the combat, and therefore not take part to either abort or be hit. Trouble is, the dash result leave you wondering where you are after the roll.

Air/Naval battles are abstracted, so getting to the level of "a unit may not be even present at the combat" is outside the scope of what Dan is modeling. You're welcome to make house rules to add additional complexity and "realism" to air/naval combat, for the RAW is simply:
* Each side rolls
* Each side applies any A or HIT result.

Note that you don't roll per air/naval unit but just once in each air or naval combat round (so you'll get a maximum of 2 rolls, so can can affect a maximum of 2 units of the enemy...all the rest will automatically get through).

-K

edit: 1 (formatting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hatcher
msg tools
mb
Kevin, that still does not answer what the result is if you roll and the table gives you a dash for an answer. I am assuming the plane can't be present, because then that impacts the strategic bombing/ground support. If the result is the plane did not even participate, then that fits in perfectly with the abstract.

So the simple question is, what does the "-" mean? Is the aircraft/ship still on station or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountaineer wrote:
Kevin, that still does not answer what the result is if you roll and the table gives you a dash for an answer. I am assuming the plane can't be present, because then that impacts the strategic bombing/ground support. If the result is the plane did not even participate, then that fits in perfectly with the abstract.

So the simple question is, what does the "-" mean? Is the aircraft/ship still on station or not?

No result means it is still on station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell is correct.

Remember, you're rolling to see what effect you have on a single enemy air unit, so either you have a '-' (no effect), an 'A' (abort), or a 'HIT' (eliminate the air unit). No effect means just that...the enemy air unit continues with its mission with no effect from your fire.

Same with naval combat, but replacing "air unit" with "naval unit", above. If you roll a '-' then the enemy naval unit is unaffected by your fire and continues doing whatever it was doing prior to the naval combat (i.e. sitting in the Sea Zone).

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hatcher
msg tools
mb
Roger, I acknowledge I had misread. I thought the result was the effect on my air unit, now I realize it is the effect on the other player. Realized this on a long drive today. Some of the rules are very different from other games in similar genre, so you have to pay closer inspection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.