Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The citizen is a complete asshole. Last time I checked it was still illegal to assault someone because of the words they use or because of their attitude.

I am increasingly convinced that the police, generally speaking and generalizing, are getting out of hand in the US. They are at the point now that they demand civility and respect. And, by respect I don't mean respect for their lawful orders, rather respect in the dissing connotation.

It is the police here that instigated the violence. The asshole-citizen did not need to be subdued. The police officer twisted his arm purposefully in order to cause pain and to terrorize and torture the citizen into submission.

As citizens we must be respectful of the police, as indeed we ought to be of anyone. But, we (citizens of western liberal democracies) do not want quasi-authoritarian police forces.

Specifically, in this type of incident, I'd like to see a $100 ticket for "insulting a police officer."

Specifically, in this case, I'd like to see both those officers fired for cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power inevitably corrupts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Didn't watch the whole thing - fire the cops, both of them and the guy who called had justification for being upset based on his initial story.... held down and punched by others and then having to protect his stuff. Any halfway trained police officer would have understood up front that people who call you are often already upset.

What a dick, that was criminal, abusive and degrading to police everywhere in America. I hope that kid sues the shit out of that police force and teaches them a fucking lesson. They need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents taught me to respect officers of the law.

Over the years, it's getting harder to do that. Here's an example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is filming this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, the video is over 2 years old (according to the date on the film). It's entirely possible the police are getting kinder, and they hit their peak of violence in 2011.

Could probably find out what happened in this case by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Here's a true winner of a cop:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been noticing a higher level of police aggression, but this does not appear like anything of the sort. The kid was acting strange and postured up, which indicates aggression towards to officer. They also held him down with compliance pain, they could have beat him off camera but did not.

He calmed down and the shit went back to civil.

Funniest part " im in the army"
boom arm lock !
" son , I was a Marine"
and scene..... shit was that funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

The citizen is a complete asshole. Last time I checked it was still illegal to assault someone because of the words they use or because of their attitude.

Agreed. This officer was way out of line and should lose his job over it.

Quote:

I am increasingly convinced that the police, generally speaking and generalizing, are getting out of hand in the US. They are at the point now that they demand civility and respect. And, by respect I don't mean respect for their lawful orders, rather respect in the dissing connotation.

Well hold on now, there are a lot of police officers in this country. You can't say "the police" are getting out of hand when we get some crazy ones popping up here and there. Honestly, it's not that difficult to see why the crazy ones turn up either. You put people in a high stress, high danger job and then you convince half the population that they are the enemy. Would a good cop have nailed that dude? Absolutely not, but it's not too difficult to see how a bad cop would eventually snap after enough situations like that.

If we cut down on this "look how awful all police officers are, be afraid of them" nonsense we might not see quite so many of the weak ones break down and start lashing out like the monsters we paint them as. All officers like this should be fired and punished but the problem isn't purely due to those in the profession.

On an unrelated note, I would also like to know who is filming. It seems like the camera is attached to the asshole but since when did cops walk around with cameras on their chests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the bloke was a twat, and should have been cautioned, but that does not justify what the "marine" did. It also speaks volumes as to why being an ex-soldier does not grant you some kind of special moral or ethical authority. Imagine if this wanker had been a teacher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I have been noticing a higher level of police aggression, but this does not appear like anything of the sort. The kid was acting strange and postured up, which indicates aggression towards to officer. They also held him down with compliance pain, they could have beat him off camera but did not.

He calmed down and the shit went back to civil.

Funniest part " im in the army"
boom arm lock !
" son , I was a Marine"
and scene..... shit was that funny.
The kid had just been assaulted (well, 45 minutes before) he may well have still be dazed or concussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
100% what Clay said. Yes, there are bad apples, and those bad apples need to be dealt with swiftly and thoroughly. We can't have police terrorizing the population. But let's not stop there, we can't have police responding in kind to non-physical provocations, nor can we have them escalate those provocations to physical altercations without cause.

That said, I'm torn on this subject, because they are only human. They have to put up with this shit 24/7. They are constantly on edge, wound up like a top, because their job often demands it. There is a fine line between this guy getting up in his grill and someone even more crazy or desperate or pissed off throwing punches or pulling out a gun and shooting. Having someone take an aggressive posture like that at you isn't something to be taken lightly. It can escalate to a life or death situation in the blink of an eye.

I think what the cop did wrong was act like a jackass in the first place. There was no need to force the guy to put out his cigarette. It was a power-trip kind of thing to do. The guy might have been fine had the cop not shown up and immediately start bullying him around. Should he be fired? I don't think so if this is his first offense. I think this is a probation kind of thing. If he does it again, then yes, fire him.

We have to stop demonizing the police. Their job can be super freaking difficult, to constantly be on the edge of danger, but be expected not to make any mistakes. Similar to doctors. I think it's necessary to expect and demand that of them, given what's at stake (in both cases). But I think we all need to be careful to stop short of getting into some kind of group-think hate frenzy because one or two of them snapped under the strain.

I'll leave you with this. A cop who most assuredly would have been criticized for pulling his firearm out or throwing this guy to the ground, maybe even fired for doing so, had the guy not been armed (... and, you know... tried to murder him). After all, is it a crime to stand there defiantly if you felt you were pulled over unjustly? (OK, it probably is a crime in some states to exit your vehicle, but you get the point.)

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
This sickened me. I fucking hate bullies. I sincerely hope the police in the video suffered some repercussions for this.

As to generalizations about police getting worse, MY anecdotal experiences prove otherwise. I witnessed a pedestrian in Chicago stop and start screaming horrific abuse ("Fuck you pig! Fucking nazi gestapo police, that's right pig walk away you fucking fuck" etc etc) at a police officer who was simply walking down the street. The cop glanced at him and then just kept walking, totally professional. More recently, police in downtown Ann Arbor reportedly ignored similar verbal abuse by random bystanders. Maybe they were just busy, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
http://rt.com/usa/iowa-police-deadly-force-400/

Opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
The father is a wanker, calling the cops in his son for a domestic, and the son not only failed to obey ponce instructions but was acting in a way that endangered both police officers and the public. This kind was clearly a spoilt petulant youth who cared about no one else, and was willing to risk others people so he could throw a hissy fit.

Should he have been shot, well I would argue if you allow people to shoot in self defense if they think someone is a threat then this applies, the kid was a threat. Would he have been shot in the UK, no and that is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.