Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,
So I have played this twice now and played once with the DR and now with the 26 July faction. In both games the 26 July faction (myself included) couldn't get a lot of momentum. I was the most successful but then the DR subverted to get resources and away my opposition went. Its seems critical that the 26 July faction make a deal with the DR and then Terror all over the place. Is Havana critical to the 26 July strategy and the other cities? Has anyone had any success with this faction? All the other factions have been close to or have won in our two games. I won with the DR in the first game and then in our last game the syndicate won. It seems like the government is always close to winning in our games. However I have yet to see the 26 July even get anywhere close to their victory condition. All the players in both games have been sort of scratching their heads on the July 26 strategy it seems like the hardest one to play in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 26 July is a difficult faction to play, as all three of the other factions will see you as a threat.

You are absolutely correct that the insurgent factions (DR and M26) need to cooperate early. Conflict between the two only allows the Government and Syndicate to build and "lock down" the western half of the island.

DR players are often happy to take options other than subvert if you offer them the resources directly. I also try to negotiate placing bases in Oriente, Camaguey province, and Las Villas as cooperating insurgents can usually hold off government attacks. Another avenue of cooperation is the DR's ability to rally in areas with passive support. A rallied guerrilla there plus a terror will open the space up to M26 rally.

Look for opportunities to widen the war with marches, rallies, or events. Eventually the government capabilities will decline and you can gain the upper hand in the propaganda war.

Havana is a difficult target, as the Government will usually keep it garrisoned, but look for opportunities to drop support or even gain opposition there. Six points of opposition from terror can be decisive, so always rally or move there is you have the opportunity. If nothing else, it will tie the Government's hands removing the guerrilla.

I talk about 26 July strategy in the Playbook, so take a look there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Troy, this has been my experience as well. What Jeff says makes a lot of sense, as I have found fighting the government, the DR, and trying to terrorize to leave them spread too thin. Hmmm....co-operate, now there is food for thought devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff! Ok sounds like what i have been thinking about after my second game seems to be headed on the right path. I actually enjoy the 26 July faction the most since it makes me really think and makes me want to learn how to play them well. Its like a challenge within the game. I must have missed that advice in the playbook because i looked but I will look again. Overall LOVING Cuba Libre and all the coin games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another consideration (you may already have thought of) is that to Subvert, DR must have Control. If M26 and DR are hammer and tongs (or you suspect they will) you have to defend your Opposition against DR Control, eg with Ambushes or your superior Rallying capability. Obtaining Opposition where 3rd Factions exist and in Cities, if you can pull it off, offers additional protection against Subversion. vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off my last game (with you) it seems that Castro could consolidate in one area then move to the next. Working with the Syndicate or / (and) the DR seems natural.

I think that you had the right idea but not enough was done against the Syndicate (you were not in a position) to stop an early win for them (me).

Personally I'm loving the game too and can not wait for another rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played again Tuesday night and July26 won in our game. The DR and July26th made a deal and then around mid game the pact came out and the July26th was able to take advantage. He then was able to terror in one final spot before the last propaganda card to take the win. It seemed like terror and neutralizing the DR subvert capability in some way was key . Everyone was very close to wining at different points and so it was a great close game. Excited for another go of this tonight with a different group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Birckhead
United States
Nellysford
virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's slightly off topic but in OUR last game the Government did a Very good job of smacking around the DR and 26July due to some lucky Aid related events...I think at one point the Government had 43 Aid. However it quickly became a fight between the Syndicate and the government while the DR and 26July just couldn't seem to make it back into the fight. It was interesting because it devolved into almost outright warfare between the syndicate and the government. Played about 10 times and this is the only time its happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah in my three games so far I have seen a different faction win each time and the game play different each time. It makes me want to keep coming back for more each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.