Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back everyone!

This week I asked regular contributors entwife and the_programmer as well as their junior sidekicks Hugh and Erin to come up with a challenge!

Any errors are mine, and please continue to direct concerns or complaints at me; however, any praise and thanks for this week please send to the gentleman Lady! blush below!

Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks as always everyone!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Sinister has enlisted the aid of the MLF to help him and his Marauders to capture guinea pigs for his experiments, and of course our Heroes have to try to save the day, defeat Mr. Sinister, and keep his goons from carrying off too many Bystanders! No sweat, it's all in a day's work.

To check out how to post below, either follow someone else's lead, or check out previous challenges HERE!!!

Scheme: All in a Day's Work

Setup: 1)Use all 8 Scheme Twists. 2)Include 12 Bystanders total in the Villain deck regardless of the number of players.

Special Rules: 1) Each Villain in the city has +1 Attack for each Bystander it has. This is in addition to any other bonuses (e.g. for Scalphunter each Bystander adds +2 and for Chimera each Bystander adds +4!) 2) Bystanders in players' victory piles are worth 2 points instead of 1 when calculating VPs at the end of the game.

Twist: All villains in the city capture an additional bystander. Play Another Villain Card from the Villain Deck.

Evil Wins: When 6 Bystanders are carried away by escaping Villains or when the Bystander pile has no cards remaining in it.

Special Rules: Mr. Sinister is Maniacal and has +1 Attack.

1-Player
Scheme: All in a Day's Work.
Mastermind: Mr. Sinister.
Henchmen: Maggia Goons.
Villain(s): MLF. (For a harder challenge use the Marauders instead)
Heroes: Elektra, Gambit, Ice Man
Special Rules: Advanced Solo Mode; (see above).

2-Player
Scheme: All in a Day's Work.
Mastermind: Mr. Sinister.
Henchmen: Maggia Goons.
Villain(s): Marauders, MLF.
Heroes: Elektra, Gambit, Ice Man, Cyclops, Wolverine (X-Force)
Special Rules: See above.

3-5 Player setups list what to add to the 2-Player setup:

3-Player
Add Villain: Hydra.

4-Player
Add Villain: Hydra.
Add Henchman: Savage Land Mutates.

5-Player
Add Villain: Hydra, Emissaries of Evil.
Add Henchman: Savage Land Mutates.
Add Hero: Daredevil.

And just to make sure you are duly concerned for the safety of the Bystanders, would you trust them with that face?

Enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1-Player Games

eypyeash
Game 1: Good won! - 64 Points.

Locclo
Game 1: Good won! - 87 Points.
Game 2: Good won! - 81 Points.

Osyrn
Game 1: Evil won.
Game 2: Evil won.

broggi
Game 1: Mastermind escaped.
Game 2: Good won! - 56 Points.

psyberduck
Game 1: Good won! - 63 Points.

BlueDagger
Game 1: Good won! - 42 Points.

Selurevad
Game1: Good won! - 56 Points.

D Bo
Game 1: Evil won. Marauders.

2-Player Games

entwife
Game 3: Good won! Player 1 - 40; Player 2 - 42.

Osyrn
Game 1: Good won! Player 1 - 49; Player 2 - 20.

Bartjes
Game 1: Good won! Player 1 - 54; Player 2 - 18.

4-Player Games

entwife
Game 1: Mastermind Escaped.

Bakkster
Game 1: Good won!
Game 2: Good won!
Game 3: Good won!

5-Player Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes win! Advanced solo mode (64 points) - Marauders, five Mastermind confrontations.

Chimera was absolute nonsense here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Heroes win! Advanced solo mode (64 points) - Marauders, five Mastermind confrontations.

Chimera was absolute nonsense here.

Lol yes she is, but she makes you focus on keeping the city clear to keep her from escaping! Thanks for trying it out!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite this being our scheme we're not very good at it.

4 player game (Myself, Anthony, Hugh and Erin)

Mastermind undefeated!

We ran out of villains, with only 1 hit on the mastermind.

Our decks just took too long to come together (heroes at the start were mainly high cost), and then we were overwhelmed by the serious villains.

2 Player games (myself and Anthony)

1)Evil won!

This one wasn't even close; we lost more than 6 bystanders with barely a scratch on Mr Sinister

1)Evil won!

This was a close one. Three hits on the mastermind, but sadly the third hit required three bystanders to be added to Mr Sinister, which finished off the bystander deckcry

1)Good won!

At last, victory! My deck came together beautifully, and by the very end of the game I was drawing my whole deck on each turn, giving me 24 attack. Never the less, the win went to Anthony.

Kim: 40 points, with 2 hits on Mr Sinister, and rescuing 4 bystanders.
Anthony: 42 points, with 2 hits on Mr Sinister and rescuing 9 bystanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your family's hard work on this one, glad you got a victory in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekly Challenge #18 turned out to be quite popular with my group. We played five games today, three with four players and two more with five players. The first four-player game showed us what we were going to be up against. Five Bystanders escaped early, with six being the number that would cause us to lose. Blockbuster was sitting in the city with enough Bystanders on him to reach an astonishing 28 Strength. There were also two Vertigos and an Endless Hydra on the board when we finally put the last whack on Mr. Sinister -- and his Tactic would have drawn out the Bystander deck and caused us to lose if we hadn't defeated him first. I got the individual win by a slim 27-26 margin by winning the Final Showdown to claim the Mastermind card. The second and third four-player games saw us refine our approach and produced progressively easier wins. Elektra and Ice Man, respectively, were the major Fight forces in those games. When we added the fifth player for our last two games, we went down to brutal defeats both times. The bad stuff just happened faster than we could handle with an extra player in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Despite this being our scheme we're not very good at it.

It was a very enjoyable scenario that threw lots of problems our way. I hope that my upcoming sequel to World War Hulk (WC #15) will be at least as good as this one was.

Well done! Thumbed and tipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blockbuster getting insanely huge with Bystanders. Each red chip is +1 Strength. He got to 28 total Strength by game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakkster wrote:

Blockbuster getting insanely huge with Bystanders. Each red chip is +1 Strength. He got to 28 total Strength by game end.

I love the idea of representing extra strength with chips - much easier to tell at a glance!

In one of our games we had a Chimera with an attack of over 40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Bakkster wrote:

I love the idea of representing extra strength with chips - much easier to tell at a glance!

In one of our games we had a Chimera with an attack of over 40

Fortunately, we were always able to stomp Chimera before that ever happened to us... :-) We use red chips for marking extra Strength and gold chips for marking extra Recruit points. It does make things much easier to keep track of with all the available "whenever" bonuses, focuses, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hendrickson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1: Good wins! 87 points

Had some initial troubles with this one! I basically got a long string of bystanders that just kept stacking on Sinister, and I was worried that he would get too big to fight. Once I got past that initial hurdle of Sinister's growing strength, I basically just played out the deck to see how far I could go - as it turns out, since the last card was a Twist, I basically got most of the bystanders and all of the villains.

Oh, and I used MLF for this one. Decided to go with Marauders for the second once I figured out what sort of deck I should build.

Game 2: Good wins! 81 points

Kinda had the same idea here, except that I pretty much ignored Elektra. She's great on her own, but far too often, her cards just get in the way of the Gambit-Iceman goodness. I did go for Ninjitsu when I could (they're invisible in the deck anyway, and once I started getting Stack the Deck they gave me recruit) and I picked up her rare, but that's it.

As with the first game, once I beat the initial Sinister hurdle, I just played the deck all the way to the end. I think on my final turn I actually managed to play my entire deck of 38 cards (Iceman+Gambit+all three Frost Spike Armors) and wound up with 94 attack, easily enough to trounce the last of the Marauders and Sinister's final card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-Player Games:
Game 1: Good Wins! P1=49 P2=20
Game 2: Evil Wins; Bystander pile ran out

Solo Games (Played with MLF):
Game 1: Evil Wins; Bystander pile ran out
Game 2: Evil Wins; Bystander pile ran out

The scheme mentions every villain in the city got +1 for each bystander on them, I assumed that applied to Mr. Sinister as well? It looks like others on here assumed that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osyrn wrote:

The scheme mentions every villain in the city got +1 for each bystander on them, I assumed that applied to Mr. Sinister as well? It looks like others on here assumed that as well.

I think in normal Legendary they make a point of saying Masterminds are not villains, so this applies here as well.

Mr Sinister gets +1 per bystander according to his card, so we decided adding another +1 per bystander would be too strong. So all this scenario adds is +1 to his base strength.

So without any bystanders he's a 9, with 1 bystander he's a 10, with 2 bystanders he's an 11 etc.

I'm very impressed at your first win, playing with that extra difficulty!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:

Mr Sinister gets +1 per bystander according to his card, so we decided adding another +1 per bystander would be too strong. So all this scenario adds is +1 to his base strength.

So without any bystanders he's a 9, with 1 bystander he's a 10, with 2 bystanders he's an 11 etc.

I'm very impressed at your first win, playing with that extra difficulty!!

Ahhh, I missed that +1 per bystander on his card, so we were just playing it like you mentioned above, with maniacal he's a 9, and +1 with each bystander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo with Marauders
Game 1 Mastermind escaped
Game 2 Good won, 56 points
In the second game, I won on the last turn of the game with 31 attack, yet I couldn't defeat Chimera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mullins

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Working my way back through these.

Solo- Good wins! 63 points!!!
These guys were excellent at piling up a lot of damage quickly. The 19 bystanders I rescued at double points didn't hurt either, and compensated for my 4 scheme twists nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1 Good Wins P1 42 points

Only one Chimera card I did not capture, because she had captured 16 bystanders making her 52 attack! lol.

breakdown (MM:24 V:20 By:22 ST:-24) 42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one was too easy... But thanks for the hard work on this!

2 player game:
Good won! Player 1: 54 points. Player 2: 18 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
This one was too easy... But thanks for the hard work on this!

2 player game:
Good won! Player 1: 54 points. Player 2: 18 points

Several of the challenges are designed for fun interactions instead of being difficult. Fun is still number one for these "challenges," and I'll stop posting difficult ones before I stop posting those that are just fun to watch unfold. Even if that means people will score into the hundreds every time

Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Solo with the Marauders

Game 1: Good won! - 56 Points.

I thought it was a decent score until I saw other solo scores. Oh well. Fun game! No one escaped. Vertigo flopped first and she got 9 bystanders on her before I could touch her. About any other Marauder on that first flop and the heroes might of been toast. Also got a lucky draw with 3 twists in a row with no villians in play.

Thanks Jacovis, entwife, and the_programmer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Game

Evil Won
Marauders

This was brutal - I literally got nowhere. Schemes came out so quickly and I apparently didn't shuffle very well because I had only Gambit cards coming out in the beginning and was basically drawing my entire deck, but it had absolutely no attack - ha! I'll need to come back and try this again at some point. I only fought Mr. Sinister once, and his attack was up to 15 by that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo with Marauders.
Good won! 47 VPs + (2 * 19 Bystanders Rescued) - (5 Scheme Twists * 3) - (0 Escaped Villains) = 70 Total Score

I probably had an easier time with this than most people. Due to some fortuitous shuffling, all but two of the Scheme Twists were in the lower half of the Villain deck. In fact, I could've ended the game like 2 or 3 turns earlier and only subtracted 2 Scheme Twists, but I extended the game in hoped of improving my score and it backfired when I drew Scheme Twist, Master Strike, Scheme Twist and another Scheme Twist a turn later. Blockbuster gave our heroes problems early on, but they eventually took him out.

The Iceman cometh! Although I recruited some cards for all three heroes, I mainly went with an Iceman-focused strategy, and he delivered, as usual. If someone wanted to argue that Iceman is overpowered, I would not disagree with him/her. Gambit's "Card Shark" (ranged attack) meshed very well with Iceman, of course, so I didn't hesitate to recruit that card as well. Gambit was initially a hero I underappreciated. His "Stack the Deck" + "Card Shark" combo is one of the most satisfying combos in the whole game. At 2 cost, "Stack the Deck" is a bargain really, and since I usually played it first, I often used it to trigger Elektra's "Ninjitsu", another card that is a bargain at cost 2, arguably even more than "Stack the Deck". I mostly intentionally steered clear of "First Strike" and a "Sai Blades" strategy, but that was mainly because "Sai Blades" didn't show up in HQ until near the end of the game.

I just wanted to add that I really thought this was a very cool scheme. Great job, entwife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Game 1: Evil won! (Marauders)
Game 2: Evil won! (Marauders)
Game 3: Mastermind escaped! (Marauders)
Game 4: Good won! - 23 points (Marauders)

SCORE
Victory Points= 44
4x Mastermind Tactics (6) = 24vp
8x Bystanders (2) = 16vp
1x Maggia Goons (1) = 1vp
2x Vertigo (3) = 3vp

0x Escaped Villains (-1) = 0vp
0x Bystanders Kiddnapped (-4) = 0vp
7x Scheme Twists (-3)= -21vp

TOTAL SCORE: 44-21= 23 Victory Points

One of the toughest challenges so far. Early marauders and one or two scheme twists resulted in really strong villains. Once a few of them were strength 16 or higher, it was almost game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canales wrote:
Game 1: Evil won! (Marauders)
Game 2: Evil won! (Marauders)
Game 3: Mastermind escaped! (Marauders)
Game 4: Good won! - 23 points (Marauders)

Glad you got a win in the end - it also took us four games to get a victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.