Subject: Magnetized storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I inserted magnets into the base of my Season 1 zombies and were working on making foamboard+rubbersteel plates when I found this nice plate box that is nearly close to perfect for me!

The quality aint great but I love the fact that is so square without any rounded corners etc. I'm gonna paint it and slap some Zombizicdesque imagery on it.

(I need to arrange them a little bit better, but you get the idea)

Currently I am inserting magnets into S2 as I paint them (until they are painted I will have them in ziplocks). Inserting magnets was a bit troublesome as the bases are so thin, but it worked out fine in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have pictures of the magnets and the bottoms of the zombie bases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here you go!

The Zombicide TCM walker base is nearly as thin as the 1.5x3mm neo-magnets

1.5x3mm neo-magnets, a 3mm multi-drill (avoid wooden drills, they have very long pointy ends that will penetrate the base long before you are done).

Magnet super-glued into the base

Ensure that the magnet is flush with the base so you don't end up with edges that might rip your game-board. I personally put on some glossy varnish when the glue is dry just in case

Well, "#&&/ happens.. It is probably a very good idea to do this before you base your minis. Personally I had zero (0) incidents with S1 Zombicide but a LOT with the TCM. I think they have made the bases just slightly thinner. So maybe a wider/thinner magnet would be better for these?

Edit: spelling
Edit 2: my magnets were 1.5mm thick, not 2mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
Ensure that the magnet is float (is that the word?)

Flush, not float.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great explanation and set of pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kelley
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm curious - are you still using this solution?

Did you just use metallic baking pans / or some other type of box? I can't quite tell from the pic. Where did you find them?

Thanks for sharing such a great looking solution. As I'm painting my S1 zombies, I'm wrestling with how to store them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Magnus, would it be possible to speed up the workflow by drilling a hole completely through the base and then fill the top with some green stuff BEFORE painting the base?
That way you don't need to be as precise...

Another question, you used the ø3x1 mm magnets, right? How strong are they, are the minis standing firmly on the base plate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
I build a box for Zombicide with magnetized minis. All together has the weight of 25kg.
A small box with tokens is not included...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monovektor wrote:
Say Magnus, would it be possible to speed up the workflow by drilling a hole completely through the base and then fill the top with some green stuff BEFORE painting the base?

I'd vote yes. You'll want to fill gaps in the mini's, so can fill the top with the same stuff you use as your gap filler at the same time as you prep your mini's. I recommend trying Vallejo Plastic Putty or another putty. Under four dollars, and no mixing like you need to do with Green Stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.