Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided to try out a visual style to quickly relay the important bits.

Download PDF

Resume v2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
The "Christian, Husband, Father, Geek, Gamer" thing sounds like something more suitable for a singles ad (save for the "Husband" part, I suppose), not a resume. I'd consider changing that to something more professional.

Maybe this is just me, but do you have another email address you can use for job-seeking activities? I'd be afraid that the one you have might put some people off. I think of a resume as a place to talk about your qualifications, not your God.

The visual style is pretty cool. I'd be interested in knowing later if it works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Verkisto about the personal information under your name and the email address.

Also, isn't it still the accepted style to list the most recent employment/experience first, and then go back in time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
The "Christian, Husband, Father, Geek, Gamer" thing sounds like something more suitable for a singles ad (save for the "Husband" part, I suppose), not a resume. I'd consider changing that to something more professional.

Maybe this is just me, but do you have another email address you can use for job-seeking activities? I'd be afraid that the one you have might put some people off. I think of a resume as a place to talk about your qualifications, not your God.

The visual style is pretty cool. I'd be interested in knowing later if it works!

I haven't look at it, because I'm on a work computer right now.. but unless applying for a position that will be helped by being Christian, I wouldn't use that, or an email address that gives any indication. Usually you're safest using something very neutral, that doesn't run the risk of you being discriminated against because of the personal views of the HR staff who first gets the resume (or any others, who may or may not see it after that).

Now, if you are applying for a job that's church related, definitely use it, because that's something they'll be looking for. Otherwise, you just open yourself up to the risk of being filed in the waste basket.

As to the rest, I'll have to try to remember to check it out at home. I'm always being asked to write resumes for people I work with/am related to, since I've taken classes specifically on resume writing and workplace communication. Luckily, I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what type of job you're looking for, and what the resume standards would be in that case, but this may be for naught. The last several times I've gone job hunting in IT, they didn't want my resume in any sort of personalized form. I had to enter all the information into their recruiting database, so they could query and sort the info. I think the resume you put together looks great, especially if you're going for any sort of informatics job. I just fear you may run into HR departments and processes that don't lend themselves to this sort of format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with much of what the other folks said. Cool visual style, drop anything that smacks of personal. Either drop the photo, or make it a professional headshot. It's probably best to leave out the religious references altogether. I don't know common your name is but a simple david.gregg@gmail.com is probably your best bet.

Another thing, at least in my field, you'd probably want to be tailoring your resume to suit whatever job you're applying for. It's not always a one size fits all situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! Good call on the personal/religious bits. As for the email, I've been looking around for a good one; might just go with david@s3rvant.com for now.

I've been doing a lot of back end web development these past few years, so that's the field I'm headed toward. I've had some success in the past using a visual resume like this, but it does require that HR doesn't force you to input your info directly into some form of their's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, dropped the personal stuff and registered dgreggwebdev@gmail thumbsup

Resume v2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
We now have your phone number! MWAHAHAHAHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
We now have your phone number! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Bring it on arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Berglowe
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing against yours but I would have a pro make it up for you targeted to what job you are seeking. That has always worked best for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Good call on the personal/religious bits. As for the email, I've been looking around for a good one; might just go with david@s3rvant.com for now.

I've been doing a lot of back end web development these past few years, so that's the field I'm headed toward. I've had some success in the past using a visual resume like this, but it does require that HR doesn't force you to input your info directly into some form of their's.

I think the visual style might work for some companies but not most, by far. It will completely fail with agencies & anything automated that's scanning your resume for keywords. You don't need screenshots of Nightfall. I've released multiple videogames but don't include screenshots of them.

It completely fails for me personally as someone involved with hiring software engineers - it requires /me/ to do the work of figuring out your skills/technologies/experience. "breakthroughs"?

I think you can rework the Nightfall experience even more into your favour too - stress the skills of system design in a card game, stress the project management skills you've needed to learn to see it through.

I think you still need some sort of formal job history on there & better details of what you did. The current resume doesn't /sell/ me why I should investigate you for a back-end web job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't said what type of job you are looking for. Are you going for big companies that use automated keyword scanners or smaller companies when a human may be the first entity the will see your resume? Are you going for a tech heavy/programming job (if so, it does not look professional enough nor contain enough technical information). Are you going for a web or graphic design position. If so, it's kind of cool and shows creativity.

I see no education history. Is a degree important for the type of work you want? If so, lack of any education information would probably get your resume overlooked.

Without knowing the target audience, it's hard to judge.

It's trite, but the job of a resume is not to get you a job, but to get you an interview. It has to show you have the skills and knowledge needed to make you a viable candidate for the target position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've gotten home and taken a look at it, I have to agree with the others. A chronological list of employment would be good. A summary of skills is a good thing, definitely, but the readability of this one isn't very high. Could also fluff out some of the verbiage as well. When you worked with people to do things, how many people did you work with? 'As part of (or head of) a 15 person team to design, market and produce this product', etc. Every item should be more than just a 'Did this', but a how it was done, what was involved. It shows more of a detail focus as well as some of the soft skills required for the job as well. People want to know not only if you can get the job done, but also whether or not you'll 'fit' within their organization. If sent through email, could also include links to things you've worked on, to show examples.

Also, while the resume can be a template that you can shift small things for different potential jobs, definitely do a tailor made cover letter for each place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read it, but as a manager that just had to recruit 3 people at short notice, I can tell you that if I can't open your document, you've fallen at the first hurdle. I don't have time to upload or convert your stuff. I've got extra hours to fill, and until I find someone, I'm doing those extra hours myself.

So, make it a PDF or a .doc and keep it as clean and simple to print as possible. Otherwise you're at the bottom of my pile. Along with all those .docx CVs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

So, make it a PDF or a .doc and keep it as clean and simple to print as possible. Otherwise you're at the bottom of my pile. Along with all those .docx CVs.

This! I prefer to get the resumes in PDF format. That way, the formatting is set how the applicant wants it to look. If I open it in .doc, or even worse .docx, I have no idea if the format is correct.

And I also agree with the clean and simple route. To many images and special formatting is just over the top in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note that I do have it in PDF and have a clean text version as well. I just posted v2 as an image as it was faster for me to do via mobile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Just a quick note that I do have it in PDF and have a clean text version as well. I just posted v2 as an image as it was faster for me to do via mobile

Ah ok. Could you also post that one for reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
Ah ok. Could you also post that one for reference?

The updated graphical style is here: version 2 PDF.

I still have to finish updating my text based copy, but here's my old version prior to listing accomplishments etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.