Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in September I made a list of upcoming games I wanted… and realized it was going to stretch the budget. That was the motivation I needed to sell some games. Now a month and a half later, I made more than enough money to cover my initial wish list, yet I found myself still woefully short of where my wish list now stands. The reason for both of those is KICKSTARTER. It has reached a crescendo for me in the last few weeks, making me really analyze my purchases (erm, I mean pledged support) of projects from there.

First, I knew I was sitting on a gold mine, in the form of Zombicide and all the extras from the original KS campaign. I made a pretty penny from selling it, and the plan was for those funds to fuel my game purchases for the next 4-6 months.

I also sold Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster, also with all the KS extras. I took a loss on this one (as has most everyone else selling it), but I was still well ahead overall. Sedition Wars gave me my first signs of introspection regarding my Kickstarter support. It was my first high-priced dud. I have supported other games that fell flat for me upon receipt, but all of them together total well less than I spent on Sedition Wars.)

So there I was… sitting on a fat PayPal account and secure in the knowledge that I had the money for my game purchases for the next few months, when I started watching Golem Arcana approach its final days. I really wanted to see this project succeed, so I jumped in at the "Lancer" level, and added some extras. Ouch. (This has the title of my second most expensive KS pledge, behind a Cthulhu Wars DVM pledge.) But Golem Arcana embodied what KS was about to me in that it was bringing real innovation to the table and it was just trying to cover costs rather than being an elaborate preorder system with tons of "freebies."

Well, that was a dent in the budget, but manageable and worth it. At the time, I was just planning on supporting Journey: Wrath of Demons, and buying FFG's Q4 products (Eldritch Horror, Wiz-War: Malefic Curses,and BattleLore (Second Edition).)

But then Mantic posted the weekend special $300 pledge for Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game and I hopped in. That is a great value, and if you are interested in the game, I suggest you go pledge now as it's inside its last 48 hours. But, ultimately it's the straw that broke the camel's back and I dropped my pledge for it yesterday. But, there's more to why:

About the same time Journey: Wrath of Demons went live, Monte Cook also started a campaign for "The Strange." I'm a fan of Numenera, so of course, I'm in!

Then I found Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. Anyone that follows KS will no doubt have heard about their escalating pledge level fiasco. Nonetheless, I had them put me down for a Minecart. Here's where I really started to question myself, but I wasn't done yet. O yeah, have you seen Run, Fight, or Die!? I was lucky enough to get an EB for that.

Most recently, "Battle Systems Sci-fi Modular Terrain" and Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins just went live. I haven't pledged yet, but I did add them to my spreadsheet.

Thank goodness for that spreadsheet, because it revealed the depths of my madness. I was set to spend over $1500 on Mars Attacks, Journey, RFD, The Strange, Shadows of Brimstone, AvP, and Sci-Terrain (and that doesn't include the FFG board games I originally wanted!) Needless to say, that well exceeded the money I made from selling Zombicide, Sedition Wars, and some Warhammer 40k stuff. It also exceeded my sanity threshold… at this point--with the spreadsheet staring me in the face--there was no way to justify that type of spending, whether I could afford it or not. It was time to make some decisions:

It was a big step for me to drop Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game. It took me all week to finally make the decision, which I executed this morning. And I do keep looking back. Again, it's a great value, and if you are interested, pledge if you can. But in comparison to all the others I mentioned, it had the least traction with me, and evidently a bunch of other folks, as the project lost money all week (but it made that back and then some today. Good for them!) Ultimately, I think Mars Attacks suffered from the long pledge window and multiple overlapping projects. If they would have ended their project a week ago (even 3 days ago) they'd have my money. But the long window gave me more than enough time to reconsider what was mostly an impulse pledge. So, the lesson I offer to any future KS projects is: I think the days of long funding windows is over. Set a shorter window so you are overlapping with less competing projects and so that pledgers have less time to question their decision.

My next step was to seriously question the Minecart pledge for Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. In addition to the fumble with their EB pledges, there are some pretty blatant signs of a money grab by FFP on this one. For instance, the base games are $75 for 32 miniatures and all game components each, but an additional copy of one character mini (with no cards) is $6. Really? Sure, my $475 would get me 'everything,' but my math says its not worth it. The discounted KS prices are not really discounted, certainly not to the point that I'm willing to loan them that much money for the next year before I receive the products. In the end, I do think that the $150 pledge is a great value. I may even pledge for a few add-ons, but I see no reason to tie up a Minecart worth of money for something that will be available on the shelf for the same or less price a year from now.

Yay, so I'm now down to pledging only $1000 in the next month. Maybe.

After the initial day of Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins, I was not impressed with Prodos professionalism or "our stretch goals are things you can spend more money on" design of their campaign. They posted many arrogant comments telling people "if you don't like it, go away." While I do agree (if you don't like what's being offered, don't spend your money), I think it is completely out of line for a business to state that. That said, they have made up some for that, throwing in two sets of freebies so far. If this new approach continues, they will earn my support.

Of course, if I buy that, I have to get the Sci-Fi Modular Terrain! That's another great project that I suggest you jump in on if you are in the market for something like that.

Finally, Journey: Wrath of Demons, is the project I was budgeting for all along. I think it is one of the best run KS campaigns I've been a part of yet. It offers real value for something that is gorgeous and has top-tier production qualities from a humble yet eager team. The value continues to get better with each stretch goal. Sure there are some add-ons, but even they show restraint and value… how can I justify $24 for 4 more 32mm plastic character figures from Shadows of Brimstone when Wrath: Journey of Demons will sell me 7 54mm demon figs for $21?

If I could only support one project it'd be Wrath, hands down, no questions asked, in a heartbeat. But since I can afford the others… well, I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. But, I will be parting with significantly less of it, thanks to campaigns that 1) run too long and overlap, 2) overvalue their products, and possibly 3) don't value their supporters.

Am I cured? Hardly. But I am more discriminatory and less eager to pledge top tier. I'm also hoping that right now is something of a perfect storm on KS for games. Hopefully we won't see so many good projects competing at the same time again anytime in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Savoy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just wanted to reply and echo your opinions on Journey. It's my main project this month. Very insightful and I can definitely relate to sinking a lot of money in KS. My buyer's remorse has come in the form of kaosball. I digress though, I'm glad you're joining us over at Wrath. My anticipation for this game is high and Marrow has run the best kickstarter project I have seen, tabletop game or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Controversial or Fraudulent Kickstarters.

Up Front explained
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Savoy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
frumpish wrote:

And what is the relevance of the Up Front debacle with this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post. I can agree with you that long campaigns really can hinder a project - this week is when my "holiday brain" started kicking in, and I freed up about $300 of my gift-giving budget just my dropping down a few levels (or full support) from a bunch of Kickstarter projects.

I love Kickstarter. I love the idea of crowdfunding, and as time goes on I realize I really value the "process" aspect of it. Many campaigns may have a final product that falls flat, but getting all the info about the projects and seeing prototypes come in are worth a huge portion of my pledges. It's not a board game, but the Broodhollow campaign is a good example of a project where I feel I've gotten (most of) my money's worth from the updates alone.

BUT, to be honest, the drag between pledging and delivery is starting to wear on me. Why should I wait 9-18 months when there's so much out there I could buy NOW? The Double Fine Adventure is almost two years in the past now. Was Story War worth waiting for? I just dunno. I've basically stopped pledging for video games by this point because the wait is too much.

I no longer allow myself to raise my pledge in the last 48 hours of the campaign. I can drop it, yes, but never raise it. I don't let myself have more than $300 tied into any number of active projects. But ultimately, right now, I'm sitting at probably close to $1500+ in the hole, in terms of projects that haven't delivered rewards. That makes me uncomfortable to think about. If my "big money" pledges (like Myth) don't deliver on fun, I can easily see myself only pledging for small, quick to deliver card games so it's not so painful when something disappoints.

Sorry I made a big ol' TLDR on your topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Savoy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah...but you didn't give any kind of preface, opinion, or relevancy. Here's a link, figure it out yourself. It's kind of weird, is what I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funcrushed wrote:
Yeah...but you didn't give any kind of preface, opinion, or relevancy. Here's a link, figure it out yourself. It's kind of weird, is what I'm saying.

I think you have mistaken me for Brad. laugh

The entire point of the two links I posted was to make it clear to other users why Brad posted a link to Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Savoy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
frumpish wrote:
Funcrushed wrote:

I think you have mistaken me for Brad. laugh

The entire point of the two links I posted was to make it clear to other users why Brad posted a link to Up Front.

Whoops! I'm on my phone and BGG is tiny, sorry that was most definitely meant for brad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post and something I've been struggling with for the last year or so. I've backed 58 projects (first one was Alien Frontiers) and have spent a fortune. This year I've spent way more on KS projects then regular games and I've backed out of several this year for similar reasons.

Dawn: Rise of the Occulites was one I went all in on but eventually backed out. I really wanted the game and agonized on staying. But the campaign was long and they had terrible trouble with people dropping out the last week. I think if it was shorter they'd of done better and I would of probably stayed. I had way too long to think about it.

Right now I'm in on Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients at Outlaw level and debating about how many add-ons to back. But its getting pretty expensive so also deciding if I should stay or not.

I've noticed many of the games I've backed over the past few years I've sold off on a big loss so I'm trying to be more picky. I've had some great games from KS but more of them then I care to admit have gotten 0-1 play before selling them. Not such a good track record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the new AVP Kickstarter game is a complete and utter rip-off and the morons are using CMON to manager the US part of their KS. Utter. Fail.

Glad I passed on that one.

KS in general, has been pretty much a bust as far as I've been concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steψhen Hazy
Australia
Yagoona
NSW
flag msg tools
Why did the Kangaroo cross the road?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the article and thumbs up!

There are far too many good projects on kick-starter at the moment.
Journey: Wrath of Demons has me hooked on the Premium Journey ($180). I love the mini's, mini's variety and the game play looks as though I can have lots of fun with playing it as is and making a lot of house rules.

Shadows of Brimstone looks good at the $150 pledge level with a few extras. $475 for the mine cart level is just too much for me.

Aliens vs Predator also seems expensive to me but I can guess there are high license fees for this(but looks like a great game, hoping a rich friend will buy it so I can play it). Mars attack is not my thing but I can see fantastic value for those that like aliens invasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
KS in general, has been pretty much a bust as far as I've been concerned.

I have to say, honestly, this hasn't been my experience. Mostly my experiences have been more positive than negative. Out of all the projects I've backed (80, my KS profile is the same name as here if you're curious), the only real "misses" for me have been Dungeon Roll, and an ebook called the Silver Token (which was probably the worst thing I've read in years, but I think maybe the author died so you're not allowed to say bad things about it). Story War hasn't seen any play, granted, but I kind of knew going in that it wasn't something that would hit the table often here, the art is cool, and I don't think they falsely advertised it or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funcrushed wrote:

The thread was (before it meandered off about 2 sentences into the OP) about getting weary of Kickstarter projects, Brad responded with Up Front, Steve didn't follow, frump added explanatory links to clear up why Up Front is enough (for many) to get tired of KS. It is perfectly relevant and, in my opinion, clear.

Reading the OP, I can understand that you may be more interested in talking about a KS you and the OP are both excited about, but that's not the only thing this thread is about (and judging by the title, not even the main thing).

Speaking about good projects, the best gaming-related KS to date (for me, anyway), was Bones 1.

OT: I can certainly see how one can get tired of KS. I'm not one of those who are constantly suspicious about every KS ever because they read the Katalyka page too often, but the system certainly encourages overspending on interesting things (Not to mention the whole KS-exclusive nonsense).
My solution so far has been to simply no longer even look at KS unless I'm prepared to blow away a hundred or so, which means a lot less looking at KS for me. I haven't even been burned on any KS' so far (Well, half-burned on one, but that was like 15$, so not exactly a threat to my livelyhood), but the sheer number of projects that *look* interesting, and the level to which price-gouging stretch-goal and exclusive use has been perfected by KS-project managers combines to turn me off.

Edit: Yikes, I started typing my response, clicked away from the window and suddenly there's like 5 responses more there, I need to post more quickly. -.-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:

If I could only support one project it'd be Wrath, hands down, no questions asked, in a heartbeat. But since I can afford the others… well, I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. But, I will be parting with significantly less of it, thanks to campaigns that 1) run too long and overlap, 2) overvalue their products, and possibly 3) don't value their supporters.

Interesting post. I think you make a lot of good points. But the part above I think is the crux of the matter. Here you're outlining a set of values that you think a Kickstarter should exhibit... but at the same time you are saying you would still back a KS that you feel has gone against them (AvP). That suggests you're not as in control of things as you recognize you should be. Perhaps a good standard you need to set for yourself going forward is to be strict (even unreasonable) about your criteria. Forget goodwill and charity, as you know it's really all about temptation anyway. If they don't meet the criteria, excommunicate them, don't look at the page again. Otherwise, like you said, it's too easy to become a fool parted with his money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about the whole Odin's Ravens fiasco as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tendency with gamers on Kickstarter is to back nearly every miniatures related game at a high tier to ensure that they acquire those precious extra miniatures. I wanted to dive into buying miniature games when I originally began perusing Kickstarter but I quickly realized that these campaigns were money pits for my wallet.

Question for the OP, what draws you to games that encourage spending at these $100+ levels? I read the Mars Attacks campaign and watched the videos. The game seems like a basic miniatures game with minis from the franchise. The tip-off for me that it was not a campaign I would want to support was that the $100-ish pledge level included only a few minis compared with the levels above.

I think these campaigns that rely heavily on adding more minis to increase pledge levels end up creating the worst publicity for Kickstarter here on BGG because the game may not live up to the level of investment for each backer. I am a conservative Kickstarter user: have only backed 11 campaigns, 8 board games, 3 video games. Ogre has had the longest wait time, but I am happy to announce that I should be receiving my copy within a week. What I've learned in my time as a backer is that there are always going to be more games than I feel my wallet can handle backing (especially because there are other games that I want). I have to figure out which games are worth spending my money on and allow for some of those mouth-watering ones to slip through my fingers without any regrets.

TL:DR? Pumpkins are large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNvP wrote:
TL:DR? Pumpkins are large.

This part made me laugh because there's currently a pumpkin-themed game on KS, with a stretch goal for (I'm not kidding) larger pumpkin miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Nice post! A very interesting read for me.

I think a long duration KS acts as a double edge sword - it may get more backers on board, but it allows backers to cool their heads and ponder over if the game deserves a spot in our collection. It's a good thing I guess for those of us who buy on impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mars Attacks is the first actual game that I've backed. The rest are all accessories, Reaper I and II, dwarven forge (amazing stuff!) and a few small ones. When I look closely at the games, I just feel like I may as well just wait for retail and for some decent reviews.... although I seriously wish I had backed OGRE. I don't have any regrets for any others I've looked at. I eventually bought Escape the curse of the temple in retail but I don't regret missing the kickstarter.

AVP is 135+ for the base game (including shipping to US)... simply outrageous when I'm currently looking at other much cheaper and probably better conventional games like Space Cadet Dice Duel, and Caverna (which Tom V says is AMAZING). Mars Attacks just kindof clicked with me so I decided to back it. It's just such a shame that Mantic has made so many missteps with the stretch goals.... if they had done it right it so could have gone to 1 mil. It seems like the game companies are getting much more careful (perhaps too careful) so that they avoid over committing like with Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Mars Attacks is the first actual game that I've backed. The rest are all accessories, Reaper I and II, dwarven forge (amazing stuff!) and a few small ones. When I look closely at the games, I just feel like I may as well just wait for retail and for some decent reviews.... although I seriously wish I had backed OGRE. I don't have any regrets for any others I've looked at. I eventually bought Escape the curse of the temple in retail but I don't regret missing the kickstarter.

AVP is 135+ for the base game (including shipping to US)... simply outrageous when I'm currently looking at other much cheaper and probably better conventional games like Space Cadet Dice Duel, and Caverna (which Tom V says is AMAZING). Mars Attacks just kindof clicked with me so I decided to back it. It's just such a shame that Mantic has made so many missteps with the stretch goals.... if they had done it right it so could have gone to 1 mil. It seems like the game companies are getting much more careful (perhaps too careful) so that they avoid over committing like with Ogre.

This reply may be somewhat off-topic, but what I like that Ogre did not fall victim to was demanding that backers pledge more and more money to receive a game of incredible size. Ogre offered almost everything to anyone willing to pledge $100 with a few extras that seemed unimportant at given how much was getting packed into the box. Seriously, the box is f*cking huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Reaper Steve wrote:

Interesting post. I think you make a lot of good points. But the part above I think is the crux of the matter. Here you're outlining a set of values that you think a Kickstarter should exhibit... but at the same time you are saying you would still back a KS that you feel has gone against them (AvP). That suggests you're not as in control of things as you recognize you should be. Perhaps a good standard you need to set for yourself going forward is to be strict (even unreasonable) about your criteria. Forget goodwill and charity, as you know it's really all about temptation anyway. If they don't meet the criteria, excommunicate them, don't look at the page again. Otherwise, like you said, it's too easy to become a fool parted with his money.

Justin --
You are exactly right. While I'm proud of myself for cutting current pledges (and expected pledge for current products) by 1/3, I also recognize that I'm still laying out a pretty severe amount of money right now. While I hope some of that is because currently there's an unusually large amount of projects that directly appeal to me, but I fear that's just how I justify it.

AvP does highlight my lack of 100% pure conviction in my pledges. The property appeals to me like almost no other. But the initial structure of the campaign and the Day 1 comments of Prodos served to stop me from committing, at least so far. They've taken some steps since to earn my money, but that's far from decided. I'm very leery about this being a KS-only version. Reading between the lines, I think that means all this money will be used to fund a retail version that I can get off the shelf later. If that's the case, why pay now?

Whatever my decision, AvP is one of the many players that has made me question my pledge habits (the other major players being Sedition Wars and Shadows of Brimstone.) Ironically, the first project to feel the consequences of my introspection wasn't one of those (well, I did sell Sedition Wars), but Mars Attacks, which has run a very professional campaign for what I view as a very fair pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funcrushed wrote:
Just wanted to reply and echo your opinions on Journey. It's my main project this month. Very insightful and I can definitely relate to sinking a lot of money in KS. My buyer's remorse has come in the form of kaosball. I digress though, I'm glad you're joining us over at Wrath. My anticipation for this game is high and Marrow has run the best kickstarter project I have seen, tabletop game or otherwise.

Actually, I resisted pledging for Kaosball. The gameplay video was all I needed to see to know that I could pass on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.