Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When the latest in Romulan starship design proved ineffectual against the standard Starfleet heavy cruiser, the Imperial Senate struck a deal with the Klingon Empire. In exchange for cloaking technology, the Romulan Star Empire would receive a number of D7 heavy cruisers which had proven, enmass, to be an effective deterrent to Starfleet. When the Enterprise came to be outnumbered by these new Romulan D7, the Empire was humiliated yet again when its newest vessel was not only borded, but its cloak and captain stolen and used against them. After this incident, the Empire withdrew behind its borders, choosing to study, research and build, determined never again to face such humiliation.

Years past and the D7s, as well as the copies produced by Romulan shipyards, began to show their age. Although not outwardly expanding, defense of the Empire was always of importance. With this in mind, the Senate authorized a complete refit of the aging D7, renaming it the Deleth, or “Bodyguard” Class Warbird although its crews privately referred to it as the Wort Class or “Bastard”

The new Warbird utilized a duel impulse system designed to maximize the effectiveness of the cloak by minimizing ion emissions. This made for painfully slow acceleration but a higher than normal top speed. A second, more traditional, impulse drive could be utilized when not cloaked to deliver maximum thrust.

The warp nacelles, too, were redesigned as well as the general shape of the vessel in order to create a warp signature smaller than its tonnage would otherwise produce. This had the effect of rendering the new Warbird undetectable at speeds up to warp 5.

Seen as unnecessary by a race that did not retreat, a rear weapon’s grid was installed including a pair of aft torpedo launchers. The forward grid was also upgraded with the unique ability to fire both plasma based and photonic torpedoes. The added machinery required for this feet of engineering required an extensive redesign of the head and neck portions of the D7, as well as the addition of a pair of large capacitors at the base of the neck that could be charged by the reactor and used to power the plasma warheads. This enabled two plasma torpedoes to be launched prior to the lengthy recharge period, during which time standard photonic munitions could be used.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really digging this - the design is clearly D7 inspired, but also distinctly it's own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. We never saw any of the Romulan ships inbetween the D7 and the TNG warbird so I am trying to fill in the blanks. My real goal is to create a proper looking warbird to use against the Enterprise C, however, if enough people like this one I'll make a model and upload it to shapeways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
A little hard to buy as a refit, but as a Reverse-Engineered copy of the D7, I could totally see this ship in action.

I really like the Starfleet Museum's explanation of Romulan ship progression (it got derailed by Enterprise, though):

Their ships used fusion-based warp drive during the first Romulan War (as did the Federation).

The Federation won the war mostly on the basis of having figured out Ant-Matter power.

The Romulans had trouble replicating the Anti-Matter system, and instead tried to work with Quantum Singularities as a power source. In the meantime, they were buying Klingon ships until they could get the QS drives to work (which wound up taking over 50 years).

At some point during the period, the Klingon-Romulan relationship obviously soured, so the Romulans would have been forced to build their own anti-matter ships.

Your concept fits beautifully into that slot - a reverse-engineered (or refit) concept since all their resources were tied up in the QS research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
A very groovy ship. And glad someone else is doing Romulans They have been sorely mneglected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I like were your going with this. I was just going to repaint some D7's with all the hull plating removed to give the Romulan something inbetween the 22 century Warbird and the D'dederex class warbird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last of my needed Romulan Warbirds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.