Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Exodus: Proxima Centauri» Forums » General

Subject: [Finally!] A Side by side comparison of Revised vs Original edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scroll down for
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's comparison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Side by side comparison of Revised vs Original edition

After reading the title of the thread I thought you'd be the one providing the pictures. Quite a misleading title shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:

After reading the title of the thread I thought you'd be the one providing the pictures. Quite a misleading title shake

Haha was thinking the same thing. Like the OP, though, I would like to see some comparisons as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, didn't mean to disappoint! Just a potential fan here looking for this info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hertzberger
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the revised edition in and have the original one at home. I may have enough time to put something together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to disappoint! Just a potential fan here looking for this info!

Well, you could always edit the tile and add an interrogation mark at the end whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B1gn4sty wrote:
I just got the revised edition in and have the original one at home. I may have enough time to put something together.

That would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Request: Side by side comparison of Revised vs Original edition
B1gn4sty wrote:

Pretty please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
nexbot wrote:

Well, you could always edit the tile and add an interrogation mark at the end whistle

Better now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Victor Mancha wrote:
nexbot wrote:

Better now?

Much better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the upgrade kit, spent some time putting it all together in a meaningful way. I'm not sure what to do with the original pieces, spent far too many hours cutting every piece out with a knife. The second edition is beautiful, much thicker cardboard all around, No warp, better finish. Design is fantastic, wish that the first edition was this nice (sorry guys).

I say this as I also ran through last night aligning all tech / politics / CR cards from 1st to 2nd edition, to see what was and was not upgraded, what changed.

Will see if I can do up a summary later this weekend of at least those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hertzberger
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
I've got the upgrade kit, spent some time putting it all together in a meaningful way. I'm not sure what to do with the original pieces, spent far too many hours cutting every piece out with a knife. The second edition is beautiful, much thicker cardboard all around, No warp, better finish. Design is fantastic, wish that the first edition was this nice (sorry guys).

I say this as I also ran through last night aligning all tech / politics / CR cards from 1st to 2nd edition, to see what was and was not upgraded, what changed.

Will see if I can do up a summary later this weekend of at least those cards.

Agreed, the revised edition is really nice. In particular, the player board is leaps above the first edition. I also found everything punched out easily and made of much sturdier quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klatschi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to provide you with side-by-side-pictures, but I threw away all my 1st edition components I don't need anymore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here goes. Apologies for any shadows, took using my cell and flash was getting reflection (so turned off). But you can get the ideas.

Engine, Shields, Rockets.

Player boards now display Engine 1 - you can't have 0 engines, so a minimum of 1 is guaranteed. New engines are placed on top - One side has Engine 2, second side of token has Engine 3.
Shields are double sided - 1/2, or 1/3 shields.
Rockets are a little harder to see - Blue (Resources), Green (Population), Red (Planet). Sadly, I realized after that I lined the photos up wrong.

Centaurian Resistance, Weapons.

New CR are not as wide by 2-3mm, not as tall by 1-2mm.
New weapons are wisely double-sided: 1/2, or 3/5.

Height of 6 tiles:

Please note that I had to hold down the stack of old tiles to stop the bowing from distorting the image.

Sample Planet

Planet tiles are another 1-2mm smaller. Easier to see the type (Icon - Blue/Red/green), the max count (die on tile), and VP awarded.

2nd Ship, Vote Tokens

2nd Ship markers are nice.
Vote tokens are good quality - won't show scuffs or marks well.
The numerical tokens are well thought out - as each player tracks CP with a track on their player board, this is now needed (combinations up to 39CP, or ALL if you somehow have more than that)

What I find very odd is that each player no longer has a stack of 0-6 markers (for movement). This means everyone's pulling from a communal pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! It looks like some of the new tokens are a bit off center. Does this ever detract from gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards no longer used are as follows. If anything here, or in my above post is in violation of any copyright/IP information, let me know and I'll correct as necessary.

Centaurian Resistance. Format: Attack/Defense/VP/Bonus (instead of VP)
Level 1:
1/1/1/Take 1 Red
1/1/1/Take 1 Green
1/1/1/Take 1 Level1 Shield
2/1/1/Add 1 Pop Cube on Home Planet
Level 2:
4/2/1.5/Learn Level 2 Laser
2/2/1.5/Take 1 Level2 Shield
2/2/1.5/Add 2 Pop Cubes on Home Planet
Level 3:
5/3/2/Receive 2 Biochemical Rockets
6/3/2/Learn Level 3 Shield
6/3/2/Learn Master Politics

Politics:
18 Political Cards are no longer used. Summarized as follows:
Super Tax - Double tax
Ship Ban, Bankruptcy - Build Ship/Banking actions/reactions nullified
White/Brown/Purple/Grey Tech Law - Cost to purchase tech reduced
Secret Mineral Deposits, Hollowed Ground, Banking Law, Inflation - Effects die roll from Banking/Mining
Resistance - Cannot stop/pass through CR hexes
Protect the Civilians - Everyone receives Civ Ship Tech
Abolish Law - Chancelor removes 1 Law
Council Aid - Everyone receives 1 Resource/5CP from the bank
Demilitarization Law - Cost of upgrade reactions increased
Free Market - All can use Trade Action/Reactions as if they played them
Progress - Each player gets 1 Pop Cube added to their home planet

Abilities:
All abilities cards are no longer used. They're part of the Generals expansion, and I suspect they'll be coming back in the expansion (Oct 2014, hopefully!)

Bonus Actions: Supplies
I received this with my game. Great card. "Receive one upgrade for free, if you have researched the required technology". Possibly overpowered. Would be nice to have included this, but I suspect it's not included for a reason.

I'm not sure why some of these were taken out (CR ships and some of the politics), however, I'm sure there are reasons (too weak / strong / unnecessary / thinning the deck of unwanted / bad cards)

Edit:
Please note that I have the Generals Expansion, and some of the cards listed / compared here (CR / Abilities) were a part of that expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Thanks for this! It looks like some of the new tokens are a bit off center. Does this ever detract from gameplay?

It honestly shouldn't. The shields were a little off, as were the vote tokens. Shields go on player board, are referenced but not constantly used. Vote Numerical tokens are unsightly, but it absolutely should not effect anyone's play - only used in voting situations, not constant / on the board.

Movement tokens in a communal pool are a little annoying, but I think it's a good solution compared to any player running out of a certain number.

Everybody gets 3 baggies: Cubes (Pop / Dice), Ships, and Cardboard. Everything else in a Plano box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks buddy!

Have you gotten a chance to play it yet? If I watch a 1st Ed. play through, will it be substantially different from the 2nd Ed.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance as of yet... but I'm eager to do so. Won't be for another 2-3 weeks sadly...

Honestly, it shouldn't alter the game that much, it's more a streamlining / visual difference.

Dice instead of tiny cylinders - will be a big difference. Could recreate this effect with your own dice.

Trackers instead of physical icons - you could stick with the cylinders at this point. Honestly, if you cut out the player board areas (BLASPHEMY!!!) to prevent them from rolling around, it would help that side of things.

Second ship markers, damage markers, ship boards - this will alter the space required, and isn't as neat as second edition, but it won't drastically alter anything. Work something out, should be easy enough - I was going to colour the cabins black on the ships as 2nd ship markers, with the ship-boards having a line through to denote 1st vs 2nd ship. Do that, and you don't even need to use the second ship marker in the 2nd edition.

Rules - you can apply 2nd edition rules to 1st edition. Banking, Mining, Trading will have a substantial impact. The Market has changed a fair bit - it's now the same as what the 6p market was, but you only use the left [player count] spaces. Old 2P Market for the 2nd player (White Buy/Red Buy/White Sell/Red Sell): 5/4/3/4. New 2P Market: 4/3/5/6. That's a considerable difference, but easy to apply to 1st edition game.

Cards - Keep using the 1st edition cards. Points were essentially doubled in the 2nd edition, very few modifications, so that part is easy enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Rules - you can apply 2nd edition rules to 1st edition. Banking, Mining, Trading will have a substantial impact. The Market has changed a fair bit - it's now the same as what the 6p market was, but you only use the left [player count] spaces. Old 2P Market for the 2nd player (White Buy/Red Buy/White Sell/Red Sell): 5/4/3/4. New 2P Market: 4/3/5/6. That's a considerable difference, but easy to apply to 1st edition game.

There are a couple of other subtle rules changes, including the ability to unload population on planets that don't have moons without rolling (with the planet graphics and the VPs for controlling the planets having been adjusted to reflect this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:

There are a couple of other subtle rules changes, including the ability to unload population on planets that don't have moons without rolling (with the planet graphics and the VPs for controlling the planets having been adjusted to reflect this).

Now here's a quick Q for you: Almost all A&P planets (previously Red/Green Asteroids) have moons. A few have rings (Similar to Saturn). Free deploy, or roll for deploy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
squash wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:

Now here's a quick Q for you: Almost all A&P planets (previously Red/Green Asteroids) have moons. A few have rings (Similar to Saturn). Free deploy, or roll for deploy?

The rules specify that any tile depicting more than one planet ("any Planet not 'alone' in its hex") requires a roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Abilities:
All abilities cards are no longer used. They're part of the Generals expansion, and I suspect they'll be coming back in the expansion (Oct 2014, hopefully!)

I've ordered these 2 items through the BGG Store:

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/exodus-proxmia-centau...

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/exodus-proxmia-centau...

Although based on this...

FreezenFire wrote:
Bonus Actions: Supplies
I received this with my game. Great card. "Receive one upgrade for free, if you have researched the required technology".

...I probably should have checked my game first to see if I already have the Supplies card!

EDIT: I checked and didn't see a "Supplies" bonus action card in my 2nd edition, so it's just as well that I ordered it through the BGG Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just received my upgrade kit. The other subtle, but significant change, is the changes to the ship blueprint w.r.t. engine upgrades. In the 1st edition the War Cruiser, for example, could have 2 Engine-1 to move two systems. The 2nd edition no longer allows that. To move two systems, Engine-2 tech is required.

I'm not sure I like this, but I plan to play a few games to see how that works. I suspect the change occurred for game balance (but still disappointing to see options disappear). Does anyone else have some game experiences to share for this particular engine tech change???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeknoMerk wrote:
I also just received my upgrade kit. The other subtle, but significant change, is the changes to the ship blueprint w.r.t. engine upgrades. In the 1st edition the War Cruiser, for example, could have 2 Engine-1 to move two systems. The 2nd edition no longer allows that. To move two systems, Engine-2 tech is required.

I'm not sure I like this, but I plan to play a few games to see how that works. I suspect the change occurred for game balance (but still disappointing to see options disappear). Does anyone else have some game experiences to share for this particular engine tech change???

In the first edition manual, under Actions - Buy Upgrades, last bullet, there is the line: "There can only be 1 drive per ship!"

The change in the 2nd edition is that all ships are now capable of handling the 3rd level engine, whereas it was limited to two ship designs in the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.