Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I get this game? It seems so coo,l but to wait for it for almost 9 months feels weird...

I am intrigued by the thought of all the stuff the Outlaw level is offering whistle

Could anyone give me some pro's and cons of getting this game? I am a Descent fan and I don't mind fully co-operative games either... miniatures wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My simple take..

1.) It's way too expensive for me. I could buy five $30 well established games or three $50 games for what it would take to pledge where I want to with Brimstone.

2.) I'm kind of getting tired of the whole Cthulhu tentacles thing.

3.) Lately, I'm finding myself not pledging for KS games that are too far away in the estimated ship date category. While it may be morbid, I don't even know if I will be alive 8 - 10 months from now. I would rather spend money on games I can enjoy NOW and if I'm still alive and/or interested in tentacles next year....I will buy it then, regardless of missing out on KS extras. This is why the One Night Ultimate Werewolf Kickstarter was an instant no-brainer pledge for me. I will receive the game later this month or early December.

My advice to all Kickstarter organizers is to do everything they can to cut down on the long lead time it takes to produce their projects. I understand the logistics side, but this is a major factor in not pledging....at least on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarne Jorgensen
Denmark
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think its only the Outlaw hero class that is a kickstarter exclusive anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ware
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I've gone in big on other similar KS projects with lots of extras....extras that I eventually did not need or use...felt good at the time as it removed any buyer's remorse...but that was about it...and I refuse to donate fees to evil-bay by selling the extras on there.

This game is already funded...so I am content to wait and see how it looks after it is published....read the reviews...watch the unboxings...then make the purchase for the base game as well as the add-on (i.e. expansions)

I have no concern waiting longer to get the game after all the pledgers, as I've got plenty to keep me entertained until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought three $65 games that were co-op 'dungeon crawls'. They were:
- Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
- Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
- Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Considering the similarities here (co-op, modular board, dungeon crawl), paying $75 for the two games seems like a fair price. And considering all the tons of extras at Outlaw level, seems like a really good price.

Is it worth the risk, since the game isn't even 100% complete (reason why we have no rulebook)? I think so, considering it's A) Flying Frog who is doing it (a well established game company whose games I tend to like) and B) it's already raised almost $700,000. If it had only been about $50k, I'd think it was risky, but at $700k, this will definitely be made. So prepay now for a game next year and get it cheaper than MSRP (though not cheaper than from say an online discounter), and get a bunch of extras to boot.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@shnar

You made some fair points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes just do it!

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools

I was really tempted and I love AToE but this is how I'm standing atm >

sabbat00 wrote:

2.) I'm kind of getting tired of the whole Cthulhu tentacles thing.

And I generally love that kind of thing
I wish it great luck though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At the very least - and assuming the unlocked Town map is fairly cool, you could always use the components for this game to buff out your favorite cowboy games; Cowboys: The Way of the Gun, Outlaws: Adventures in the Old West, Wild West Cinema, Boot Hill, etc.

Or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your main con will be the international headaches: increased shipping, VAT and other customs fees, arbitrary customs headaches, last shipped (most KS ship domestic first), no shipment tracking (?), etc. You need to SERIOUSLY research how the KS will ship internationally. IIRC, FFP is *not* using a foreign distributor. If you haven't been an international backer in a KS, do your research so you can prepare for a long wait and high fees. International shipping and customs costs can DRASTICALLY increase the cost of the game. Paying 2x for the game is not unheard of. Personally, I only back domestic KS in the US.

Boardgame: Think of it at $150 (US domestic) for *two* base games, and enough stuff for an expansion. That's a pretty good price for a boardgame you want to play. But FFP has not posted the rules or a gameplay video.

Miniatures: Many KS (MYTH, Zombicide 2) give more miniatures, at 150 mini's for $100. Ideally, you want to see actual sculpts, and FFP has only shown one.

Theme: While Cthuhlu and western are occasional miniatures game themes, I've only seen one full-blown Cthulhu boardgame (Cthulhu Wars). I'm not sure if a Cthulu *and* western boardgame will appear anytime soon. That being said, if you're looking for a western horror roleplaying game that has skirmish rules, look up Deadlands by Pinnacle Entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
I think your main con will be the international headaches: increased shipping, VAT and other customs fees, arbitrary customs headaches, last shipped (most KS ship domestic first), no shipment tracking (?), etc. You need to SERIOUSLY research how the KS will ship internationally. IIRC, FFP is *not* using a foreign distributor. If you haven't been an international backer in a KS, do your research so you can prepare for a long wait and high fees. International shipping and customs costs can DRASTICALLY increase the cost of the game. Paying 2x for the game is not unheard of. Personally, I only back domestic KS in the US.

Boardgame: Think of it at $150 (US domestic) for *two* base games, and enough stuff for an expansion. That's a pretty good price for a boardgame you want to play. But FFP has not posted the rules or a gameplay video.

Miniatures: Many KS (MYTH, Zombicide 2) give more miniatures, at 150 mini's for $100. Ideally, you want to see actual sculpts, and FFP has only shown one.

Theme: While Cthuhlu and western are occasional miniatures game themes, I've only seen one full-blown Cthulhu boardgame (Cthulhu Wars). I'm not sure if a Cthulu *and* western boardgame will appear anytime soon. That being said, if you're looking for a western horror roleplaying game that has skirmish rules, look up Deadlands by Pinnacle Entertainment.

Nothing is definitif with the shipping so this will change.

Pro: no dm, theme is fresh with old western, solo, drop in drop out ( imo), cool mini's, random events, injures that can go permanent, nun with a shotgun, character advancement, lot of expansions, town has gameplay and not just draw random shop cards, you get turned into a werewolve ( sorry for spoiler ), setup will be faster than most dungeon crawlers, exploration, etcetc.

Con: pricey, leap of faith, crying in the comments, not a lot of conversation with ffp, rules not 100% defined yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Banemus wrote:

Pro's:.... nun with a shotgun....

Excellent/hilarious. I've changed my mind I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rob nawa wrote:
Banemus wrote:

Pro's:.... nun with a shotgun....

Excellent/hilarious. I've changed my mind I'm in

Beats the hell out of a ruler....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago S
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretch goals are for kickstarter basic games or they are included in all games including the MSRP version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
geosan wrote:
Stretch goals are for kickstarter basic games or they are included in all games including the MSRP version?

I asked this question and they told me the contents of the core box sets are fixed, all stretch goals will be available later in some fashion, but not as part of the base sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.