Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What Games should I buy at a Board Game Sale this weekend at Ogre's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zaeia Irons
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I have played Settlers of Catan, Dominion the basic one and a few other games like Tsuro. I am still knew to board games but my friends and my fiance really enjoy gaming 2 nights a week.

There is a store near me in St. Louis having a sale that is 40% off Board Games Sale!!

So now is the time for me to Expand my collection to a lot of games with a discount like that, right?!

40% off all the games they have. The store is Ogre's Games in St. Louis.

So --- I am looking for all of your suggestions as to what are the basic like, 10 games I should own in my collection. I already have Settlers and Dominion.

Thanks for your help all! We will much appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good thread, but maybe it should be moved to Recommendations, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play mostly as 2P, then maybe this metalist will help

Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (71 lists!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Young
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend Trains,Bruges, Rialto, Suburbia, Belfort, Ginkopolis, Ora Labora, and Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaliceguardian wrote:
There is a store near me in St. Louis having a sale that is 40% off Board Games Sale!! The store is Ogre's Games in St. Louis.

Thanx for the heads up. Never heard of Ogre's. And I have lived in St. Louis my whole life. Usually I just hit Miniature Market for deals. When is the sale?

Found their Facebook listing... they're @ 4501 South Kingshighway, St. Louis 63109

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaeia Irons
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Is Acquire good? I was looking at it last time i Was there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaeia Irons
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey Mark it is tomorrow (Saturday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K.
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive escape from Atlantis... Key word here being "enjoy". Can't go wrong with carcassone either. We've had a ton of entertainment for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ Shoemaker
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is excellent with 2 players and very good with 4. It's a little more complex than some of what you played, but not overly so. (I taught my non-gamer in-laws to play)

Snapadonut is right on with Carcassonne, that is one of our favorites as well. Plays great with 2 - 5 (or 6 with the Inns & Cathedrals expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh I wish they had a web site. St Louis isn't too much a drive (90 mins) and would be worth it for 40% off, except for not knowing what they have in stock

Edit: Google Street View of all things has an indoor picture of the store! Looks like fairly small selection but some good titles on the wall, I just might go after all.

https://www.google.com/maps?layer=c&z=17&sll=38.587572,-90.2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
This is a good thread, but maybe it should be moved to Recommendations, perhaps?

definitely... does not belong in "hot deals" per

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/656400/whats-a-hot-deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Young
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes, Acquire is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sparky7139 wrote:
I recommend Trains,Bruges, Rialto, Suburbia, Belfort, Ginkopolis, Ora Labora, and Power Grid.

( sarcasm )

All FANTASTIC recommendations I would make to a 'bgg newuser' asking about what games are good, and likes games like Tsuro and basic Dominion.

( sarcasm )
shake

Anything from Knizia. Ticket to Ride. Dixit. Basic games that you'll bring out to friends.

EDIT: I'm leaving my snark in there. I'll give maybe Trains and Suburbia a pass, but otherwise Belfort, Rialto, Bruges, Ginkopolis, Ora Labora, and Power Grid are all a one-way trip to making a post on this geeklist right here:

http://www.bgg.cc/geeklist/150392/my-family-is-a-bunch-of-lo...

and it's FrUsTrAtiNg when people make these suggestions to new people and we wonder why it's such a niche hobby.

Are those games too much for anyone who finds themselves on boardgamegeek? Absolutely not. Are those games too much for the audience of most people who haven't played a game since Monopoly and Risk---and someone who is new to explaining rules? Absolutely.

Other recommendations:

Carcassonne, Acquire.

Stone age can be a bit much for 4 players new to new games, but otherwise this list is all the 'family' games:

http://www.bgg.cc/familygames/browse/boardgame?sort=rank&ran...

Generally I like a game with a 'weight' listed as 2.3 or lower for casually interested family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaeia Irons
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Is Carcasone like Settlers of Catan? I only ask because when looking it up on here, it feels like it is a similar but different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaliceguardian wrote:
Is Carcasone like Settlers of Catan? I only ask because when looking it up on here, it feels like it is a similar but different game.

Only in that they are both well established classic "gateway" euro-style board games. They're different enough that they each scratch a very different itch.

Carcassonne is a tile laying game primarily concerned with area control. It has no dice, no trading between players, and no using resources to build elements like Settlers.

You can click through any of the titles below to be taken to the game page for descriptions, pics, and reviews.

+1 Castles of Burgundy

+1 Carcassonne (Hunters & Gatherers which is a "best of" that saves you from having to buy a ton of expansions)

With Ticket to Ride I'd suggest the Nordic Countries edition as the best base game for 2 players.

Railways of the World

Yinsh

Pandemic OR Flash Point (whichever theme appeals most)

Stone Age OR Lords of Waterdeep (whichever theme appeals most)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin R
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I concur with
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recommendations with one minor caveat.

While the Nordic Countries map of Ticket to Ride is excellent for 2, the max number of players it will support is 3. So if you are interested in playing it with another couple, it wouldn't work well. If you want a map that will work well with a larger group, Marklin or Europe are good choices. That said, I own and love Nordic, so it's a good choice if you occasionally play with 2 to 3 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chaliceguardian wrote:

By the way, if you like Tsuro, Indigo is really neat.

I also like Paris Connection, Forbidden Island, Villa Paletti,Excape, Dice Town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Koon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up Innovation, either the Asmodi or the Iello edition. Great civilization building game that is easy to learn and plays pretty quick. Lots of variety, but still very strategic. At 40% off it should run you about $20.

The Asmodi edition has 2 expansions out, the Iello edition only has one so far and their expansion is hard to find in the U.S. Both editions are the same game, just the graphics are different.

It's hard to go wrong with a Werewolf style game like The Resistance
or Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that have been big at my more casual game group include:
King of Tokyo
Rise of Augustus
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Carcassonne
Forbidden Island
Ticket to Ride
Small World
7 Wonders
Gang of Four
Coloretto or Zooleretto
Roll Through the Ages
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Seasons
For Sale

If you mostly play with the same people then I'd highly recommend checking out.
Space Alert

Have fun with your shopping spree.
Be warned, if you get this far into the hobby, you won't be able to stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
+1 Waterdeep. The rules literally take only 5 minutes to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddell wrote:
Games that have been big at my more casual game group include:
King of Tokyo
Rise of Augustus
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Carcassonne
Forbidden Island
Ticket to Ride
Small World
7 Wonders
Gang of Four
Coloretto or Zooleretto
Roll Through the Ages
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Seasons
For Sale

If you mostly play with the same people then I'd highly recommend checking out.
Space Alert

Have fun with your shopping spree.
Be warned, if you get this far into the hobby, you won't be able to stop.

I forgot one (probably several) Takenoko. Don't let the panda and pastel colors fool you. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firemaple wrote:
I concur with NuMystic's recommendations with one minor caveat.

While the Nordic Countries map of Ticket to Ride is excellent for 2, the max number of players it will support is 3. So if you are interested in playing it with another couple, it wouldn't work well. If you want a map that will work well with a larger group, Marklin or Europe are good choices. That said, I own and love Nordic, so it's a good choice if you occasionally play with 2 to 3 people.

True enough. Of course with TtR no matter what base set you start with there are expansion maps that scale for different player counts.

Nordic is my base set of choice and I use the Asia and Africa maps when I've got 4-6 players. (I also have a set of wooden train tokens in 7 colors)

That said you can just as easily go with USA as the base game and get the Switzerland expansion for tighter 2-3 player games.

Worth noting that Europe is a "friendlier" game particularly well suited to those who prefer less confrontation. If your group is one that enjoys competition I'd go with one of the other base games.

skoon wrote:
Pick up Innovation, either the Asmodi or the Iello edition. Great civilization building game that is easy to learn

Innovation is not a game particularly known for being easy to grasp.

skoon wrote:
It's hard to go wrong with a Werewolf style game like The Resistance
or Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition

Note that these are games that shine with larger groups. (best with a minimum of 5+ players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! If your group really enjoys Catan and you've had any interest in expansions, Mayfair (it's publisher) has a hard rule about discounting their games by less than 10%. If your local store is actually selling Mayfair games for 40% (or even 30%) off grab everything of interest from their catalog.

Specific Mayfair titles to keep an eye out for:

- Catan expansions of interest
- Pillars of the Earth
- Downfall of Pompeii
- London
- Steam
- Tigris & Euphrates
- Automobile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cartagena

trans America

10 days in the USA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I was in Ogre's, they did not carry most of the games suggested in this thread. They were focused mostly on rpgs and ccgs, with a smattering of boardgames like Descent and Chaos in the Old World.

A few thoughts:

- I agree that cheap is a good price and 40% off sounds good, but you might still check around.

- I really like Acquire, but it is dry and mathy for some.

- Acquire should have been called Monopoly and Monopoly should have called Acquire.

- You should join the Saint Louis Boardgame Meetup Group. You'll get to try an amazing number and variety of games before deciding to buy. Also check out Geekway, the local gaming convention.

- There really is a guy called Ogre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.