Subject: Has Russia ever won Galicia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j b
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm finishing up my second solo playthrough, and came here to read some session reports. I've got two turns left but I don't see much hope for Russia to win. Reading here I don't see any session reports where Russia wins.

The game is a blast - but is it imbalanced in favor of Austria?

I do think next time I play I'll make sure Russia is more aggressive from the get-go. The 10 turns go quick and perhaps Russia has to be moving forward the whole time, even though it feels badly outnumbered to start.

Or maybe Russia's chances are badly dependent on good dice rolls - especially in the South East where Russia has an advantage but a long way to march?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
unfaegne_eorl wrote:
I'm finishing up my second solo playthrough, and came here to read some session reports. I've got two turns left but I don't see much hope for Russia to win. Reading here I don't see any session reports where Russia wins.

The game is a blast - but is it imbalanced in favor of Austria?

I do think next time I play I'll make sure Russia is more aggressive from the get-go. The 10 turns go quick and perhaps Russia has to be moving forward the whole time, even though it feels badly outnumbered to start.

Or maybe Russia's chances are badly dependent on good dice rolls - especially in the South East where Russia has an advantage but a long way to march?

If the Austrian player is making good use of his ZOCs the Russian player won't win. Ted Raicer has suggested to balance things out by starting on turn 4 with Austrian VP counting, and on turn 5 if you want to experience 'the full disaster'. I have not tried any of those options, but in my two games of Galicia Austria always won. In one Vassal game I even destroyed every Austrian unit but three or four and still lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Question - you are properly applying the rule that Austria VPs for holding their own victory locations are capped at 8, right? In your game with nearly all Austrian forces destroyed, how many Austrian VPs did they have, and how many locations did the Russians reach by game end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can now answer the thread title question in the affirmative. Admittedly against a newbie Austrian player, and by concession at the end of turn 6, but the result stands.

At that point, the Austrians had 2 VPs and controlled one of their VP locations, about 2 hexes from the Russians, in the northwest. Their entire right was gone, with 3 steps of infantry holding on Tartar pass in the southeast, and everything north of the mountains there pocketed and not long for this world. In the center, where the easternmost rail line emerges from the mountains, they had one reduced infantry unit left alive north of the Carpathians.

Their left center and left were still strong, but after Russian reinforcements turn 6-7, were unable to push and had to withdraw to cover their destroyed right flank. A few stay behinds might have held the lone VP location for another turn, two at the outside. But the Russians were going to take half the map before the time limit.

Basically, it is possible to destroy so much of the Austrian army so quickly that the VP locations will fall. My opponent definitely could have done more to hold the center and northeast VP locations longer, and to shift reinforcements to that sector sooner, to stave off its complete collapse. But if the Austrians get aggressive in the northwest and the Russians handle the left and center attack well enough, the Russians can win the campaign, with the VCs as they stand.

In play balance terms, it might be better to start the Austrian VP "clock" for control of their VP locations at the end of turn 5, rather than 4. Between experienced players I think that would be more balanced. But if there is a skill differential, the game is winnable as it stands by the Russians.

FWIW...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I and a friend have used some house rules to even it up a bit although I do believe that the "Oh woe are the Russians is a bit overblown. We have capped the Hapsburg VPs at 7 and we start the clock on turn 5 not turn 4 as is suggested and we also gave the Russians a VP bonus for percentage of Hapsburg army the Russians destroy. i believe it makes it much more even although as they say your results may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElFluppe wrote:

If the Austrian player is making good use of his ZOCs the Russian player won't win. Ted Raicer has suggested to balance things out by starting on turn 4 with Austrian VP counting, and on turn 5 if you want to experience 'the full disaster'. I have not tried any of those options, but in my two games of Galicia Austria always won. In one Vassal game I even destroyed every Austrian unit but three or four and still lost.

I don't understand: the rules already say that turn 4 is when you start counting Austrian VP's. Don't know why Ted would suggest starting there, when that's what's written in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestion was Turn 5 for balance, Turn 6 to channel Conrad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.