Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Amerigo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tower retaining ALL the cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that most are having the opposite problems with the tower releasing too many cubes, but my tower seems to keep the cubes and has been spitting out only one or two at a time. I've just started the fourth round, put my only cube (red) into the tower and nothing came out. Is this happening to others and if so, is the game over? Help!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
It seems that most are having the opposite problems with the tower releasing too many cubes, but my tower seems to keep the cubes and has been spitting out only one or two at a time. I've just started the fourth round, put my only cube (red) into the tower and nothing came out. Is this happening to others and if so, is the game over? Help!

Check to make sure your tiles (inside the tower) are aligned correctly. It seems the if both 'A' and 'B' are flipped, then the tower is over retentive. Just 'B' flipped seems to give a good balance. And neither flipped appears to be too leaky...in many cases.

Maybe also check that the ramp at the bottom is completely locked in. When I first pulled my tower out of the box, the ramp was up just enough that some of the cubes slipped underneath the tower instead of out into the tray.

Edit:
When the tower is manufactured with no sides flipped (as most of the towers are being shipped), the As and Bs should line up between the tower walls and the panels:
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! There was a problem with the tower and I was able to fix it thanks to you. Looking forward to actually getting to do some actions now!
Thank you!
Karen.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the unlikely event that no cubes come out of the tower, I assume NO action is possible that round. In other words... players cannot elect to spend gold to perform the colored action spot (since no cubes came out, there is nothing to add). Would this be correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
In the unlikely event that no cubes come out of the tower, I assume NO action is possible that round. In other words... players cannot elect to spend gold to perform the colored action spot (since no cubes came out, there is nothing to add). Would this be correct?


Yes, this is answered in the rules.

"Note: If a storage space is empty or no cubes fall out of the tower,
skip this phase, with players taking no actions."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

It would actually be kind of neat for this kind of anomaly to happen :-)
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I did receive it this weekend. How do you like it, Steve?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for it to be available for ordering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I compared the tower in Amerigo with that in Wallenstein and discovered that they are indeed constructed differently. The one in Wallenstein has it's lower net concave up, causing more cubes to be held back. This seems right - for Wallenstein at least. The fun is in the fact that everyone has cubes in the tower, and significant quantities can emerge at any time.

In Amerigo, both levels are convex up - and as a result only a few cubes stay in the tower. It is clear that both were constructed "correctly" based on the markings. However, I wonder whether it was intentional or just and incidental aspect of production. How did Stefan Feld playtest the game?

As an earlier posted noted, you can change this by flipping the lower net to make it concave up. But I'd really like to know the design intent.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too!

I second that. Hopefully Feld will chime in on this issue.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
I compared the tower in Amerigo with that in Wallenstein and discovered that they are indeed constructed differently. The one in Wallenstein has it's lower net concave up, causing more cubes to be held back. This seems right - for Wallenstein at least. The fun is in the fact that everyone has cubes in the tower, and significant quantities can emerge at any time.

In Amerigo, both levels are convex up - and as a result only a few cubes stay in the tower. It is clear that both were constructed "correctly" based on the markings. However, I wonder whether it was intentional or just and incidental aspect of production. How did Stefan Feld playtest the game?

As an earlier posted noted, you can change this by flipping the lower net to make it concave up. But I'd really like to know the design intent.


One clarification. Simply flipping the B tile doesn't really then match up to a Wallenstein tower, because the tiles are not symmetrical, and now the holes will not line up as intended. So, yes, flipping is an option, but not really a perfect match.

I too, would love to know anything official.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule in the book sure says that no actions get taken. There is only a problem with that if you forget a different rule, from page 5: After all players have performed their actions, move the cubes to the respective storage spaces.

You can imagine how missing the other rule might break the game a little
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if the tower is eating your cubes, make sure the. Bottom ramp is well attached. In our case, some cubes were just ending up under the tower
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Also, if the tower is eating your cubes, make sure the bottom ramp is well attached. In our case, some cubes were just ending up under the tower
That's what I found out was happening with mine. One quick look and problem solved!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.