Subject: Where are the hybrid electronic/computer/tablet board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember fondly playing Dark Tower. I played a game on my Apple II called Chivalry which had a board with a roll and move mechanic, but the computer resolved the space you landed on. I remember another game that was an Oil Baron kinda game where the computer resolved your chances of finding oil.

Where are the all the hybrid games now which combine electronic components (now ideally tablets) and analog components?

Seems to me that Electronic Battleship makes regular Battleship more fun. Why aren't there more game designs like this out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because bridging cardboard and tablets in a meaningful way is hard. In most cases you either end up with a product that wedges in some tablet app purely for novelty's sake or the developers realize that what little physical aspect remains might as well be ported to the electronic side as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LEADERS: The Combined Strategy Game

Saw it at Spiel - looked nice enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
LEADERS: The Combined Strategy Game

Saw it at Spiel - looked nice enough

AWESOME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Golem Arcana

It was Kickstarted. Not out yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
veector wrote:
I remember fondly playing Dark Tower. I played a game on my Apple II called Chivalry which had a board with a roll and move mechanic, but the computer resolved the space you landed on. I remember another game that was an Oil Baron kinda game where the computer resolved your chances of finding oil.

Where are the all the hybrid games now which combine electronic components (now ideally tablets) and analog components?

Seems to me that Electronic Battleship makes regular Battleship more fun. Why aren't there more game designs like this out there?

There is no part of a board game you cannot do with a computer, so why bother with the physical components?

Similarly, needing to use a computer (large or small) misses the point of why a huge number of people choose to play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sifteo Cubes are a step in the direction. However I think they will be greatly underutilized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Sentinels of the Multiverse Sidekick app for my Ipad. Nice addition to the game, more than just a score tracker, I think it fits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxcars, or the AH classic, Rail Baron, both are basically the same game. The new Boxcars app or older apps for Rail Baron, can be used interchangeably for either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McDougal
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm experimenting with a game that uses a tablet to keep track of hidden information for the different players - but there are actually ways to then view other players' secrets without alerting them that you've done so. The tablet is passed around, players input their moves (including public & private information), and at the end of this phase the public information is shown so that the board can be updated.

It is correct, though, that it's far too easy to let a design like this fall into the "Why isn't this just a tablet game?" or "Why isn't this just a board game?" trap. For our first game of this style, we've decided to not worry so much about these types of questions and instead focus on making the tablet such an integral, seamless, and fun part of the experience that you can't imagine playing without it, even though it would be possible to replicate its mechanisms with physical pieces. It generates different, but interesting board layouts for the modular board every time you play. There are short, voice-controlled arcade-style minigames on the tablet that everyone gets to participate in at once, and affect the game in major ways. It's a cooperative game, and the enemy AI is made much more interesting when you can control him with more complex algorithms than just card draws and dice rolls. Variable-length timers add an interesting real-time component to the game so you never know quite how much time you have left in the phase that uses them. There are plenty of other cool features, too - but the best thing is, you never have to turn your attention away from the board and the other players. There are no complex interactions with the tablet, just a tap to let it know to move to the next turn (and some yelling when the mini-games come up)

Plus, there's so much more that you can do outside of the game itself. Confused about a rule? How about a context-sensitive database of examples just a click away, instead of thumbing through the rule book again? How about updates to scenarios delivered in-app?

I'll be able to post more about the game soon, but don't worry: these types of games are coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.