Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Family game night is usually once a week and there are usually 6 of us playing. So I tend to look for games that can accomodate 6 or 7.

Now, I REALLY want to get this game, but the 2-5 players is holding me back (I don't want to leave any family member out and we like playing together). Soooo, is it possible without destroying the balance of the game? Has anyone out there tried it? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really unless you did teams and that is lame IMHO. You might want to check out Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients thought it won't be out for a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always just have a 2nd overlord and have them split the groups up.

Adding heroes is a bad idea, as you would have to somehow add an equal number of monsters per group and hope that is enough to balance it. Not all monsters are created equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an OL I would have loved to have a second player helping me. You can share the control of the monster groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fscx
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run 6 players (1 overlord 5 players) most of the time and for 5 heroes and have come up with a sorta simple yet convoluted system. Which is if I have an extra Monster of a given type, mostly from 1st ed monsters, I add 1 for the extra hero if I do not have the extra I add extra wounds, usually 2 to 5 depending act and player builds. For Lieutenants I add health bump equal to what they get for 4 heroes and I bump up their Defense Die brown to grey grey to black. If the Lieutenant has a Black die already they get an additional brown die. And after talking to some of the FFG people at Gencon they stated that they give the overlord an extra card drawn per hero over 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the most exciting way of running 6 players but you can always have 2 players controlling a character and familiar.

I have had a team of 2 that basically each controlled a mage and her reanimate familiar, they switched each round so that they alternately controlled the character and the familiar. They both enjoyed it.

Like I said this isn't the most exciting way to play it but it does work and you don't need to change any rules what so ever.

Edit: I suppose you could make this work with 7 if you had 2 characters with familiars, I have no experience with this though. There's a chance that this might get a bit busy around the table with so many people trying to talk about what to do (I'm not going to lie, it got a little but like that with 5 "hero players" but was still good fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
fscx wrote:
I run 6 players (1 overlord 5 players) most of the time and for 5 heroes and have come up with a sorta simple yet convoluted system. Which is if I have an extra Monster of a given type, mostly from 1st ed monsters, I add 1 for the extra hero if I do not have the extra I add extra wounds, usually 2 to 5 depending act and player builds. For Lieutenants I add health bump equal to what they get for 4 heroes and I bump up their Defense Die brown to grey grey to black. If the Lieutenant has a Black die already they get an additional brown die. And after talking to some of the FFG people at Gencon they stated that they give the overlord an extra card drawn per hero over 4.

This is kind of what I was hoping for. Thanks for all the responses, guys! I definitely feel that this will work for the family! Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
You could run two maps at the same time. Gives you more to do as an overlord too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pipkin Oselsen
msg tools
colmmccarthy wrote:
fscx wrote:

I like the sound of this. I definitely would not run with any more than five heroes though. If you've got seven players, then I'd have five heroes and a team of two overlords (and still give the OL all of the bonuses mentioned above).

Similarly I've run 7 players (1 Overlord and 6 Heroes) and used the same bonuses.

Lacking additional models I've used Elementals to represent Merriods and Zombies to represent Flesh Moulders etc when upping the Monster numbers (plus one per Hero) or simply added a whole extra Monster Group. If subbing in models to represent other models is confusing, then just allow yourself Reinforcements (plus one per Hero above 4) when Monsters are killed (which could even mean plus one Shadow Dragon).

Having the extra Heroes creates an imbalance of 'actions' available to the players, given that you can't often concentrate monsters against them all at once having lots of extra monsters isn't really a game breaker.

Sometimes the first mission is a walkover for the Heroes and the second mission is usually still a challenge (I've had Splig defeated only six squares from the exit and Frederick down to 1 hit point). There can be a problem when Heroes have spent xp and got lots more tricks up their sleeve but you can give the Overlord a bonus xp per mission given that the players are gaining fifty percent more total xp per mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group played most of a campaign with 5 heroes awhile ago. We used the KISS rule. I think the only change we made was in the order of activation:

Three heroes activate first; OL activates one monster group; remainder of heroes activate; OL finishes his monster groups.

We might have made a few tiny adjustments (extra HP for masters, or maybe an extra monster in a group) as the campaign went on to maintain balance but otherwise it all worked out just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.