R J
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a variant question.

I don't own the game, but have been watching the videos and it looks interesting. However, I am wondering if you could play this game without randomly shuffling the hero deck at start. In other words, could we make it more of a roleplaying game where I get to choose what equipment I start with and what order they are in my "pack"? Basically, put the cards in the hero deck in the order I choose.

At first I thought this might give the player an advantage. But it seems like there could be some risk involved. If I put all my good equipment at the top of the deck and I take damage and am forced to discard it, then I am stuck with bad cards the rest of the game. Which means there is some strategy involved with building my deck, maybe I want to save some good cards for later, when I may really need them.

Does my logic check out? If it does, I would probably enjoy playing the game more this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking the order of your starting deck would definitely be a variant, that's not the normal rule. Personally I'd suggest playing the game normally first and seeing what you think. Then if you want to experiment with the variant go for it. If you do play with that variant though you might want to do it with a different set of characters than you use for non-variant games since the variant probably changes the difficulty of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are entitled to cheat at the game as much and as often as you want If you keep playing alone.

More seriously the game is easy and your variant just remove one of the small number of element of gaming included : hand management.

I would strongly advice playing the game FIRST, then starting to device variant to make it more enjoyable to you... Because, frankly, you just dont know currently how much you will really enjoy it the way it is supposed to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Koon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, your character deck is only 15 cards and the size of your varies by character but is usually between 4-5 cards/ So there really aren't any "bad" cards in there. There are also many chances to "recharge" a card, basically put it on the bottom of your deck and draw a replacement card. Also each character has a preferred type of card. For example, the fighters preferred card is a weapon. So if your initial hand draw does not contain at least one card of the preferred type, you discard and re-draw your hand until you do end up with at least one of that type in your hand. Then you shuffle your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Armors are bad cards. And some combinations of good cards are decidedly better than other combinations of the same good cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Armors are bad cards.

Right. Armor is horrible. Except for when you put one back into your deck instead of putting one or more into your discard pile due to combat damage; or when you bury one instead of taking any amount of damage of any kind that isn't explicitly irreducible.

So, yeah. It's horrible except for when it's saving your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Seelah and Ezren both have abilities that proc off of the top card of their deck, and knowing that top card would give them both very significant advantages that I don't think are intended in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.