Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you ever played with just what's in the retail box? I have lost numerous times because I ran out of certain zombies. Does the abomination pack eliminate this problem?

Of course with more zombies on the board the difficulty is spiked a bit too but at least it would seem you may be able to fight your way out rather than just end the game.

What has been your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play with just the retail set, and often with the full abomination pack.

And, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

The thing about the abomination pack is that it adds spawn cards as well as zombies into the mix, and those spawn cards spawn only walkers, and lots of them.

So, all that happens is that you end up running out of walkers and getting extra activations that way.

Now, I have also played with the extra zombies but without the additional spawn cards and that does make a difference.

However the difference is only in how quickly you get activations. If you're not killing zombies quick enough you're going to die from extra activations sooner or later no matter how many zombies you have, so more just delay the inevitable.

Now, if you're finding the game too difficult, the better solution, rather than adding more zombies, is removing Zombie spawn cards. Guillotine Gamws wrote up a piece on how to tweak the zombie deck to make the game easier (or harder) - take a look on their website in the blog section under designer's notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played several times with and without the Abomination pack. One only real difference beside what Scott said, is that since you have extra Walker spawns, you will see fewer Runners and Fatties, when playing with the Abomination add ons.
For a while we tried only adding the extra Walkers from the Abomination set, since we never got even close to running out of Runners or Fatties but to be honest it did'nt do much of a difference. Once you run out of minis it will mean two things. 1. You did a mistake somewhere and now comes the punishment. 2. You will loose the mission in a matter of 1-3 turns. By that time it doesn't really matter if Walkers, Runners or Fatties will bring you down. Results the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I often play with just the retail set, and often with the full abomination pack.

And, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

The thing about the abomination pack is that it adds spawn cards as well as zombies into the mix, and those spawn cards spawn only walkers, and lots of them.

So, all that happens is that you end up running out of walkers and getting extra activations that way.

Now, I have also played with the extra zombies but without the additional spawn cards and that does make a difference.

However the difference is only in how quickly you get activations. If you're not killing zombies quick enough you're going to die from extra activations sooner or later no matter how many zombies you have, so more just delay the inevitable.

Now, if you're finding the game too difficult, the better solution, rather than adding more zombies, is removing Zombie spawn cards. Guillotine Gamws wrote up a piece on how to tweak the zombie deck to make the game easier (or harder) - take a look on their website in the blog section under designer's notes.

It's not that I find it too difficult, it's certainly not easy, I was just curious as to whether more zombies made it easier. I've toyed with the idea of using zombies from "Zombies" and "Last Night On Earth".

Thanks for the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Have you ever played with just what's in the retail box? I have lost numerous times because I ran out of certain zombies. Does the abomination pack eliminate this problem?

Of course with more zombies on the board the difficulty is spiked a bit too but at least it would seem you may be able to fight your way out rather than just end the game.

If you play with just the extra tray of zombies, and not the extra spawn cards, then it will eliminate the problem of extra activations to a certain degree. However, more zombies on the board definitely doesn't spike the difficulty. When you get to the point that there's that many zombies around the survivors are usually super-killy (is that a thing?! It is now!), extra activations are far more hurtful,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Have you ever played with just what's in the retail box? I have lost numerous times because I ran out of certain zombies.

Yes, I have played both ways and don't care for the instant death double activations.

jphien wrote:
Does the abomination pack eliminate this problem?

This is the way that I prefer to play!
In order to boost your zombie horde to the point of having enough minis to avoid extra activations you will have to have two base games or base game and three extra box of zombie 1. This count will put you close to the no extra activation spot.

I have the abomination pack and walk of the dead 1. We rarely run out of minis, but when we do it is walkers because of the walk of the dead cards(as Scott mentioned).

Some people claim that when the zombie count gets high enough that you are getting extra activations the hoard is now unmanagable and you would lose anyway. This is the part of this discussion that, having played both ways I do not agree with. With a set of geared up survivors at orange or red level you can shred your way through just about any hoard.

I am looking forward to seeing what the new item/spawn cards do to this. The box of zombie 2 cards look brutal, good thing I have even more zombies now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've done is just ignored the "all x zombies get an extra turn", and also, if I've run out of a specific type of zombie, instead, I spawn the next level of zombie.

IE: I'm out of walkers, and it calls for a fatty, I spawn a runner instead of the fatty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.