Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
November 2 and 3, Nashville/Franklin, TN. The 5th Annual Geek Media Expo was in full swing. CosPlayers wended their way down hallways jam packed with convention goers, and the party atmosphere was palpable. Tucked away near the back entrance of the site was the GMX Analog Game Room. It was here that I cracked open Triassic Terror and Francis Drake to the literal wonderment of everyone in the room. I was scheduled to run two two-hour gaming sessions/demos per day, but it turned out to be a two day gaming marathon in order to get in as many games as we could.

Triassic Terror drew crowds made up of young and old alike; the dinosaur and the dineeples (dinosaur meeples) turned heads and literally got conversations started. During those two days, I ran five sessions of Triassic Terror. What I planned was to do quick demos, playing one (maybe two) turns at the most, but it soon became apparent that everyone wanted to play full games once they got started and once they caught on to the mechanics.

The first session was played with a young man named DQ and two young ladies - Rachel and Deena. All three were highly competitive players, quickly grasping the mechanics and, within two rounds, going for each others' throats. I, as the fourth player, was pretty well ignored as the three let loose the fury of the Tyrannosaur and the Raptors. They loved scattering the herds...especially when all the habitats were full and the herds had to scatter to new areas (causing players to lose dinos to shock). Deena came out victorious, but it was a close-fought battle, with less than 10 points separating the three. (I don't count. I was in there as a patsy and to answer any questions they might have.)

Sunday, I played three more games, starting at 10:00a, a second at 1:00p and a third at 4:30p. The second was the most memorable as one of the admins for the game room joined in. She had played the game at a previous Con (a game that I also ran) and was bound a determined to play it again. This one was a three player game - Sarah, Bradley and myself. Even before Bradley had the first round totally under his belt, he was attacking...even though I suggested he take a round or two to build his herds. He used the Hatch selection not because it allowed his dinos to make some babies, but because it gave him the opportunity to send out the Pterodactyl and wreak havoc on Sarah and me. Kid gloves were off after that and it was push and pull between he and Sarah throughout the game. Once again, I was forgotten...the woebegone demonstrator left to his own devices and losing ways! In the end, Bradley won the game, followed by me (I'm still not sure how that actually happened) and then Sarah.

No one who witness the games and no one who played left the table without asking where and when they could purchase the game. Definitely a GMX hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.