Subject: Scenario: High Doom in the Andes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... Or: a rewrite of Scenario #20: Butch and Sundance's Last Stand.

One of my favorite of the 'Wild West' outlaws, Robert LeRoy Parker; aka Butch Cassidy. While I appreciate the movie version of the provided scenario, I wrote up a more 'historical' version of events that plays a tad differently. Much of the information of Parker's end comes from two older articles from True West magazine; 'The Last Ride' by Anne Meadows and Daniel Buck - and 'Classic Gunfights: High Doom in the Andes; Butch and Sundance Vs. A Uyuni Posse' by Meadows, Buck and Bob Bell.

Board setup is similar to the original, with the exception:

First Row: A (pointed up) + C (up)
Second Row: B (up) + G (down) + E (up)

Length: 30 turns

Situation: San Vicente, Bolivia - November 6, 1908. Having been tipped to be on the lookout for two "Yankee Americanos" possessing a mule belonging to the Aramayo Mining Company, whose payroll had been robbed by the men on Nov. 3rd, village official Cleto Bellot has informed a four man posse of just such a find. While one member of the posse relays word to a small detachment of soldiers, three of the posse members inspect and confirm that the mule is indeed the mining company's property. Butch Cassidy, aged 42, appears in the doorway, a fully loaded Colt revolver in his hand. Up until this point, the famous bandit has never taken a life. But it is fight or flight, and them boys out there look hungry.

Set up:

Side One - 3 cards, sets up first, goes first

#6 - +2 Robert Parker; aka 'Butch' Cassidy (pistol fully loaded; 12 ammo; i.e., 2 reloads; 3 pistol tokens total) - Health = Full (4), Starts on board G inside the doorway of the Bunk House.

#9 - +2 Harry Longabaugh; aka The Sundance Kid (rifle, fully loaded; 1 rifle token total) - Health = Full, Starts on board G anywhere else inside the Bunk House UNARMED.

-------

2 Mules/Horses, Starts on board G in the Corral; 1 mule has a rifle + 8 reloads; i.e., 8 rifle tokens, 1 mule has a pistol + 10 reloads; i.e., 10 pistol tokens.

-------

Side Two - 1 card

#10 - Soldier (Rifle) - Health = 2, Starts on board G directly inside Corral (facing inside).

#4 - Soldier (Rifle) - Health = 2, Starts on board G directly outside Corral (facing soldier #10).

#2 - +1 Inspector Timoteo Rios (Rifle) - Health = Full, Starts on board G next to Soldier #4 (facing Bunk House).

8 townsfolk - (Rifles, -2 modifier) - Health = 1, 3 townsfolk starts on board A inside buildings (player choice); 3 townsfolk starts on board C inside buildings (player choice); 1 starts on board B inside House; 1 starts on board B inside Barber. See below.

----------

#5 - +1 Captain Justo P. Concha (Pistol) - Health = 4, See below

2 townsfolk - (Rifles, -2 modifier) - Health = 1, See below

#1 - Soldier (Rifle) - Health = 2, See below

#3 - Soldier (Pistol) - Health = 2, See below

#7 - Soldier (Pistol) - Health = 2, See below

#8 - Soldier (Pistol) - Health = 2, See below

-----------

Special Notes:

* Side Two DOES NOT drop their weapons when eliminated.

* Side One tracks ammo; Side Two does not.

* Ammo tracking can be accomplished - for example - by starting Butch Cassidy with 3 pistol tokens. 1 token is placed on the Cowboy Track, as normal. When it reaches 0, remove 'spent' token from game. When pistol is reloaded, place the second (of three) pistol token on the Cowboy Track. Repeat as necessary.

* Townsfolk begin game unarmed. They do not arm themselves until the first shots ring out. Takes two turns to arm and then load their rifles; i.e., if Butch shoots on turn one, townsfolk do not come into play until turn 3.

* On turn three, Captain Concha enters the game, along with two townsfolk - all start on row H of board E; when they enter, Side Two gets a card.

* On turn seven, Soldier #1 enters the game - starts on row 1 of board C; when enters, Side Two gets a card.

* On turn nine, Soldier #3 enters the game - starts on row 1 of board C; when enters, Side Two gets a card.

* On turn eleven, Soldier #7 enters the game - starts on row 1 of board C; when enters, Side Two gets a card.

* On turn thirteen, Soldier #8 enters the game - starts on row 1 of board C; when enters, Side Two gets a card.

* For each Posse member or townsfolk eliminated, Side One gets an additional card (Up to 5).

* Side One MAY play TOWN FOLK cards. Doing so represents the faltering bravery of the townsfolk in question.

------------

How to Win:

Side One wins if EITHER Butch or Sundance can exit off of row 1 of boards A or C by the end of turn 30. Side Two wins by eliminating BOTH Butch and Sundance.

Recommended Advanced Rules:

* Facing After Movement
* Fan Fire
* Two Pistols
* Multiple Targets
* Shot Mules/Horses

Note: It is tough to recreate the small village layout, but you work with what you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played this scenario several times in the past couple of days. Each play resulted in a (very fun) loss for the outlaws.

The Hollywood version of events is that either Butch or Sundance made a last ditch (and successful) effort to reach their horses and ammo. From interviews conducted and the inventory of the bandit's possessions, it is unclear if they ever made it out of the room they were found.

Because of this, I set the scenario up so that the mules in the corral are almost a red herring. With the potential for so many soldiers and townsfolk converging on the outlaws, Adrenaline and Health cards are almost needed to get to the mules and back. Even then, the outlaw needs some luck to avoid the hellfire coming down on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you are not one of those who subscribe to the theory that Butch escaped then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
I take it you are not one of those who subscribe to the theory that Butch escaped then.

As a kid, I sure as heck wished it to be true. Joseph Campbell would have been proud of me.

The more I researched it, the more I came to the conclusion that the less sexy version of events went down; they blundered and were taken down by that initial posse of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.