Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently bought several games and I must say the cards with A Touch of Evil and the Something Wicked expansion are a problem.

The cards from Something wicked are longer than the base set cards so it really screws up trying to shuffle them. This is unacceptable.

I didn't care much for the card board counters either which are easy to damage when punching (the exterior layer can be easily peeled) because they cardboard doesn't seem compressed enough.

The pictures are pretty.

Anyone else notice the card length problem or is this isolated to my sets?

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I noticed a difference, but it didn't make it any harder for me to shuffle though, so I don't mind. If it is a problem, just sleeve the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are slightly hard to shuffle, although I never really thought about why. I just thought it was the thickness of the cards. Maybe they are different lengths -- I'll have to check. It doesn't bother me regardless.

I don't have any issue with the counters peeling. That's the first time I've seen someone comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards or a specific set? I know they reprinted the secrets cards for free:

http://stores.homestead.com/FlyingFrogProductions/Detail.bok...

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the counters peeling: To be fair, I should say I only had a couple out of the a hundred or whatever both sets have in total do this and it didn't peel totally off or even 1/3 of the way, but it started to when punching out the pieces and so for the remainder of the pieces I exercised extreme caution removing them and didn't have an issue. However, this is the first game I have had to even worry about that with. I have punched many games and I don't remember having and problems with the parts where the cardboard is supposed to tear away instead pulling up the surface of the counter.

On the non-uniform card length: Maybe sleeving them takes care of this. I don't know as I don't do this to any of my cards and I don't think I should need to in order to be able to properly shuffle the deck. With the basic shuffling method I employ, when you shuffle your fingers will mainly catch on those "longer" cards and so several 'shorter' cards after will also end up together instead of properly shuffled. I guess I'll look into new ways to shuffle.

It is bothersome to me that Flying Frog is apparently 'okay' with the card length variation in a single, meant to be combined, game line.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the A Touch of Evil base game and then the Something Wicked expansion. I don't have any other accessories for this game so I don't know about the other expansion(s) and whether their cards do or don't match the base set.

Something else I started to put in my opening post but didn't is that the aToE cards are noticeably 'thick' compared to other games. This too makes them more difficult to shuffle although is minor compared to the length discrepancy. I just opened up Race for the Galaxy and was reminded of what cards should feel like--yeah, I know, that subjective, but still. I like a deck of cards to feel like a deck of playing cards and the aToE cards are a bit thicker for sure. I am guessing those thicker cards are cheaper to produce. They seem like they would be more inclined to get messed up edges and have the surface mark or rub off compared to whatever Race for the Galaxy and Star Wars the Card Game uses.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the AToE games and I sleeved my cards when they were new so I never noticed any differences in size or thickness. I see where it could be annoying though if the cards were not sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only noticed a difference of maybe 1mm or less in mine. No big deal. Nigh imperceptible.

The thickness of the cards is universal to all FFP games. I like it. They're nice & heavy & durable.

Counters I never had an issue with. I just had to be careful when punching one or two that weren't cut all the way on the top/laminated layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.