Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Alternate Art Cards in Draft Packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you want there to be specialty/alternate art cards in A:NR Draft Packs?
No
Yes, but they should not include prior alternate art cards as they were meant to be rewards
Yes, and they should include prior alt-art cards so players can potentially fill out their collection
      225 answers
Poll created by malhaku


Polls are fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Yes, but not include priors... as much as I want to catch them all, it does kindof devalue them for people who went out of their way to collect them previously.

I'm interested in the draft format, but with 3 cores and 2 of each expansion, I don't see myself interested in picking up temporary use cardboard - but add a collectability aspect (foils, alternate art, etc.) and you've got me sold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the format as a deckbuilding/piloting challenge, but I'm not interested in adding collectability that costs.

I could live with Alternate Art that is distinct to the Draft Format--possibly, not even full bleed; save those for the competitive promos. God knows some of the existing art is...functional. I would rather them not commission new art if that adds cost to the product.

I don't want to see existing/future event/tournament promos in Draft. They are nice, but as we say in Thrones, to get those, you need to Pay The Iron Price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Dead heat so far.

I thought I'd throw up a Poll with the various opinions being thrown around about even the potential of alternate cards in the draft packs. Plus, polls are fun.

To be honest, I really don't have a preference on this one. If they don't decide to do it, I won't look to the stars with a wish. If they do, cool... people like swag.

I would hope that if they did do alt art cards that they wouldn't negate people's previous prizes, but again my heart won't be broken if they do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that since they can clearly produce a pack of cards with any combination of cards they want, I'd like to be able to buy a custom deck of specific cards in POD format with full-bleed alt (or alternate full-bleed art).

They can make 40 cards for $15, I'd pay $20 for 45 cards of my choice printed to make a deck for a tournament with all full-bleed art.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
All those Naysayers...can't believe it.
This would just have upsides for the community but I guess some people simply want to see the world burn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahzrab wrote:
All those Naysayers...can't believe it.
This would just have upsides for the community but I guess some people simply want to see the world burn.


There are a lot of people who have never played limited Magic and are really opposed to these draft packs because they "violate the idea of an LCG" or something. No idea how that's possible, but whatever.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand, it would be cool to have some alt art cards for a reasonable price.

On the other, I don't want to get into paying for what are essentially booster packs to get "rares" in an LCG.

Voted no.

(Before flames, I have no problem with the idea of drafting in A:NR, as long as it's limited to already-existing art/cards)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
On the one hand, it would be cool to have some alt art cards for a reasonable price.

On the other, I don't want to get into paying for what are essentially booster packs to get "rares" in an LCG.

Voted no.

(Before flames, I have no problem with the idea of drafting in A:NR, as long as it's limited to already-existing art/cards)


Too late. SanSan is in there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't care at all about alt art cards, but it's silly not to include them because it'll move product without betraying the LCG distribution promise.
It seems like a logical move on their part. I'm surprised there weren't any in this first set.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahzrab wrote:
All those Naysayers...can't believe it.
This would just have upsides for the community but I guess some people simply want to see the world burn.


Nothing at all to do with why I said no. I just don't want the Chicken Little's to have more reason to hate the Draft Idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
White Rabbit
Canada
Qc
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Maverick96 meant was he does not want to go "alternate/full-bleed art" rare chasing... I really like the idea of drafting A:NR, but I too expect the alt/ art to stay promos for prize support/competition. Otherwise, The completist in me will feel the urge to catch 'hem all (pokemon any1?!), and if so, why not just go back to mtg instead which already has that mechanic. I am all out for drafts in A:NR like I told you (I already have a cube!), but I'd rather you have to "pay the iron price" (GrimwalkerTM) for them.

Ass for the world burning, I think that for some of the people who sweated their way to earn these, well, it's like a statement, saying hey! I won that tournament... Now I dont think that if it was to become widely available, the feeling would stay as much, wouldnt you agree? "But if you start chunking new alt art cards and leave the old ones alone?" I hear you say. Sure, the old ones will stay, but it would be still a truckload of alt art cards and yours would not stick out as much... It would be diluted in a sea of alt art, rendering them less special. At least, that is my opinion, but you can certainly disagree. In any case, I am not one to argue, so I won't. This was only to let people know why some of us feel that it would not be a good thing... And not because we want to burn the world/let the world burn (no malevolent intentions in quoting this ).

(Edited because I mispelled Maverick96 2x ... Sorry 'bout that!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, guys, alt-arts are the best of both worlds! They're collectible without impugning on gameplay! You get the benefits of a (albeit small) aftermarket AND you get to keep the benefits of an LCG.

Furthermore, I also voted that FFG *should not* reprint past alt-arts. These are unique and special trophies, to show that I've been there, I've done that. I missed the PiT and some of the game night kits, and frankly, I don't mind, because I'm still on an even playing field with every other player out there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
Oh man, guys, alt-arts are the best of both worlds! They're collectible without impugning on gameplay! You get the benefits of a (albeit small) aftermarket AND you get to keep the benefits of an LCG.


Right on the money here, I agree 100%.

I voted they should reprint previous alt-arts, but I want to add a caveat: this should only be the 'participation' and less rare alt-arts. So, it could include Melange, Scorched Earth, Eli, PSF, but not Crypsis, Datasucker.

My reasoning is the super-rare cards fall into the category of trophies to me, but having the door prizes or high quantity cards from Game Night Kits really only shows you were playing Netrunner at that time/place. Why not let people who live in other places or joined Netrunner later get a shot at them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The full bleed art in netrunner is generally amazing. I kinda felt the cost to do a draft game was a bit much, but just adding a chance for some more beautiful art would move me from on the fence, to buy one whenever my local place has a draft night.

And maybe this will allow them to finance more alt art! I can't see the down sides.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Too late. SanSan is in there.


This is a little bit of a self-solving problem. You already have to buy a 3rd core set at $25-30 to get your 3rd Desperado and Sansan, which drives the price of each of them up to about half the price of a core set. This is the maximum price for these cards, essentially, since you can and will always be able to just buy a core set to get them.

Now that draft packs are out, basically no one will have to buy a 3rd core because surplus Sansans and Desperados will be opened in drafts and distributed to the player base for what we can only assume will be a lower cost than what we have to pay to get them now. If we assume the prices will settle at around $5 a piece, unless people are getting out of this world lucky and opening multiples of core-set one-ofs in each of their draft boosters, you can basically assume that the cards in a draft set will at best cover half the cost of the pack.

People will not be cracking draft packs or even drafting more than they actually want to just to try to lotto into some of the more valuable cards. It simply will not make financial sense, (unless there actually are alt-art cards in the draft packs, which we have no reason to think that there are).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Nuncheon

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mediohxcore wrote:
[q="etherial"]Now that draft packs are out, basically no one will have to buy a 3rd core because surplus Sansans and Desperados will be opened in drafts and distributed to the player base for what we can only assume will be a lower cost than what we have to pay to get them now.


If Sansan and Desperado are the only things you are getting out of that 3rd coreā€¦

Netrunner draft pack: $12, ??% chance of getting a sansan.
Netrunner core set: ~$25, 100% chance of getting a sansan and a desperado.

I wouldn't count on the price dropping too much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Aitken
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I voted no. The extended art cards are a good reward for play, and have a certain rarity to them that makes them valuable. If you just start putting them into draft packs that anyone can buy off the shelf, it takes the value, both monetary and prestigious, out of them. One could argue that anyone can buy these on ebay or trade for them, but I would counter that this is still benefiting the players who initially earned them.

The only way I would accept alternate art cards in the draft packs is if they put alternate art into the regular frames, and the art was the same on the draft cards. Ex: the art on San San is different in draft packs, but all San San cards in the draft set have the same art.

I think these draft packs are a cool idea, but using their POD service causes a problem. The different colored backs can be solved with opaque sleeves, but I'm assuming the cards are also slightly bigger like the extended art promos. I stopped using my promos because, after some practice, I am now able to easily feel where they are in a sleeved deck. This means the extended art identities are fine because they don't sit in a deck, but now I could theoretically change my agendas to draft versions and easily tell when they are coming up.

j
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dstinct wrote:
I voted no. The extended art cards are a good reward for play, and have a certain rarity to them that makes them valuable. If you just start putting them into draft packs that anyone can buy off the shelf, it takes the value, both monetary and prestigious, out of them. One could argue that anyone can buy these on ebay or trade for them, but I would counter that this is still benefiting the players who initially earned them.


See, I agree with your sentiment here, and I think your concern is easily addressed by not reprinting existing alt-arts. Draft Packs shouldn't include the alt-Melanges or alt-Scorches or whatever - they should be new alt-arts. Or maybe even alt-alt-Melanges! It would be different trophies for different experiences.

As a side note, I'm really glad we're talking about alternate-art cards instead of foils or holograms. Foils and holograms are played out, and FFG gets to commission more work from Liiga and Mauricio and Adam Doyle and other artists we love.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.