Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy in the mail a little while ago, and looking through the rules for everything, I managed to come up with one question: Does Rosaline score if Romeo and/or Juliet are dead? The rules mention that Romeo and Juliet don't score if they're both dead, but they don't say anything about this.

Thematically, it would make sense for Rosaline to score if Juliet is dead and Romeo is still alive, however, I think that might upset the game balance between the Capulets and Montagues.

So I'd like to think that Rosaline's agenda can only be fulfilled if both characters are alive, but in separate places. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rosaline's agenda would indeed be met and influence tokens on her would score if either Romeo or Juliet is dead since they don't end up together. Rosaline is better and there is no end to her evil and sinister plans. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:
Rosaline's agenda would indeed be met and influence tokens on her would score if either Romeo or Juliet is dead since they don't end up together. Rosaline is better and there is no end to her evil and sinister plans. devil

What if they're both dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
unlpat wrote:

I think, thematically, that means they're together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pierce
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
Putts wrote:
unlpat wrote:

Actually, in the rules it spells out that both dead does NOT count for scoring as together...gotta be around to enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
lexpierce wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:
Putts wrote:
unlpat wrote:

Actually, in the rules it spells out that both dead does NOT count for scoring as together...gotta be around to enjoy it!

Correct. We thought about that when developing the expansion, but decided that "dead" doesn't count as a location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, what if they both end up in the box? (As part of the initial discard, and the last discard)

This happened last night and I ruled that they ended up together (as they ran away while their families were busy feuding.)

Edit: Grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
discordjack wrote:
Similarly, what if they both end up in the box? (As part of the initial discard, and the last discard)

This happened last night and I ruled that they ended up together (as they ran away while their family were busily feuding.)

Whoa! That means they weren't dealt out, were then passed up for each round of the drafting, and the last player got rid of both of them.

Technically, they are not considered "together," but even if they were, there is no place to put the Influence tokens because they would be face down.

That said, your logic is pretty sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
discordjack wrote:

This happened last night and I ruled that they ended up together (as they ran away while their family were busily feuding.)

Whoa! That means they weren't dealt out, were then passed up for each round of the drafting, and the last player got rid of both of them.

Technically, they are not considered "together," but even if they were, there is no place to put the Influence tokens because they would be face down.

Yeah, but for Rosaline it does matter (that tramp.) So she would score (speaking in game terms)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
discordjack wrote:
meskue wrote:
discordjack wrote:

Yeah, but for Rosaline it does matter (that tramp.) So she would score (speaking in game terms)?

Good point, I was focused on the love birds and forgot about the home wrecker. It isn't specifically mentioned and you could house-rule it like that if you want. However, the spirit of the game is that they are either on the Council together or in Exile together. Being dead (which was specifically mentioned) or being out of the game would be considered *not* together - and Rosaline would score. Her modifiers are in the negative because her objective is fairly easy to accomplish.

Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's what we thought. She's free and easy [points.] Thanks for clearing that up for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.