Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the game at Essen and it looks fantastic, though unfortunately I didn't get chance to play.

However, I did make the following point at the time:

If you are running a kickstarter, please make sure you can distribute some copies directly from Europe.

Even if Kickstarters from the USA have artificially low postage charges, it does not remove the problem of VAT and handing fees imposed on non-EU goods imported.

In the UK VAT adds 20% and then there is usually a handling charge of around £9 (10.50€). This makes many projects too expensive. A number of KS projects have subsequently implemented European distribution to reach the extra customers this brings

I am sure I am not the only one who will wait for a retail copy of a game rather than kickstart one that only gets sent directly from the USA, simply because of the hidden costs.

I hope this is helpful

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Posco wrote:
I saw the game at Essen and it looks fantastic, though unfortunately I didn't get chance to play.

However, I did make the following point at the time:

If you are running a kickstarter, please make sure you can distribute some copies directly from Europe.

Even if Kickstarters from the USA have artificially low postage charges, it does not remove the problem of VAT and handing fees imposed on non-EU goods imported.

In the UK VAT adds 20% and then there is usually a handling charge of around £9 (10.50€). This makes many projects too expensive. A number of KS projects have subsequently implemented European distribution to reach the extra customers this brings

I am sure I am not the only one who will wait for a retail copy of a game rather than kickstart one that only gets sent directly from the USA, simply because of the hidden costs.

I hope this is helpful

Ian

Hi Ian, thank you for your kind wishes.
I am very well aware of the problems that EU backers face in regards of showing their support for US Kickstarter projects - the world is getting smaller and smaller but we are still divided inside our comfort zones. But i digress.

My main objective is to fund the game and deliver it to our dear backers.
The lower backer pays (customs, VAT) - we are happier; it's very easy math (and I love math).

Ideal solution (more than 1.000 orders from EU):
Producing the game through Ludofact for EU backers - win/win for all parties included.

Great solution (a lot EU backers):
I can operate within the margin of my feasibility and use Amazon fulfillment services to reduce the customs/VAT costs. Ship the number of pallets from China to London, transfer custom fees on myself and let Amazon/distributor do the rest.

Good solution:
At least some decrease for shipment and product price with bundling 3 boxes together.
Present all international shipments as 'gifts' in order to try and reduce the additional costs.

It all comes down to adapting; based on the the volume and geographical distribution of our support. We are informed and in active communication with many organizations, researching and doing everything in our powers in order to professionally complete this thing - from start to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i may tune in here:
Depending on the result of the Kickstarter, i would really like to have the option of turning down an immediate delivery in favor of a translated German copy. I know that is a stretch, but given the quality of the prototype i was able to play with you, there must be a line of Publisher waiting for you! So i would like to back the game, but if there is a faint hope on the horizon that there will be a German release i certainly would like to wait... And i really hope you resolve the empty Homer head issue
Best wishes
Flashhawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeings from Germany,

We talked about the problem of shiping and customs at the Spiel in Essen. What I can say is that the team of Machina Arcana is aware of many problems which other KS project are first facing during their campaigns. So with the start of the KS I hope most of the common questions will be answered really quick.

For sure at this point +1000 European backers should be the goal anyway!

Since we played this game i cannot get it out of my mind. I really hope this KS will be a great success.

In the means of a german version @Juraj How was the test game with the guys from Pegasus you had at the Spiel?

Best wishes
Ulrich

P.S. I would love to get a sneak peak at the planned stretch goals to be even more excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Abtellus wrote:
Greeings from Germany,

We talked about the problem of shiping and customs at the Spiel in Essen. What I can say is that the team of Machina Arcana is aware of many problems which other KS project are first facing during their campaigns. So with the start of the KS I hope most of the common questions will be answered really quick.

For sure at this point +1000 European backers should be the goal anyway!

Since we played this game i cannot get it out of my mind. I really hope this KS will be a great success.

In the means of a german version @Juraj How was the test game with the guys from Pegasus you had at the Spiel?

Best wishes
Ulrich

P.S. I would love to get a sneak peak at the planned stretch goals to be even more excited!

Ah dear Kolja, thank you for your optimistic view! For now, there is still not a glimpse of a German translated version on the horizon. And yes, we are working on the Homer head.

The guys from Pegasus never came. Well I don't blame them; so many awesome games and so little time.
And yes Ulrich you are right: I'll address all the common questions in our KS page. Distribution for EU backers and why there are no miniatures in the game!

For German version, I must be blunt: even if we have +1000 backers from EU, the game will still be in English. Only in the near future we can talk about translations, but let's not go ahead of ourselves at this point.

Ah yes stretch goals. I'm sure you will find them interesting.
Speaking of which, do you have any special wish for a stretch goal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your beautiful wife as game character would be starter
And when a German version comes out I'll buy a second copy
Kolja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashhawk wrote:
Kolja

To the designer:

I would like to request more clothes on the female game characters please.

Those stock female characters with oversized breasts spilling out of their costumes turn off a large section of the gaming community you know - those playing primarily with wives, children and female friends for instance; a larger section and more affluent than the adolescent boys I assume they are aimed at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:
Flashhawk wrote:
Kolja

To the designer:

Those stock female characters with oversized breasts spilling out of their costumes turn off a large section of the gaming community you know - those playing primarily with wives, children and female friends for instance; a larger section and more affluent than the adolescent boys I assume they are aimed at.

to be perfect clear here:it was not my intention to assume that your wife should be portrait as a pinup here in any way, just that I would be delighted to be remember of the conversation we had on spiel before/after playing the game while playing it!!
Kolja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Don't worry Kolja, I am very well aware of the context of your compliment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TracyB wrote:
Flashhawk wrote:
Kolja

To the designer:

Tracy, a very interesting remark, and one that invites debate; albeit without any real conclusions. I can only try to explain our approach; although it is very interesting to note that the explorer in question (Kim) is the least played explorer in our experience (and by a high margin).

Kim's appearance is unique among the explorers. Her story and persona make her appearance believable, and what is more, she is a representation of a real-life model. Every explorer represents a set of different psychological archetypes and as long as Eros/Sex is prevalent in our psyche I feel it justified to include it, without shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
If she is the least played explorer because of the way she has been represented is there not another way you could depict her? Why would you include a character that few people want to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Didn't expect this remark here, where in my view there's a single downright questionable card throughout all the artwork. That is I see Lorai's clothing as simply casual and she has actually everything covered (or I just don't see it).

I agree the motive with Kim is obviously there, but as long as she remains an exception and there's some background to support it I think it's nothing harmful. She's still more clothed than most females from an average fantasy art. Did you poll why players choose some characters over others?

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't mind more clothed women in future. Or perhaps an older one, wise and experienced. Those, unlike older men, don't make appearance often.

In case of children I would be more concerned about the picture of piled corpses and talks about evisceration than a woman having a provocative dress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Juraj I told you she will make trouble in this dress. Many other Kickstarters had the same problem. Although I cannot understand the problem I don't need another discussion about it. I think the easiest way would be to overwork the art to be more old woman like AND let the old artwork as kickstarter exvlusive addon or maybe a hole bunch of cheesecake characters .
The stretch goals man this is hard. There are some obvious things like new characters, map tiles, chapters and monsters. But what about a complete new location like a Zeppelin or an icy cave? Another one would be to gives us the characters made of thicker cardboard with places for the weapons and gear just like a hack n slay inventor.
Make the dice engraved not printed. Artprints or even a artbook would also be great.

And sorry for this one: miniatures as stretch goals
Ok forget about the last one you will have reason for this decision and lookat King of Tokyo not every good game needs miniatures.

One wish is left : May we get an Forum up on the website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Based on your great propositions of stretch goals: you will be pleased.

Currently BGG forum will do for now, of course I will quickly adapt and provide our own if the chatter demands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been in kickstarters with over 16.000 comments. ?.... But we will see.

Have you planned video reviews of the game? Or maybe some how to play videos? Something like the demogame in Essen would be great to have as an explaining video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, hopefully 3 video reviews.
Also we are really putting a lot of effort into creating video tutorials that will serve as a learning method (for those who love to watch more than to read). I'll keep you posted of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! Oh I am so excited about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep an eye on the kickstarter and when the Euro distribution is confirmed then I expect I will be a backer.
Unfortunately not until then.

I really hope you meet that level of interest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ian I totally understand your position.
We will keep everyone posted considering this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t.r. liljesköld
Sweden
järfälla
se
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: European Disturbance...
Regarding the so called issue with female characters being too attractive and hence no one would want to play with them, both me and my lady over here is very much in agreement that it's without a doubt the other way around. More people will play this character for the good looks (be it men or women), than the very few opposite who get so offended they could never even watch a movie from start to finnish. (This must be the case then? Personally I'd not watch a movie hoping everyone to be less good looking than myself as a set goal; neither would I refuse to play a game character because it's not unattractive enough. I'm not saying TV is good here, just saying hypocrisy is bad..)

Besides the game was founded within hours, so I'd say most people think this is a good, regardless of or thanks to the artwork in question.
Steampunk attire that has been created for events in 'real life' is generally sexy in all it's representation', very few people cosplay to have eyes turned away and people running for the hills in dismay.

I am also 100% in agreement with the above: 'In case of children I would be more concerned about the picture of piled corpses and talks about evisceration than a woman having a provocative dress'. A steampunk game about fighting lovecraftian horros should not cater to small children first (or ever), there are way more suitable ways for those who can't stand on their own to be entertained.

And take a walk outside on a busy street today or swing by a bar and you'll see much 'worse'...

To further solidify the point; a couple of kickstarters with scantly clad women:

Kanzume Goddess (successful kickstarter at 685% more than funding goal)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370924922/kanzume-goddes...

Kingdom Death: Monster (successful kickstarter at 5856% more than funding goal, over 2 million USD more than asked for!)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-mons...

So Juraj, and the rest of the team, if you want to sell even more copies of the game; you know what to do!

End of rant. (+ European fullfilment would be great.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

We want to thank all of our European backers for their support and patience. Today we are happy to announce that we have made arrangements to provide distribution of your backer rewards from within the European Union!
The additional $20 will stay (as indicated in the reward text), but Amazon's fulfillment service will be handling the distribution, which means there will be no hidden, additional charges for our dear European backers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.