Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a couple times and although I haven't played Mall of Horror or City of Horror I'd say it's quite a bit different. It does have going to different locations to search for cards (you could deduce that from the item page on the PHG store), but the similarities probably end there.

This game is unique because it operates in the "gray" area of your relationship to other players. True traitors of course are 100% against you, and you against them. And in City of Horror ultimately you HAVE to turn on people, lifeboat style, in order to win. Those are black and white relationships, but Dead of Winter is in the gray. You generally all ARE working together for real, but everybody's got their little things that push them in a different direction that they're gonna claim are for the group but are really for themselves. Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
travis Myers
United States
salt lake city
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir, have convinced me to pre-order this game. I could always use more convincing between the differences though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like Dead of Winter has a team/victory concept that is rarely visited.

In most games, there is a single winner, or a single winning team. If any person or team wins, then all other people are teams lose. This describes City of Horror, which does not even have teams.

In the case of teams, usually the teams are known in advance and do not change throughout the game. There are some nice cases that violate this, such as Battlestar Galactica where teams are hidden, and Rex where the teams might change during the game. But still, the game ends in one team winning and all other teams losing.

Of course, a fully cooperative game can be thought of as a team game, where there happens to be only one team.

It is very rare for a game to allow for multiple winners, without having rigidly defined "teams". The only games that I know of like this are Cosmic Encounter and Level 7 Escape (which feels like a co-op but really is not). It is very nice to see another game in this category, and I am especially thrilled that they intend to make a series of games with this mechanic.

I feel that this mechanic really creates interesting interactions between players, because it creates relationships between players which are much more realistic. In real life, any two people can usually find some things to agree about, and some things to disagree about, with varying levels of intensity. You can't capture such a relationship in a game where players are only classified as one of two things: "Ally" or "Enemy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Vany
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
I've played it a couple times and although I haven't played Mall of Horror or City of Horror I'd say it's quite a bit different. It does have going to different locations to search for cards (you could deduce that from the item page on the PHG store), but the similarities probably end there.

This game is unique because it operates in the "gray" area of your relationship to other players. True traitors of course are 100% against you, and you against them. And in City of Horror ultimately you HAVE to turn on people, lifeboat style, in order to win. Those are black and white relationships, but Dead of Winter is in the gray. You generally all ARE working together for real, but everybody's got their little things that push them in a different direction that they're gonna claim are for the group but are really for themselves. Very cool.

You summed it up perfectly! Everyone is working together and at the same time not. I am super impressed by this one and everything works so well together, our group got sucked right in and is one of the few games that complete and everyone immediately wants to play it again. When its a victory after a tough game there have been rounds of high fives in celebration. To me that says a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.