CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama can't run again, and that is a fact. Love him or hate him, he's retiring. It looks like Hillary will be running in 2016, and for me that is a big "meh".

But I would like to know, if anyone in the field today, who would you like to run and win for president in 2016?

My candidate of choice would probably be Gary Johnson. He's a fiscally conservative but also social progressive.

While he isn't my perfect candidate, he is a nice compromise that I think is what Washington needs now. He supports drug decriminalization, same sex marriage, pro-choice, separation of church and state, military cuts and a global non-intervention policy.

He does believe in cuts to some bloated social programs, that I am a little "iffy" on, but I do believe those programs could you some re-evaluation and overhaul.

And to some this may surprise you about me, but he does support a Fair Tax with a consumption tax, which is something I've always though would be a good replacement.

I voted for Gary both times while he was Governor of New Mexico, and I was always satisfied with his role in that position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think people obsess over the presidency wayyyyyy too fucking much. Seriously, it's 3 years away. This is like walking into a store the day after Halloween and being surrounded by Christmas decorations.

If people cared half as much about who was representing them in Congress as they cared about who was sitting in the white house, we'd be in a lot better shape. They are the ones that make the laws. The president can't get shit done without their cooperation, as we've seen repeatedly over the past few years. The constant obsession with the president just seems to demonstrate exactly why most of humanity lived under emperors and kings throughout history. Maybe it's just easier for our monkey brains to only have one person that we can look at and dump all our hatred/adoration onto when it comes to all the country's woes and triumphs.

Besides, it's only one year until those elections. Want to change the government? Focus on that.

Anyway... nothing personal to the OP, just a little rant. Sorry to hijack.
So... back on topic, my pick for President in 2016 would be Kodos.

No... Kang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

And to some this may surprise you about me, but he does support a Fair Tax with a consumption tax, which is something I've always though would be a good replacement.

So, he supports massive tax cuts for the wealthy and increased taxes on poor people. I think I'll pass.

My dream candidate would be Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
Personally I think people obsess over the presidency wayyyyyy too fucking much. Seriously, it's 3 years away. This is like walking into a store the day after Halloween and being surrounded by Christmas decorations.

You know what you get when you wait till the last minute to choose a candidate?

Romney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
das Andere wrote:

Romney.

Didn't a lot of states start the process for the GOP primaries earlier than usual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillary. Or one of those other sucky Democrats. Because bashing Obama is Waaay more fun than defending Bush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dream is Santorum Cruz.

What an amazing clusterfuck that would be to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Johnson has terrible hair. He'll never be president without fixing that.

I very much wish I was kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
das Andere wrote:

Romney.

I know it's cool to hate on Romney, but I honestly believe that if he were elected, our country would be in a much better situation right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
das Andere wrote:

Romney.

I know it's cool to hate on Romney, but I honestly believe that if he were elected, our country would be in a much better situation right now.

In what way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:

It's not Romney that people hate, it's the interests that control him and who he is beholden to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing. I know conservatives are really good at pointing out what is wrong with everything, but I'd like to hear what they think would be the right direction, who will fill that slot and why.

I mean, if they just do nothing but rail on Obama(who isn't running again) for the next 2 years, then this race will be over before it begins.

Tell us what you want to see, not what you dislike. Tell us how this person is aligned with your outlook. SHIT, tell us your outlook! "Down with Obamacare" is the worst one dimensional platform known to politics. And it will be a losing platform in 2016. I guarantee it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

So, he supports massive tax cuts for the wealthy and increased taxes on poor people. I think I'll pass.

A fair tax, without loopholes that the wealthy can exploit, would be a big tax increase for the rich who currently stash their money in investment portfolios with ridiculously low tax rates. Thus it will never happen.

One would need to strictly monitor what goods would be exempt as basic necessities of life so that the poor don't see a vast tax increase, but otherwise the plan could be reasonably successful and an improvement on the current abortion that is the U.S. tax code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote Libertarian unless Ron Paul or Rand paul are running, so my vote wont matter.

I would be interested in hearing more from Scott Walker or Ben Carson. these two could possible make me jump ship unless Rand runs for the GOP nomination.

I want a fiscal conservative social liberal or just a Jeffersonian classic liberal, but wont be holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

A fair tax, without loopholes that the wealthy can exploit, would be a big tax increase for the rich who currently stash their money in investment portfolios with ridiculously low tax rates. Thus it will never happen.

One would need to strictly monitor what goods would be exempt as basic necessities of life so that the poor don't see a vast tax increase, but otherwise the plan could be reasonably successful and an improvement on the current abortion that is the U.S. tax code.

OK. What rate would the flat tax be set at that would do what you say it will do and be able to fund the government. And while we are at it, can you point me to any country in the world that does this successfully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Please note that I only think this is workable if the investment tax matches the level of the fair tax. Without an investment tax a fair tax is absolutely shifting the majority of the tax burden on to the poor and disappearing middle classes. It would be an orgasm for trickle down zealots, and we've already proven that they're nutty as squirrel shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Kafka wrote:
My dream candidate would be Elizabeth Warren . . .

Because you have a thing for pathological liars with absolutely no executive experience?

No because I live in the real world not right wing fantasy land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can get there from here with the Fair Tax, but one thing I think they do have right is steering clear of exemptions. The "prebate" is by far a better way to reduce or eliminate the impact on the poor, both because it does so directly (by essentially setting the tax rate at zero up to whatever is the set amount) rather than by trying to come up with a basket of what poor people need and then also not taxing anyone else on those things and because it greatly reduces the incentive for lobbying to get various gray area items onto the exempt list.

If we're going to bash the Fair Tax, let's do it for its problems rather than what it does right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

OK. What rate would the flat tax be set at that would do what you say it will do and be able to fund the government. And while we are at it, can you point me to any country in the world that does this successfully?

I don't know the maths, but I'm guessing it's somewhere close to the approximately 18% median tax rate we currently have, perhaps with a slight increase because our tax revenues are below what I think they should be.

No, I'm not going to point you to a country that does this. Why does that matter in the slightest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

Please note that I only think this is workable if the investment tax matches the level of the fair tax. Without an investment tax a fair tax is absolutely shifting the majority of the tax burden on to the poor and disappearing middle classes. It would be an orgasm for trickle down zealots, and we've already proven that they're nutty as squirrel shit.

Can you clarify what you mean by investment tax? How would it work and on what would it be charged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by investment tax? How would it work and on what would it be charged?

A tax upon investment growth and dividends. I don't support a fair tax which shifts the entire tax to consumption. I think replacing the income tax with a consumption tax is reasonable and workable, but investment is an area that also needs its own tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think what the OP misses is that disliking a president who is a pathological liar and butt-fucked the very people who got him elected is a lot more than just 'hatin on someone'. The goal here, for me anyway, is to supplant the entitlement meme and the special interest billionaires that effectively got this criminal the presidency with at least a dawning awareness of how diseased and destructive modern American liberal ideology is for America. And eventually it's friends and allies.

Obama has to be disgraced because if that can be accomplished then his whole house of cards will be difficult to keep standing. We did it to Bush by exposing his terrible and underhanded TARP deals and his two-faced immigration policy and we ended up with a loathsome liar who makes even Bush look inviting.

Destroy the modern American Left by exposing it's lies, it's sweetheart deals with Wall St and Big Biz that would make even the most avaricious and greedy criminal drool with lust and finally get the Left out of the business of segmenting and victimizing targeted groups of Americans and keeping them as vote hostages with lies about racism and with a steady trickle of "just enough" cash and goods to allow them to tread water.

Just the idea that this future battle might be about R versus D is infantile and demonstrates a lack of even basic comprehension of the forces in play in modern American politics.

I'll be behind anyone who demonstrates they want to destroy the wall of lies created by the DC Cabal over the last 40 years and run the real criminals out of there and return government to Americans rather than the hidden rich in the Beltway.

I'd vote for Scott Walker, yes. Not Dr Carson though, he's a lightweight. I want someone like this running the country for a few years -

That would be the diseased and left-leaning American voter on the left... and the new "president" on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Said it before and I'll say it again. Jon Huntsman. Easily the most credentialed person to run in 2012, solid policies that are reasoned and not just playing to the crowd, proven results, shown he can work with a legislature who is not always on board with his vision of things, fostered a robust economy when he was governor... I don't see a downside to this guy except for "He's not far enough to the extreme to suit my extremist tastes."

Gary Johnson would also be a solid consolation prize if I don't get what I want. Of the "realistic," big-name candidates, Christie is the one who doesn't make me curl up in the fetal position and weep softly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I may stay home in 2016 if the GOP doesn't field a decent candidate. I can't bring myself to vote affirmatively for Hilary Clinton, and I'm not Quozl, so unless I can vote for the GOP candidate with a clear conscience I don't see it being worth the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a problem with Tripp's drill sergeant photo. I think he meant this one:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.