Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Question to those who have been gushing (hee) over this game:

What is the benefit to shipping your oil to an opponent's refinery? For a price of 2 shares of their colour, the refinery owner gets to claim 4 shares of any colours when the refinery empties. This seems like a strong disincentive to cooperation and really made our game feel isolationist.

What did we miss?

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to your own refineries, you either get four shares or you go to to continent for scoring. If you go to other players' refineries, you get two shares plus you get placement in the continent. The two options are rather balanced, and the correct result will be situational ;e.g., can you bankrupt an opponent by taking their shares; are you helping a weaker player or a stinger one; etc.). In our games, players that used other players' refineries tended to do better, if only slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To simplify the comparison, imagine that you have two oil barrels in eastern Asia. You have a choice to transport them to your own refinery in Asia or to an opponent (Red) refinery in Asia.

If you use Red's refinery, you get four Red shares and both of your oil barrels end up in Asia for the majority scoring. For the sake of evening out the comparison, imagine that, in using your own refinery, you would take four shares with one of the two oil barrels and send the other to Asia for the majority scoring.

The marginal advantage of choosing to use Red's refinery, relative to each of your three opponents (Blue, Green, Red), can be roughly stated as follows:

vs. Blue: +0 shares, + 1 barrel
vs. Green: +0 shares, + 1 barrel
vs. Red: -4 shares, +1 barrel

There is obviously much more nuance than this, but using Red's refinery allows you gain a 1 barrel advantage in Asia scoring against 3 opponents, at the cost of giving just one opponent a 4 share advantage over you. Since continents are worth more points, there are more continents than shares, and oil is scarcer than shares, I tend to see that as a small positive net.

And this is assuming everything is otherwise equal.

If transporting to your own refinery would require additional transportation costs (even one share a barrel), it is probably a no brainer.

If you are in a close race for the Red share majority and you think Red will take shares in a company where you are already far in fourth, the choice again becomes easier.

If you think Red's refinery is more likely to fill up before the Round 5 scoring, or going to Red's refinery forces Blue to pay extra shares to move his oil elsewhere, or any number of other contextual scenarios arise, then using your own refinery is potentially an objectively bad move.

I hope that helps. I've only played twice, so I am by no means an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the critical flaw in the English rules, at least the way we read them!

We were playing that foreign oil goes back to player's supply instead of to the continent regardless, which broke the game. Sigh. Con Syndrome strikes again, and this time I was to blame as I read the rules.

Yeah, have to play this one again.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramirez Kyogen
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mb
It depends on giving the other player more shares or do you want a barrel on a continent where no other have oil drums yet, meaning receiving points at round 5 and in the last round.

A tactic can be, if you have enough money, building a refinery on a location where aren't any refinery on the continent yet (like the white continents as Australia or Europe for example) and transport some oil drums at that place. If you have a card which allows you to empty a refinery at any time on your turn or at the end of the game, You score points for that.

If you've tranported 2 or more oil drums of your own color and no one else placed there oil drums, you can return some oil drums in your supply and receive shares as long you keep 1 oil drum for the continent score.

If you are aware of this tactic and another player is going to do that (he has enough money and placing oil drums on tankers) then you want to have oil drums on his tanker as well (or the tanker which hes going to use and there's at least one oil drum of his own color). Of course he receives 4 shares from your oil drum but you receive 2 shares and VP as well with continental scoring in the end. A second place still gives you 4 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the critical flaw in the English rules, at least the way we read them!

We were playing that foreign oil goes back to player's supply instead of to the continent regardless, which broke the game. Sigh. Con Syndrome strikes again, and this time I was to blame as I read the rules.

Yeah, have to play this one again.

pk

Glad I could help. Sorry that the rule confusion ruined your session. That does indeed sound game-breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.