Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to open a topic about CCG, LCG & board games.

I love the diverse selection of games that we play in our gaming group. I'm simply wondering how CCGs and LCGs fit into the bunch? I'm new to the board game hobby. When I was first introduced to board games, one of the first games I was exposed to was Android: Netrunner. I thought, "What a COOL game!". Had to get it all. Then I was introduced to other amazing games such as, Zombicide, Ticket to Ride, Runewars, Kemet, Munchkin, Small World, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Descent, .. and so many more. What a GREAT hobby! I'm hooked!

Then I started to notice that the hobby was split a bit. What I was enjoying the most was getting a game, learning the rules, sleeving the cards, organizing the bits, playing it, creating strategies, playing again, introducing the game to others, adding an expansion, playing again, etc... You can get to know MANY games in depth over time.

With CCG and LCG it was a bit different. To dive deep into just ONE Card Game is nearly a hobby all in itself. Like Magic the Gathering or Android: Netrunner. Players study every card ever released and how it would/could play into your deck. It requires immense time and dedication to the one game. Each booster pack or expansion deck that is released needs to be completely reviewed to see if there is anything that needs to be in your deck. And how those cards will interact with your existing cards. It's like reading an ongoing novel. I've heard players recite card abilities and stats from memory, like somebody quoting bible verses.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is a bit different where you start with a simple deck and through explorations and advancements you gain new cards in your deck. Only because you earned them through successful encounters, scenarios or adventures. This game excites me as other board games do. Not like a CCG or LCG. I will continue to purchase adventure decks that are released for PACG.

Just curious how many CCG or LCG games are part of gaming groups that play various games?
Are most gaming groups that play CCG or LCG dedicated to just that one game?
Or, Are CCG and LCG mixed into multiple games?
What are your thoughts on this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It requires immense time and dedication to the one game.

It doesn't require it, but players may benefit from that level of dedication. Same for pretty much any game where luck isn't the most significant factor. You can still play it casually and have fun, as long as your opponent is as casual as you or makes allowances for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My primary gaming groups (one weekly and one monthly) don't play CCGs or LCGs. We play just about every other kind of board game besides those and wargames. For LCGs and wargames, I have arranged times to play with a couple different individuals from my groups to play on separate nights. They just take more dedication to get as much out of the games. Even casual deckbuilding takes more dedication than a standard board game does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.