Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's what I keep seeing anyway...

There's probably an interesting thread in that title somewhere. Does the planet ever regrow life? Would that life take on the same forms we have now or would the vastly different state of the world relative to when life first formed lead to an entirely different evolutionary chain? Does the answer to either of those questions matter? Does this finally disprove all of religion somehow?

Discuss. Or don't, because there isn't much to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

There's probably an interesting thread in that title somewhere. Does the planet ever regrow life? Would that life take on the same forms we have now or would the vastly different state of the world relative to when life first formed lead to an entirely different evolutionary chain? Does the answer to either of those questions matter? Does this finally disprove all of religion somehow?

Exterminating all life would be very difficult. If you mean just the higher forms are gone, then of course things would proceed differently. There is no plan in evolution.

Attempting to disprove religion is a pointless pursuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
The Message wrote:

If I understand correctly, probably even if the conditions for starting off with new replicators as happened in the past were never to recur, some hardy bacterium which made it onto a comet or something could reseed a descendant of life originally from earth (perhaps even a satellite in a decaying orbit could do the job). So even if we didn't get a lightning strike to play Frankenstein (again, if that's what it was), there's hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day one: Much harder to book a table at the Heavenly Bistro. The maitre'd, Peter, don't let just anybody get a corner booth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life would evolve again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
After The Extermination Of Terrestrial Life...

Does this finally disprove all of religion somehow?

To whom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

Disprove? Can you disprove something that doesn't and can't exist?

It's gone until whatever is the next sentient life form discovers the concept all over again....either from a terran source or from off world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
Life would evolve again.

Depends very much on what wiped out the earth and the initial probabilities of life evolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Well...when I killed off human life in SimEarth (http://videogamegeek.com/videogame/76036/simearth), it was dinosaurs that evolved and took over the earth. So, yes, I would say that some form of life would become sentient and rule again. I've already proven it scientifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
The Message wrote:

Religion doesn't and can't exist? I think I can look out my window and empirically prove that religion does exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

Everything starts over and evolves exactly the same, the only difference being RSP is spelled PSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
It's very difficult to conceive of anything that is going to wipe out all life on earth without taking the planet with it. eg mould spores, viruses, etc are incredibly hardy

Reseeding from a satellite sounds most probable. I doubt life would spontaneously occur again since conditions on earth now are very different to when it first occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
It's very difficult to conceive of anything that is going to wipe out all life on earth without taking the planet with it. eg mould spores, viruses, etc are incredibly hardy

Reseeding from a satellite sounds most probable. I doubt life would spontaneously occur again since conditions on earth now are very different to when it first occurred.

it's inevitable that the oceans will boil off at some point and the atmosphere will be somewhere about 700K. hard to see life existing then planets will have another billion of so years left before it gets swallowed by the sun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
muntmeister wrote:

it's inevitable that the oceans will boil off at some point and the atmosphere will be somewhere about 700K. hard to see life existing then planets will have another billion of so years left before it gets swallowed by the sun though.

Rather makes the question posed moot though doesn't it? The implication is of an event that wipes out life on earth but then restores conditions to something in which life could exist. In the above death of earth scenario due to the expansion of the Sun the answer is obvious - life couldn't spontaneously re-occur since the conditions that destroyed it in the first place are still in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
The Message wrote:

Religion doesn't and can't exist? I think I can look out my window and empirically prove that religion does exist.

if you are looking out the window, then the extermination of all terrestrial life has not happened yet.. unless of course you are on the ISS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
The Message wrote:

How will you look out your window if you and everything else on the planet is dead?

Who is even there to know to call the thing a window?

How is the concept of a window even a thing if there is no one to explain the difference between it and anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Message wrote:

Considering the weird places that we've found extremophile bacteria, it's hard for me to conceive of an event that would wipe out all life, short of when the sun goes red giant and engulfs the earth.

A 95% or 99% level extinction event, I can buy. But not all life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
The Message wrote:

Considering the weird places that we've found extremophile bacteria, it's hard for me to conceive of an event that would wipe out all life, short of when the sun goes red giant and engulfs the earth.

A 95% or 99% level extinction event, I can buy. But not all life.

Vogon Destructor Fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Vogon Destructor Fleet?

made me laugh! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.