United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I spent 4 hours being questioned about my cycling accident.

I know now why there is such a hatred for lawyers.

It’s like being the target in a knife throwing show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It’s like being the target in knife throwing 101.
FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Yesterday I spent 4 hours being questioned about my cycling accident.

What... what role were these guys in? Are you suing the city for installing cyclist pit traps, or is your insurance company trying to determine whether having your face reassembled was elective surgery, or what?

Around hour three:
You: Wait... what's the purpose of these questions again?
Lawyer 1: Oh, we just love hearing about this stuff. Now, let's go back to the moment your face hit the asphalt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who were they working for?

Also how long till RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This
kuhrusty wrote:
Are you suing the city for installing cyclist pit traps

and
kuhrusty wrote:
is your insurance company trying to determine whether having your face reassembled was elective surgery

are both angles being worked.

kuhrusty wrote:

Lawyer 1: Oh, we just love hearing about this stuff. Now, let's go back to the moment your face hit the asphalt.

Absolutely. Over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Department of Transportation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been deposed twice. In the first case I was a Good Samaritan who rendered medical aid to a semiconscious woman, who then went on to sue someone else. What blew me away was that I was treated with such hostility by BOTH SIDES of the case. There was also lots of repetitive questioning, trying to trip me up on language, and semantic games a la "What is the definition of "is"?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Department of Transportation.
So in essence they are only doing what they are paid to do. I have no desire to defend lawyers, but at the end of the day it is fact they are only doing the job they are asked to do. The problem is the system, not the people who operate within it.

We need a less adversarial justice system. One on which the objective is to find the truth, not win the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Absolutely. Over and over.

I've dealt with a lot of lawyers in the patent world. And the language games/thought process is not fun. But at least I'm not subjected to the over and over game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Suing the city is a difficult proposition(unless you are shot by a police officer), do they think they have a solid case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Suing the city is a difficult proposition(unless you are shot by a police officer), do they think they have a solid case?

If they is my team, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

If they is my team, probably.

"Oh look, a pothole... I think I'll almost kill myself for new teeth."

... yeah... okay...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
As a very good friend of mine says:

"You never, ever want to interface with the legal system in any way, shape or form."

He's a lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
... I have no desire to defend lawyers, but at the end of the day it is fact they are only doing the job they are asked to do.
The problem is the system, not the people who operate within it ...

And who designed that system?

:

:

:

( wait for it )

:

:

:

LAWYERS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
... I have no desire to defend lawyers, but at the end of the day it is fact they are only doing the job they are asked to do.
The problem is the system, not the people who operate within it ...

And who designed that system?

:

:

:

( wait for it )

:

:

:

LAWYERS!

No, they did not design the system they are a product of it. Law (and courts) existed before lawyers. Lawyers were created because of the complexity if our legal system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
No, they did not design the system they are a product of it. Law (and courts) existed before lawyers. Lawyers were created because of the complexity if our legal system.

I think it's more of a cycle. Lawyers are needed due to the complexity of the system, but a lot of the system was created by lawyers-turned-into-politicians, who then use their 'expertise' to continue to make more confusing and complex laws. One could argue that they are basically authoring their own profession's job security with the way some of these laws are written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I think it's more of a cycle. Lawyers are needed due to the complexity of the system, but a lot of the system was created by lawyers-turned-into-politicians, who then use their 'expertise' to continue to make more confusing and complex laws. One could argue that they are basically authoring their own profession's job security with the way some of these laws are written.
That s not the origins of the system, merely it's maintenance. It could be argued...we are drifting into RSp territory, I will not go further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever it is, some side beside me is going to make money off the fact that I now have a lisp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawyers have a very simple set of motivations: They want to get paid. The rest of the legal system derives from that simple assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work for lawyers, and have one for a brother. I can totally agree.

On the flip side, I did once have to sit through a deposition, in which a multibillionaire former CEO, who has an engineering degree from a technology school, and who founded and lead several computer tech development firms, testified again and again that he basically had no idea how to use computers, or any understanding of how they worked. This was to bolster his defense that he couldn't have possibly have committed some (whatever it was, stock fraud or something) as he didn't know how to use computers.

I suspect a lot of the folks lawyers regularly interact with are excellent matches, morally, for the lawyers themselves. Just like when I have had the occasion to go to traffic court for tickets, where the judge would look at my record, look at my mode of dress (dressed up for it, unlike anyone else there), and ask me "why are you here?!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?
ATTORNEY Did you check for breathing?
ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?
ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
ATTORNEY: But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?
WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law.

http://www.amigamccc.org/journal/0709cour.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bus carrying 97 lawyers plunged over a cliff. All were killed.

The tragedy - there were 3 empty seats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Chanfan wrote:
I suspect a lot of the folks lawyers regularly interact with are excellent matches, morally, for the lawyers themselves.

This. Many, many times this.

I do work with lawyers. Some of them are very, very dodgy. But no matter how dodgy I think they are, they never manage to outdo the clients, especially the ones who insist that they are upstanding, respectable businessmen and pillars of the community (and the rest of the community would probably agree, more's the pity...). Plain old straightforward criminals are surprisingly honest (and honest to themselves), even if they have skewed attitudes and values. Businessmen, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Chanfan wrote:
I suspect a lot of the folks lawyers regularly interact with are excellent matches, morally, for the lawyers themselves.

I do work with lawyers. Some of them are very, very dodgy. But no matter how dodgy I think they are, they never manage to outdo the clients, especially the ones who insist that they are upstanding, respectable businessmen and pillars of the community (and the rest of the community would probably agree, more's the pity...). Plain old straightforward criminals are surprisingly honest (and honest to themselves), even if they have skewed attitudes and values. Businessmen, though...
My whole point (other then the fact you left out politicians).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Chanfan wrote:

My whole point (other then the fact you left out politicians).

He said criminals...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.