Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good one that just came up in a game:

Burning through Border Space, a "Scrapper Ambush" Nav Card forces a captain to suddenly discard his only ship upgrade, which is "Expanded Crew Quarters" that allows three extra crew. The problem is that he is carrying that extra crew! What happens to them?

At first I was ready to allow him to flip over three crew cards and not use them, losing them at the first planet he reached (and return them to their discard Supply Planet Decks). However, upon reading the card, we conceptualized that part of the ship was actually ripped off the hull, and explosive decompression would probably cause casualties. So we ruled that the extra crew (Captain's choice) was immediately killed (and discarded out of the game)!

Its a tough 'Verse out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frister
msg tools
I would say as a state of effect when the crew quarters is no longer a viable bonus, you discard the extra crew back into the decks. It doesn't state that you have to kill any extra crew on the card itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. My group has not encountered this problem, mostly because we keep our crew sizes relatively small (5 or less).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For any situation not covered in the rules the correct procedure is to cancel the game.

The players are allowed to petition to continue the game or reboot it entirely, however such petitions will be ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:
For any situation not covered in the rules the correct procedure is to cancel the game.

LOL.

I agree this is a good question for FAQage, I don't think the rules really address it. I like the explosive decompression idea, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this scenario:

The Scrappers rip off your Expanded Crew Quarters but since no crew were in quarters at the time of the attack, you suffer no casualties. However, you are now stuck with three extra crew that want a place to live! You don't have the space available anymore and you must fire them (return them to their respective discard piles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I wouldn't kill/discard the crew, since that's a very specific circumstance.

Remember that, by default, your ship can hold a crew of 6, plus up to 12 passengers (or fugitives).

Now, my personal assumption is that the crew have "regular" rooms (like Mal, Kaylee, Jayne, etc) while the passengers/fugitives are either in the little "cubicle" rooms (like Book and the Tams) or they're bunking down in the cargo hold.

With that in mind, my further assumption is that the crew members want "real" rooms in order to stay onboard for any prolonged period of time. So, in a case like this one, my assumption is that the three extra crew would be removed from the crew (and therefore returned to their appropriate discard piles rather than being removed from the game).

TECHNICALLY, I suppose if I were going to play it out, I would immediately remove the cards from the player's crew, temporarily convert those former crew members to passengers, then drop them off at the next planet and then return the cards to the decks. Since all this would basically play out automatically, why not let it happen immediately to get it resolved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least crew without quarters should become Disgruntled. If already so, they take a shuttle and leave immediately. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My vote is on discard the crew. No reason to kill them; they just leave. Hanging onto them (even if disgruntling them) seems too lenient. It could also lead to some weird cheesing effects, where a player 'loses' the upgrade to free up a slot, goes on shore leave to happy up the 3 extra crew, and then installs a new upgrade in the slot for the low cost of 900 dollars for what amounts to a free 4th upgrade slot.

Ask yourself this; what would you do to the crew if the player got rid of it for any other reason? I'd say he has to discard the crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ganis
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd recommend that the ship owner must lose the crew at the next planet they could buy something. This would happen after their next buy action. This gives the ship owner a chance to repurchase the upgrade to maintain his crew. During a fight they wouldn't be in their bunks anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeG wrote:
If it were me, I'd recommend that the ship owner must lose the crew at the next planet they could buy something. This would happen after their next buy action. This gives the ship owner a chance to repurchase the upgrade to maintain his crew. During a fight they wouldn't be in their bunks anyway.

It makes more sense for crew to leave when the ship in in port somewhere -- otherwise how do they leave. I have been thinking this over for crew that are disgruntled twice (doubly disgruntled). The game rules seem to say that the crew member leaves immediately, yet, if flying, how would they go?

So, the questions for me, in both of these instances is not whether the crew leaves (which they do), but when they leave and if they are capable/willing to act as crew in any way before the ship docks/lands somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.