• [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, Raythen is a trap-killer!

Don't most traps key off that sight attribute?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They even include hero sheets for player use as heroes outside the LoR campaign. That's pretty spiffy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Don't most traps key off that sight attribute?

-shnar

Indeed. Tripwire, Pit Trap, Grease Trap, Sign of Weakness, Uthuk Demon Trap, and to an extent, Poison Dart would all be essentially neutralized by having Raythen nearby. With 5 Awareness, he has a 92% chance of passing those tests.

Well, I suppose Uthuk Demon Trap wouldn't be neutralized, but it would change it from "immediately defeated" to "suffer 5 hearts."

Still, there are limitations on it (having to be on the same map tile and having to spend fatigue to do it), so it's not like he completely nullifies Trap cards, but he definitely makes them less useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I was more impressed with Serena. She starts off with the reverse of the knight's "Defend" ability and is the first hero we've seen with 6 Stamina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Six Stamina and three Speed is silly to me. Why would she ever perform a move action if she could instead fatigue-move twice as far and rest?

I also hadn't realized before seeing this card how much skin she has showing and how impossibly skinny her waist is. Not sure which religion she is a priestess for, but they obviously have their priorities straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Six Stamina and three Speed is silly to me. Why would she ever perform a move action if she could instead fatigue-move twice as far and rest?

Well, she might have a bunch of fatigue tokens and be unable to do that, for one. Seems like the point is to give her a lot of latitude for skill use OR rapid movement, but not both in the same turn. The brown die and low health makes her a target, so being able to move her next to tougher heroes is going to be important.

As for Raythen, I see him being the target of a lot of forced-move abilities to get him off a particular tile (ettins, Dark Charm, etc.). He has only middling Might and extremely low Willpower. He can also only grant one reroll per turn (but is this per OL turn or hero turn, or both?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off of the ruling for Mad Carthos (which has similar wording) I'd say his ability could be used once for each Heroes' turn as well as once on the OL's turn.

Quote:
Q: Mad Carthos' hero ability says once per turn, when using a skill that costs 1 fatigue it will cost zero fatigue instead. It doesn't say "per round", it doesn't specify whose turn it should be. Does that mean I could possibly use 1 fatigue skill on my turn, then on each of other 3 heroes' turns, and on overlord's turn, each time for free?

This also affects Sir Valadir and Astarra.

Can Sir Valadir use his ability on his turn, then on overlord's turn if Sir Valadir counterattacks? Can Astarra use her ability to "teleport" with move action granted by Syndrael's feat, on Syndrael's turn, then "teleport" again on Astarra's turn?

A: It does indeed say per turn and not per round. Each hero has a turn, and the overlord has a turn, so these abilities, by the rules currently written, are allowed to be used each turn. (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, "once per turn" has been ruled in the past to mean strictly that: Each hero has one turn and the overlord has one turn, so it is up to five times per round, if the ability can trigger on another turns. Most can't, so it's not an issue, but Carthos's fatigue-saving hero ability could trigger on his turn and on the overlord turn. By extension, Raythen's attribute reroll could trigger during all five turns, theoretically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that makes sense. But still, it only works to that degree if he gets an item or skill that increases his stamina, and only if his stamina is full. If he's using skills or making fatigue moves at all he's going to be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Did they explain how those big cards are going to end up in those little boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope there's no folding going on, and that those boxes are as big as the hero sheets...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think they'd very clearly fit behind the packaging inserts in the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

By making big boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the box shot dimensions look right for an unfolded hero sheet (they're what, 4" by 5" or so?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

By making big boxes.

If they are to scale in the promo shots aren't the boxes too small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Serena/Raythen are coming in the big boxes, like Mirklace here. I don't know the dimensions, but based on the size of the card backing that extends beyond the projected part of the box and the size of the punched-out bit for hanging on shelves, there looks to be more than enough room to slip in a hero sheet. The Plot cards seem the same size as OL cards — they presumably fit in the smaller boxes, and the large boxes look considerably taller and wider.

The Heroscape boosters managed to fit in unit cards without folding them, and these are a less awkward shape. I'm not worried about folding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Baughman
United States
Moses Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier."
mbmbmbmbmb

If the scale in this image is correct I believe that the sheets will fit without any bending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
My eyes are probably bung. I sure hope there is no folding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything they will just be at the very back of the box and be also behind the Descent logo. They know better then to bend the hero cards as the nerd rage would be over 9,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.