Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that reviewing after 3 plays (a 2-player, a 3-player and a 4- player) is a bit early, but I think a lot of people are waiting for impressions and/or are having wrong expectations.

Let me start with the obvious: this is an economical game. I bought it in Essen, because my new buys were without economical games. The fact that the co-author is the author of Keyflower, a game I really like, was a deciding factor.

There were 2 things I was wrong about:
- This is not a heavy game, it's not Automobile or Power Grid: Factory Manager, with a lot of gears and moving parts. Even though I do like that kind of games, I am glad this fills in the nice niche of interesting economical games that only have a small set of options but a lot of possibilities to explore. I can explain the whole game by saying "On your turn, you add a tile to the market, everyone scores 1 out of 5 things and you choose 2 out of 4 actions (all of them can be done in 5 seconds), you do that untill the stack of tiles is empty." In this way it reminds me of Hab & Gut.
- This is not a game that relies on variable setup for replayability. Dominion is the most known game that relies completely on variable setup, but lots of games nowadays try to build in a lot of variables (or even scenario's) to make every game different. The order of the tiles is somehow variable (but even not completely, for exemple you always start with the same 24 tiles available at the same prices) and you can play with the front- or backside (backside provides a harder time dealing with space and waste), but the variety lies in the different strategies you can follow.

This will be a game you play better if you have experience and that's something I really like. I can imagine this being a good tournament game, like I do enjoy Ginkgopolis as a tournament game. High scores would be relevant for this game. A big pro is the compact playing time (1 hour or less is realistic with all player counts) combined with minimal downtime, even with 4.

Players who like a good game with the city- or countrybuilding theme and want something more streamlined and more minimalistic than Suburbia or 20th Century will like this game.
People who like trying new extreme strategies with a defined set of rules and options will like this. The game allows you to for exemple go wild in money in the beginning and destroy your nature and to overbuild your moneybuildings with pointbuildings later in the game. It's not like Agricola where the game pushes you to do a bit of everything.

People who like it when the game provides you a completely different challenge and new buildings every time will not like this (or will have to wait for an expansion?).

So in conclusion I like the game with all player counts. With 4 the amount of control in the first scorings may be a small downside. I like the artwork (especially the fact that all buildings have an explanation). The paper money is something not everyone loves, but some of the people I played with found it cute that there are "real euros".
I really hope this game will see a lot of plays for me, because I think it will shine when all players have some experience under their belts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic little mini review. I really appreciate these quick perspective type posts. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. A Streamlined game sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful review, and for strengthening my excuse to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've been looking into this game but after reading the rules i was scared by the initial scoring tile every turn. It just sounds too random to me. You pick a tile and everybody scores accordingly. How does this scoring weight on your final score?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fs1973 wrote:
I've been looking into this game but after reading the rules i was scared by the initial scoring tile every turn. It just sounds too random to me. You pick a tile and everybody scores accordingly. How does this scoring weight on your final score?

Thanks everyone for the nice words on my review (my first I guess ). The scoring is not completely random because every decade (5 tiles) has one scoring of everything (points, ecology, energy, research and money), so you know everything will come around. I do think it's important to score something every time to not get too far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's the beginning of the decade and you have the first tile as an event, you can know there won't be a scoring of that for at least 4 player turns, so you can go to negative with that feature.
On the other hand, when the end of the decade is approaching and there is only one or maybe two tiles, you can make that feature stronger so you can probably score double with that one feature. This is a tricky thing, quite calculable actually, but still not something you can be 100% sure about (which is even better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review. This sounds like a game I should definitely try before buying. I was hoping that this combination of designers would create something a bit heavier, but since Knizia seems to do mostly lighter, single-mechanic focused games these days I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.