Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just finished my first game last night, and it seems to me that these new survivors are a lot better than the old, especially Joshua and his awesome ability to save people from certain death at no action cost. Also Shannon is really good as well as Neema from TCM. Anyone else feel this way. I now the game is still pretty well balanced because of the Berserkers, but the old survivors would probably get their butts kicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally disagree, in my opinion:
Wanda is still the fastest.
Amy is still the most well rounded.
Josh is slippery.
Doug can search up even more weapons than before.
And Ned will still lose the keys, but have more opportunities to find the gas.

Claudia and Eva are still the best tanks.

I feel that GG has done a good job of putting together skill sets for this game, and if you don't have any promos the base game survivors are a must have.

... Phil is good at the endgame.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belle is the new Amy! I agree to a certain point. With combat being such a big aspect of PO the survivors from that game are better equipped to deal with the Berserkers in terms of skills. However, a huge part of the game is still down to what equipment you find, and making sure the right people are equipped with the right equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:
it seems to me that these new survivors are a lot better than the old, especially Joshua

I AM pretty awesome...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the S1 survivors, but will be trying out a few of the new ones. With the iOS app not yet filled with S2 survivors, it's not that easy to get too excited about them, since they take more work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Butcher
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only Season 1 survivors that have suffered are those that were overrated anyway (Josh and Nick IMO). Season 2 and TCM have their share of mediocre survivors (Elsa springs to mind).
And, Jonah, I agree mostly except:
jonahmaul wrote:
Belle is the new Amy!

No... Surely not. Between the two I'd use Amy every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kirk's is trans formative. The ability to kill an abom out of the gate is fairly hard core. But, it is situational and not necessarially as powerful as Wanda's move for example. But it does change the feel of the game imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
juggler42 wrote:
I think Kirk's is trans formative. The ability to kill an abom out of the gate is fairly hard core. But, it is situational and not necessarially as powerful as Wanda's move for example. But it does change the feel of the game imo.

You're right, situational is the key, definitely. I've played any number of games where we've never had to worry about an abomination, so choosing a survivor particularly for his ability to deal with them might mean compromising strengths in other areas (but likewise if you know there's an abomination to deal with right out of the gate it's a nice option to have).

Ultimately, the game is still about picking the right team for the job (or blind picking survivors and seeing how well you can cope!), so I'm not too worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First (and only) game I played with Kirk he killed an Abomination really early on in the game, it's a really useful skill to have. We never pick survivors based on the mission though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that besides a few new survivors like Joshua (who is awesome), most are very comparable to season 1's survivors in net worth. Kirk is similar to El Cholo or Eagle Chaz (all three are awesome and kick Abomination rear). There are a few that excel most other survivors (Claudia for example), but this is the same for both seasons.

Nick is still the MVP imho with tough, esp with prison outbreak's shield cards. Shrugging off damage makes your survivor very durable and forgiving, and Nick can do this as a Zombivor too.

The only survivors that really took a hit from season 1 are Phil and Troy, which is sad as I have a soft spot for Phil. Otherwise I think GG did a good job with balancing the new survivor's shiny new skills compared to season 1's survivors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found Joshua, Kirk and Raoul to be the most useful of the new survivors.

Joshua's Lifesaver skill is, well...a life saver. Kirk kicks El Cholo right out of the group, as he's an Abomination killer out of the gate and El Cholo can only do the same after 43 kills and only with machetes. Eagle Chaz still has to wait til Red Level too. We've also found Webbing to be very useful as Raoul can dual wield claw hammers and sawed-offs at the same time. Or any melee/ranged combo you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
455_PWR wrote:
Nick is still the MVP imho with tough, esp with prison outbreak's shield cards. Shrugging off damage makes your survivor very durable and forgiving, and Nick can do this as a Zombivor too.

Personally I don't find Nick that good. Early game Tough is very useful, but once you get to orange (and sometimes yellow), and with the inclusion of dogz and berserkers, you are rarely attacked by just a single zombie and so Tough is often negated. That's not to say it's useless all the time, but I've found it's not as good as it appears.

Putting a survivor named Joshua is just daft though We had him and Josh in a game the other day and it got confusing as we kept calling Joshua Josh as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
Putting a survivor named Joshua is just daft though

I quite agree. Should have been 'Scott' instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
msg tools
The S2 survivors fall well within the range of the S1 survivors. Josh, Wanda, and Amy remain top-tier survivors, Ned and Doug are still OK, and Phil is still useless. Similarly, Joshua, Grindlock, and Kim can take on any mission without fear while Watts, Belle, and Shannon are only OK.

Many S2 abilities are very powerful, but the stronger S1 abilities remain as effective as always. Slippery will always prove the be-all, end-all of Zombicide abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taunt, lifesaver and shove are quite handy for manipulating zombie crowds.
they really increase the effectiveness and longevity of the survivors.

the tough skill is quite nice, it allows to survive some of the unpredictable situations, like zombies spawning on top of you at a sewer manhole and extra activations.

zombie link is a nice skill as well, it can help to cull the biggest zombie threat just before they perform their extra activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

after playing a few games I have learned that some of the new abilities and survivors are almost necessary with the addition of toxic, berserker, and dog zombies.

Webbing, lifesaver, steady hand, and +1 damage are absolutely amazing and almost needed now that there is a greater chance for fatties, abominations, and multiple types of zombies in groups.

However I still think that Eagle Chaz, El Cholo, Nick, Claudia, and Doug are just as viable and hold their weight in Season 2. Chaz's number of attacks can be priceless against large zombie hoards, El Cholo starts with decent equipment which can speed up the game, tough can save Nick even in the later half of the game when large hoards start to clamp down on the group, and claudia and doug don't really need an explanation on why they are still great.

Zombicide is a team game and no survivor does well on their own... some of the previously listed survivors complement the new survivors well, even though - I do agree that - some of the new survivors' skills seem to outshine season 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
jonahmaul wrote:
Putting a survivor named Joshua is just daft though We had him and Josh in a game the other day and it got confusing as we kept calling Joshua Josh as well!

I think Cornbread is the official variant name to avoid confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.