Silent War» Forums » General

Subject: so lost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tried to setup game and read the manual twice, so lost, if only there was a video as example of gameplay so intimidated by it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like by far the most complex (and long) game in your collection.

Have you tried just playing some of the simpler one sub patrol scenarios? That you could learn the search/contact/combat routine without having to manage dozens of subs at once.

Before I started I printed off the excellent flipbook found here. Also read through the FAQ and errata and had them handy as I was learning the game.

My first bit of advice would be to exercise the greatest patience you can muster while learning this game. Take it slow, follow the play sequence, and constantly refer to the rules/aids so you start to build confidence in your knowledge. This game could last 150+ 1 hour long turns, so don't expect to figure it all out right away.

Advice part two is to just jump in and start doing things. Go through that play sequence in order and start rolling the die, consulting charts, and awkwardly moving subs around. I didn't understand the game either after reading the rules more than twice.

It took me at least 4+ turns to get confident in the general turn sequence. Since then I've been getting steadily faster with things like transit checks, repair/readiness rolls, combat, etc.

Oh, and I like Vassal for this game. It's the only game I regularly utilize Vassal for, mostly because of space limitations. But it's been pretty hand to learn it I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the help. I will follow your advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Reagan wrote:
Thank you for the help. I will follow your advice
Don't hesitate to ask for further help as you need it. I'm happy to help though I have limited experience.

Though it's taken diligence and dedication to learn, I have completely enjoyed my experiences so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I've just set SW up for the second time and I'm running through the campaign now.

The first time I set it up, read the manual twice, and was so confused I packed it all away and sat it on the shelf for awhile.

This time around it all 'clicked' and, small mistakes aside, the rules are easier to take in.

All I can say is keep at it, the game is really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.