Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, due to the image the letters and pips cannot be seen without a stroke outline.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Add a drop shadow to the outlined font on the fish to add a further contrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

The font size and suit icons look a little disproportional to the rest of the card. It seems like they should be slightly bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd maybe soften the colors on the Red and Blacks. The art itself has a nice soft look so instead of a vivid red and dark black something more earthy and a cool grey would be interesting to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It look great, but try to out-zoom the image, to see like printed size, to be sure that the stroke it's not to thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SebasKO wrote:
It look great, but try to out-zoom the image, to see like printed size, to be sure that the stroke it's not to thin.

Exactly what Paul said, add a bit of a drop shadow to the font on the fish card. Also, have you thought about eliminating the background in that card, like maybe just having the fish? You may want that particular card to stand out, in which case this would work. The background looks nice, it's just that it looks different from the other two. Other than that, this looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To soften the stroke around the letters/numbers over a background like that, you might try a lighter tint of the letter color itself. Use a pink or rose color instead of hard white.

Besides that, a mild drop shadow as mentioned by others will help give the text a bit of depth over looking static and pasted on; however, the provided example already contains some shadow from the riverbank at the same spot, and you don't want to overdo it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zorin_productions wrote:
SebasKO wrote:

Exactly what Paul said, add a bit of a drop shadow to the font on the fish card. Also, have you thought about eliminating the background in that card, like maybe just having the fish? You may want that particular card to stand out, in which case this would work. The background looks nice, it's just that it looks different from the other two. Other than that, this looks great!

Well the river cards are aligned in a row to represent a "flowing river" until you have a sum of 21. So thematically the river cards are used for that and the face cards are just supplemental anglers/fishermen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better or worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Better or worse?

With the white outline and the shadow - not replacing.

This got worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. Needs the stroke back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to make vibrant custom suits to help with contrast.

Cloud, Sun, LadyBug, lilypad

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Another option is to make vibrant custom suits to help with contrast.

If it is otherwise a standard deck, stay standard so people can play other games with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
The cards are already abstract. So to keep in line with the Queen and King, you can abstract the water element rather than having a literal stream background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The king/queen/jack are secondary to the river cards, so I would change them before the rivers. Your design is nice and concise but cards with just fish as the pips doesn't seem quite as thematic to me and has already been done for go fish.

Perhaps if you see the rules you will understand why the main focus is actually the river cards. The current rules for the game are here (with visuals of the game at the end). Keeping the suits on the cards was just to allow for go fish or any other traditional game use but was not really my main focus for this custom thematic deck.

How would you change the face cards then to match the rivers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
My 10-minute design:

River cards would be blue. Just a blue background with possible green tones. On that would be large number (2-10) that takes up more than half the space of the card. Under that number would be "count" in a smaller sized font.

The number represents how much fish count the river card has and the color.

Trophy fish cards would be blue similar to the river cards. But instead of the large number, it would be the shape of a trophy with a fish on top.

Fisherman cards would be green/yellow/or orange (to contrast the blue river cards). On each would be a tan fisherman's hat. A "jack" fisherman card would be a green background with six hooks in his hat. A "queen" fisherman card would be yellow with seven hooks. A "king" would be orange with eight hooks.

The number of hooks a hat has represents the number of points scored with that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gsimpson wrote:
My 10-minute design:

River cards would be blue. Just a blue background with possible green tones. On that would be large number (2-10) that takes up more than half the space of the card. Under that number would be "count" in a smaller sized font.

The number represents how much fish count the river card has and the color.

Trophy fish cards would be blue similar to the river cards. But instead of the large number, it would be the shape of a trophy with a fish on top.

Fisherman cards would be green/yellow/or orange (to contrast the blue river cards). On each would be a tan fisherman's hat. A "jack" fisherman card would be a green background with six hooks in his hat. A "queen" fisherman card would be yellow with seven hooks. A "king" would be orange with eight hooks.

The number of hooks a hat has represents the number of points scored with that card.

Nice ideas, I will work on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the shadowing and stroke together. And a possible trophy icon for the aces. Thoughts?

Again, keep in mind that the focus is the thematic nature of the custom deck while allowing the functionality of a standard deck when desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
Thoughts?

Already offered so I'm just going to give a gut gamer opinion.
Don't see the appeal of a custom deck that is a standard deck as well. Seems like short-changing what the fish game could be in order to appeal to traditional card players. Which in all likelihood already have a standard deck of cards making your custom/standard deck redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some background: So when I first made this deck it just had the fish and names like novice angler, master angler etc. People consistently asked to have numbers accompany the fish cards because they mentally added up the river cards faster with a number present. Then as ideas for adding the number developed, people requested having them match the card suits and numbers so these would be used with go fish and other games with their children.

Additionally I have an extended set that adds new abilities and characters not bound by the 52 card format. I did not include all this information in the OP or previously in this thread because I thought it was irrelevant.

In this particular thread I was asking about the font on the image, not how to change the overall card to a more abstract or thematic interpretation.

And I am a little confused. At first you offered abstract advice and even made images with the less thematic cards. Now you say you see no reason to use the suits because it ruins the thematic nature. Now you are writing it off completely without knowing the reasoning or plan for multiple versions. But thank you for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
And I am a little confused. At first you offered abstract advice and even made images with the less thematic cards. Now you say you see no reason to use the suits because it ruins the thematic nature. Now you are writing it off completely without knowing the reasoning or plan for multiple versions. But thank you for the feedback.

For the sake of clarity this is the advice I offered:

1) Standard card decks are abstracted to value and suit. You showed cards that emulated standard cards with thematic backgrounds. I replied that standard cards are abstract, so for the sake of viewing value and suit, scale back on the "river" background. Example was shown how the idea works with a standard card deck format.

2) Custom card decks show theme. You mentioned that another game did the goldfish as pips and asked "How would you change the face cards then to match the rivers? " Looked over your rules and replied with a custom design of the cards to push the theme.

3) Audience want. You blew off advice for both standard and custom card decks, repeating for the third time that its a hybrid deck so "thoughts" must be towards that. I replied that, hey, my thoughts are that I wouldn't buy a hybrid deck because if I play standard card games, I would just use a standard deck and (like most card players) already own one.

Say that I am blowing it off, but its not because of anything personal here on the forums, Gregg. It is apparent that I'm not part of your audience and you are not trying to go after what I, just me as a gamer, would go after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some random thoughts:

The traditional playing card font makes this deck look like custom photo playing cards - i.e. nice graphics pasted into a standard template. The clear shapes of the font don't match the comics style. I think a hand drawn font could feel a lot more natural.

The #000000 black text is not in harmony with the #103040-ish black contours in the artwork.

I'm not sure what to think about mixing white borders (court cards) and no borders (river cards). Feels weird, but it's hard to say without seeing the full deck in a real-life setting (cf. Gary's table background).

The cloud/sun example looks quite nice, but only makes sense if weather conditions etc. would have significance in the game.

In summary: great artwork, poor graphics design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the cards in the original post are fine. I would not use a fuzzy drop shadow… drop shadows can be overdone. A fuzzy shadow brings in a photorealistic element, when the rest of the art is clean lines and "comic" style. If a drop shadow must be used, I would try to match the fish and riverbank shadows in style. But the river shadow on the left already provides a darker backdrop, you could make the right shadow match for when the card is held upside-down. The first post shows a red suit, but with the white stroke, black suit will hopefully be ok (stroke could be thickened if not).

Another option to make the number clearer would be pushing the green riverbank in more, so that the number has just the green riverbank behind it.

I've heard people say cards should always have white borders. Possibly so when viewed in a stack from the side, you can't tell which cards are which. This may not really matter much in this type of game though.

For King/Queen/Jack face cards, I'm wondering if you could even just use the exact same background as the fish/river cards. That might look totally fine and tie the face cards into the same feel as everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.