Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I´m looking for wargame including a strong theme!
No fantasy/future, but either WWI or WWII, small level (ideal: 1 unit equals 1 man), so axies and allies for ex. wouldn't fit.

Themes I could imagine: British troops parachuting over France supporting the Resistance (WWII obviosly), stuff like busting bridges, throwing grenades, Units of different types (Sniper, Enginner, Assault troop, Medic,...) having diff. abilities, buildings (can be busted), machine guns, bunkers

just my brainstorming!

1 unit should (ideally) equal 1 man, vehicles can also be included, however only a few, so the focus should be on infantry!...

Any game you can recommend? Thanks!

I ownWorld War II: Barbarossa 1941 and would like to go a level smaller now.
2 players is fine, I don´t mind cardboard counters, actually I like them better than plastic models(cheaper!!(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and yes a civil duration would be nice!! so 1-2 hours would be ideal, but hardly possible (??), so maybe 3,5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe could be what you're looking for. Each chit represents either a four man squad, a two man team or an individual officer. Great theme, masses of scenarios and interesting mechanics.

Also, once you know the rules, a 2 hr play time is not entirely unreasonable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevemould wrote:
Each chit represents either a four man squad, a two man team or an individual officer

I believe a Squad, depicted by 4 men on the chit, actually represents ~10 soldiers.

A Team, depicted by 2 men, represent 2-5 soldiers.

Combat Commander is the closest game I can think of to the OP's requirements.

Unpublished Prototype fits the bill but has yet to be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conflict of heroes. awakening the bear. I managed to get a copy on e bay for £18. also lock and load produce good ww2 squad level. nations at war and band of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This could well be the case. I haven't actually read the rules, having been taught how to play it by someone else. I just assumed the number of soldiers depicted on the chit was representative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Stevemould wrote:
This could well be the case. I haven't actually read the rules, having been taught how to play it by someone else. I just assumed the number of soldiers depicted on the chit was representative.

It is 10 man squads, 5 man teams, and individual leaders/heroes.

The figures represented are for stacking limits. No more than 7 figures per stack.

Also, Combat Commander is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, the venerable 3W game, Soldiers: Man-to-Man Combat in World War II, by John Butterfield, is combat at the scale of one unit equals one man. The secenarios are many (most with secret choices made for victory goals, for one side or the other), and the rules aren't overly complex or tedious.

Most scenarios can be played in 2 hours or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevemould wrote:
Combat Commander: Europe could be what you're looking for. Each chit represents either a four man squad, a two man team or an individual officer. Great theme, masses of scenarios and interesting mechanics.

Also, once you know the rules, a 2 hr play time is not entirely unreasonable...

Thanks!!
Looks cool, however I´m wondering where to purchase it for a reasonable price (europe!)? Where did you get yours??
amazon uk is pretty expensive!!

Combat Commander: Pacific
by GMT Games
Be the first to review this item
Price: £70.23

What about the different versions, can they be combined easily??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any serious game fitting into my descriptions which is available for printandplay?? that would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have spent around the £200 mark (so far) on Combat Commander Europe, Mediterranean, Normandy and Resistance and consider it to be the best value game I've bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hory Zonn
Belgium
Hasselt
België
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Combat Commander: Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For WW 1 : Trenchfoot "Scale: 1 yard hexes, 1 second turns, each unit equals one man."

A much better game, but set in Medieval times is : Cry Havoc - medieval combat - 1 unit = 1 man/woman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe will be reprinted in a month or so. If you wait until then you will be able to pick it up a lot cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Is there any serious game fitting into my descriptions which is available for printandplay?? that would be awesome!

Valor & Victory is a squad level WWII print and play game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Combat Commander: Europe has been suggested enough (and with a good reason), so I will also add this: Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Landry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
While Combat Commander and Conflict of Heros are fine games, they are not skirmish level (individual man)but, are squad level game (same scale as ASL). Some good skirmish level games would be: Ambush/Battle Hymn, Firepower, Up Front, and Sergeants: On the Eastern Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
What about the different versions, can they be combined easily??

CC: Europe and CC: Pacific are the two starting point sets. They use mostly the same rules, but the scenarios, cards, and counters in one aren't used in the other.

Most of the other CC products expand CC: Europe. If you do pick it up and enjoy it, the next set to pick up is CC:Mediterranean (or Paratroopers). CC: Mediterranean is, in turn, required if you want to use the other expansions - Stalingrad, Normandy, Resistance, Sea Lion, and Fall of the West.

CC: Pacific has just one expansion so far - New Guinea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cajunheat76 wrote:
While Combat Commander and Conflict of Heros are fine games, they are not skirmish level (individual man)but, are squad level game (same scale as ASL). Some good skirmish level games would be: Ambush/Battle Hymn, Firepower, Up Front, and Sergeants: On the Eastern Front.

1. seems like what it is: a game of the pre-computer times; nowadays you would do a PC game out of the story, rules,... but it looks nice! Maybe I´ll consider it again, when my opponent has a long series of wins onc again, or if my PC is broken (;4h btw
2. yes!
3. no board!!??
4. why not!

What about (advanced) Squad Leader? Is it good?

All the games seem similar somehow (at least to a nonwargamer), which one offers the best possibilities for parachuting, stuff like busting bridges, throwing grenades, Units of different types (Sniper, Enginner, Assault troop, Medic,...) having diff. abilities, buildings (can be busted), machine guns, bunkers??

I consider the card mechanism of CC:E to be good (never played though!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
What about (advanced) Squad Leader? Is it good?

It really depends on what you're looking for in a game. It's probably the most expansive game of the genre, but it can be a big step up in complexity from other similar games.

If you're concerned about cost, it's been released as a series of Starter Kits that each focus on a few aspects of the whole game. You can pick up Starter Kit 1 pretty inexpensively, and then add on the others over time.

Quote:
All the games seem similar somehow (at least to a nonwargamer), which one offers the best possibilities for parachuting, stuff like busting bridges, throwing grenades, Units of different types (Sniper, Enginner, Assault troop, Medic,...) having diff. abilities, buildings (can be busted), machine guns, bunkers??

If you want something where each individual is doing their own heroic things, and with your men having specific roles in the team, the Sergeants! games (either the miniatures game or the hex-and-counter version) do that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.