Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

We love the game and play 4-player from time to time.

We are trying our first 6-player game this weekend but I fear that someone is going to be killed quickly and have to sit around while the game goes on and on...

Has this been trouble for anyone else? I don't want to host a boring time for anyone.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. IMO this is the only problem with this game. Everyone can gang up on one player and that player will be out on the first couple of rounds. Then he'll have to wait for another 45min to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Can definitely be a problem

You can be killed before even taking a turn then have to wait for ages as the end game grinds forever on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it can be a problem, especially in larger games. Its possible for a player to only get one turn (or not even get a turn) before they're eliminated.

I find this is especially true with new players who just want to shoot someone on their first turn and that leads to a lot of "he's an outlaw/deputy/renegade" and gets ganged up on by the opposing group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm. Perhaps this is not the game for this weekend! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Milloy
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, I think so. We always play at lunch at work, so if you get out and don't want to wait around, you just go back to your desk. However, it was less of a problem as we got more experienced playing as a group.

Samurai Sword is the sequel to Bang! that does not have the player elimination problem. It's also more subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaVinci solved this "issue" in Samurai Sword, check it out.

OOPS, same reply. Sorry Jeffrey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing where the first player killed (Unless its the sheriff) comes back in when their turn comes up next, but set their health equal to the next lowest players health.

And DEFINITELY don't forget the no beer with 2 players rule!

Or play with one of the event decks, they both have some form of reanimation in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Player elimination is somewhat the point of the game (for many of the players anyway), thus if it is likely to be an issue, I would suggest trying something else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! "SHOOTOUT AT THE O.K CORRAL"

We play this at the club like this so people don't sit around waiting to join in again.
Don't pick rolls ,just a mad shootout.
Just keep the character cards you kill , the dead player draws a new character card and hand.
Play carries on with the player who has just got a kill.
When no more character cards are left , the one with the most cards wins.
If you have a tie , then count the bullets on the character cards the "LOWEST" score wins.

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hackelton
United States
Nanjemoy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one time, was last in the string of 6 of us and was knocked out before ever taking a turn. I was a deputy; think the Sheriff killed me. Still love the game, just don't play it often enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamin Mills
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, it is a problem, usually for us only when we get to 8+ player games. I think 6 is usually fine.

What I do with experienced players is use the "ghost" rules that I found on Wikipedia years ago, unfortunately I don't seem them online at the moment.

Basically the dead characters get to play a poker hand each round to get to do one thing like shoot a bullet, draw a card, give health, or discard a card. I can find more detail for you if you are interested.

Personally I think it helps the game a lot, you just have to find people willing to learn a second set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to this, but expansions can fix or hinder the problem, depending on which expansions.

Ghost Town from Highnoon is great, allows every dead character to come back for 1 turn.

Dead Man from Fistful of Cards is also great, it returns the 1st dead player back, but with only 2 lives.

Fan made expansion(s) (Death Mesa?) may create the opposite problem, never played it, by bringing to many back to life and extend the game to long.

The same can be true with the Shadow variant from Gold Rush expansion.

Player elimination is part of the game, I have played other games, like Robo Rally, where cut thoat play is hated by some people. Fortunately 1 friend's wife who is like this, has learned to happily not play with us.

Yesterday we played our 1st game with Ghost Town and Dead man, the game ended during the Ghost Town turn which came after dead Man, but I thought it was a nice balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.