BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Pandemic as Gateway? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Reeder
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So I've got a bunch of non-gamer friends coming over tomorrow for a birthday game night.

I feel like co-op games are one of the more interesting genres of contemporary board gaming, and I was wondering whether or not Pandemic might be a good way to introduce them to this type of game?

Forbidden Island is a favorite of our family, and the kids might play it in the other room tomorrow, but I was looking for something a bit more for the adults and something that supports more than 4 people.

Is this a good choice, or will it overwhelm the newbs?

Looking forward to your expert opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good gateway in my opinion, especially if you play at the easiest level and pick the easiest roles to use (ie Medic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that as long as you are familiar with the rules, Pandemic is an excellent gateway game for the situation you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great co-op game (to introduce them to)? yes.

Great gateway game? no.

Pandemic requires multiple plays (even at easy level) before players develop enough strategy to consistently win. When I pick my gateway games to introduce to non-gamers, I pick a game with enough luck that a new person could win (but enough strategy to keep them engaged). Games where everybody loses can be demoralizing. You could alpha-game it, but that's not fun for the others.

Once you convert your friends into gamers, then you can hit them with Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride would be a better choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Forbidden Island, I would consider Forbidden Desert. It's Forbidden Island with added, welcome complexity. I gave away Forbidden Island and am keeping Forbidden Desert. I also used it as a gateway game for a friend who hasn't played games in almost 20 yrs. It was a huge success, even as we died of thirst on the last turn with a huge NOOOOOOOO!!!

Then much laughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidhorm wrote:

Great gateway game? no.

Pandemic requires multiple plays (even at easy level) before players develop enough strategy to consistently win. When I pick my gateway games to introduce to non-gamers, I pick a game with enough luck that a new person could win (but enough strategy to keep them engaged). Games where everybody loses can be demoralizing. You could alpha-game it, but that's not fun for the others.

If you play on easy and offer advice when asked they should have a good chance against it. You can also let them start with extra cards or research stations if you are worried about defeat and the potential for a sour first impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think of Pandemic as a good gateway for non-gamers, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidhorm wrote:

Great gateway game? no.

I think it depends on the friends really. I've used Pandemic as a gateway for some of my own friends (set to easy of course). It can be such an exciting game and is easy to teach. I've had friends just get blown away by it and they said "I never knew board games could be like that!"

That being said, I have some friends who are really only into party games whom I would not (and have not) used Pandemic as a gateway with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Moon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
But my glass is dirty. Will you wipe it for me? Then you might take a peek into my mind ; )
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My very first serious board game was Pandemic (besides MTG) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unlike others, I would recommend this to anyone. I was about to suggest Forbidden Island since it is somewhat 'Pandemic-lite' but you already have that, then go right ahead with Pandemic. Or, since you liked Forbidden Island, do try out its other brother Forbidden Desert as well. It is much different from Forbidden Island, and offers fresh experience. The game can be challenging, and unforgiving, but that could be considered one of charms of the game. Pandemic has been hardly a miss with non-gamers in my experience. I can also think of Flash Point:Fire rescue, but theme of pretending to be a firefighter can be turn off for many people so watch out for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking more back door.
Or the door to the balcony.
Not sure about gateways.

As for nongaming friends - dropping Forbidden Island on the table will work just fine.

Don't forget the golden rule about gaming with nongamers: it's not about you, it's about them. If you desire a specific game, buy it and find somebody you can play it with. If you play with nongamers, it's them who dictate what's going to get played. If you already have FI and look for something cooperative to be played with nongamers I see no justification to buy Pandemic instead.

If I really have to think hard about co-ops games I would recommend you to get for nongamers I'd say these two:
Hanabi - co-op + deduction. And neatly talkative.
Escape: The Curse of the Temple - real time dice rolling madness
Everything else you already have covered with FI.

Hanabi is so cheap I'd recommend getting it even if you only play 2 player (I like it best with 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden Island is what got me into gaming. I remember thinking how cool it was that you could cooperate instead of trying to beat each other. Just make sure to play on easy mode so people don't get discouraged. Then ease into Pandemic or Forbidden Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is an excellent gateway game.

The setting and premise is accessible to just about anyone unlike fantasy, sci-fi, super-heroes, zombies, etc.

The game is fun even if you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Samo's advice. But, like someone else stated, Forbidden Desert is also a good game that falls between Forbidden Island and Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Reeder
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice, all!

I went ahead with Forbidden Desert, for the reasons mentioned, and also because in order to get to 6 players in Pandemic, I'd have to buy both expansions.

Also picked up Mascarade while I was at it. Looks really interesting!

If the evening wanes on and we can manage smaller groups, we'll break out Ticket To Ride, Takenoko, or Small World.

Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoyed it and she is what I would consider a non-gamer. She has a few experiences now, but still a newbie for the most part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It's my favourite game to use as a gateway. I have several times had success with letting a group of board game virgins play it together after just explaining the rules and helping them out with rules and questions. At my gaming group at work it has now been played 3 times in a row by the same group that I introduced it to two months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.