Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just got Mage Wars and I am loving it. I was playing the Warlock against the Priestess and a question arose. I cast the Enchantment Magebane on the Priestess's Asyran Cleric. He has a special ability called Healing Light. Is that considered a spell or a special "attack"? Is magebane just used on mages? Thanks :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, I had to dig a bit and I'm still not sure of my answer, but I think that the Cleric's Healing Light would be a special ability, not a true spell for Magebanes' purposes.

However, a creature like Fellella, who has channeling and can "cast" actual spells from your book (enchantments only in her case) would trigger magebane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of the Asyran Cleric, Healing Light is NOT a spell, it is considered a Special Action. Special Actions are described on page 11 of the v2.0 Rulebook.

Some Special Actions are considered spells. For example, the Wizard's Arcane Zap is considered a Quick Attack Spell. For a Special Action to be considered a spell, however, it must specifically state that it is such.

A good rule of thumb is to see if it costs mana. All "spells" currently in the game cost mana. Although some can be discounted to the point where they are free, such as the Forcemaster's Special Action, "Force Pull", which starts at costing 1 mana but becomes free with the use of a Force Ring and is considered a Quick Force Spell.

I did a quick search of all the creatures currently in the game, I repeat "quick" search, so I might have missed something. But from what I saw, only Familiars and Mages are currently able to cast spells. Therefore, Magebane is only useful against these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much the both of you. There are a lot of small rules I am trying to get the hang of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. The forums here and on the official Mage Wars website are both extremely helpful so don't be shy with questions. There are quite a few little rules. Luckily, most of them are intuitive and when you go with your gut instinct you're usually right. The FAQ and the Codex are your best friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.