Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
What am I missing about this game? Read some glowing reviews, bought the game and... meh..

Game seems to be just a form of Pac Man. Keep a big stack of French troops together, move around the map and vacuum up the enemy stacks as they randomly scatter.

Battles are ...ok... but the low activation number on the enemy troops usually means they sit there slack jawed as the French Cav runs them down. The only 'fun' I seem to have is when the die rolls are really really bad for me and I have to try and fill gaps in the lines... but even then.. meh...

What am I missing? What makes this game so great for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

you ask "What you are missing?"

Perhaps a lot, but how to know that?

Suggestion: Take the 1805 Austerlitz campaign and just describe what your first move would be.

Maybe a lot of things might become clearer then.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many campaigns have you played? The first campaign is pretty basic. The second one is brutal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios are quite difficult to win. Time is really tight and losing a single battle may mean losing the scenario. Also battles themselves are not easy to win and supply is always short.

Maybe you can describe how are you playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling you're getting some rules wrong.

There's no way you can win this game by having a huge French death star stack vacuuming stuff. You definitely have to split your forces, even in the first scenario, and how you do that is one of the big decisions you have make properly to have any chance at winning.

Enemy units just sitting there due to their low activation number also sounds wrong. In any decent sized fight, most of the enemy units will get automatic actions and if they're in the correct formation (column if moving, line if firing) they don't have to roll their activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludobits
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I also suspect that the OP might have played at first with some rules wrong (I have found that it is a very easy thing to do), or have formed his judgment after a few plays of the 1796 campaign. A little more details could be helpful.

I couldn’t help laughing at the Pac Man analogy, though. In part because I have played through at least one “Pac Man” style campaign (1800), where I was admittedly very lucky with the dice, and have basically kept a large pile of French troops “vacuuming” scattered enemy forces off the map, mostly without fighting -- by mere envelopment. Surprisingly boring, especially after the cut-throat, unforgiving, quite enjoyable and very satisfying 1798 campaign. And I agree that 1805 can hardly be played right and give a Pac Man feel.

On a high-level view, that a cardboard AI could so consistently yield such tense moments, unpredictable outcomes and exciting endings, has to be an achievement in itself. I guess in such an abstract solitaire system, from time to time a game will turn up being below expectations. How often, that remains to be seen in my case (I have played under 20 games so far).

I think that one must be willing to accept the predominant role of randomness in that game; in fact, I find that it is a large part of the source of its brilliance: the manner in which raw randomness is finely calibrated, modulated and distributed through the mechanics, in such ways as to almost completely hide itself, thus giving the human player meaningful decisions to make and the feel of facing a human opponent.

That would be the main reason why this game is to me a fine piece of design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I've been a big fan of DVG, especially the Leader Series. I've stayed away from all the Field Commander games even this one with all the support it gets, because I've not been terribly interested in the settings (though I have pre-ordered Fleet Commander: Nimitz because of my strong interest in the setting). However, I keep hearing comments like those above me and I can't help but feel an urge to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played TAL from the Leader series and there is no question that it is the noticeably deeper, better, and more satisfying game. However, for a game that is much less fiddly, much less brain-burny, and plays in a much more reasonable time frame, FC:N should not be as good as it is. DVG should be proud of their output.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get a chance I will set this game up again and keep a log of the action. Maybe there is something I'm missing....

Just got RAF in the mail, so my limited free time is spoken for for a while, but FC: Nappy will be next on my list.

Thanks for all the responses and defense of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Just got RAF in the mail, so my limited free time is spoken for for a while, but FC: Nappy will be next on my list.

I just got RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 in the mail too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.