Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my X-Wing "roleplay" rules, rough draft.

http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Squadron-Roleplay-R...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I run a similar story based campaign only I allow players to form teams for both sides and than I as the GM make up the difference for one side or the other to keep it balanced. My first campaign took place from a few weeks before the Death Star attack thru its destruction. The new one I will be running will be couple weeks after the DS destruction and the Imperials trying to prevent the Rebels from escape Yavin IV and the rebels trying to find a new base and breakout of the system to reach it. Some other things I did slightly different were to allow:

.....I allowed pilots to acquire upgrade talents equal to there pilot skill – so a level 5 pilot could have PTL and Swarm Tactics at the same time.

......Ship and Weapon upgrades were permitted up to there base cost – so a ship could have Engine Upgrade, Stealth Device, Proton Torpedo (but 1 use items cost double and received a Disabled token when used until a later turn in which the pilot as an action could remove the token and reactivate the system)

.....Droids were also upgradeable – a basic R2 unit could add R5's ability at its cost times 2 (so 2 points or R2D2 ability for 8 points)

.....When ever a ship is lost the pilot must eject with varying penalties involved including death. I also gave this ability to advance droids. Ship and weapon up grades would be lost with the ship.

......Special named pilots and the larger ships are saved for storyline elements.
Special characters abilities could also be purchased but at double their current pilot kill level (so Vader's ability would cost 18 action points)

A lot of the the other things your doing I'm also using in some variation or form. I look forward to reading about your progress in the future.

tj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are cool ideas.

I've tried to design these rules so that there's very little (maybe zero) possibility of breaking the game with impossible combos. This is the reason why pilots get just 1 elite talent slot, and why pilot abilities are limited to specific ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark corver
msg tools
I like it. Only thing i might add is if ship is destroyed roll a red die.
Blank: Lucky escape, carry on.
Hit: Wounded, miss next mission, player playes a rookie next game.
Crit: Dead! R.I.P (destiny re-rolls can be used)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow interesting guys. Please don't hesitate to share the rules etc and how the games actually turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. My friends haven't gotten into X-Wing as much as I have, but they're all big into RPGs. Might try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Corver wrote:
I like it. Only thing i might add is if ship is destroyed roll a red die.
Blank: Lucky escape, carry on.
Hit: Wounded, miss next mission, player playes a rookie next game.
Crit: Dead! R.I.P (destiny re-rolls can be used)

I think all of the RP rules I've seen for X-Wing include something like that, but I find that it makes players anxious, unhappy and conservative to know that such a rule exists. I want my players to be enthusiastic, joyful and willing to take chances.

Getting your ship destroyed early in a mission and sitting out the rest of the game is bad enough, and I tend to give those players control of one or more of the enemy ships for the rest of the mission, if they want to. But losing your PS 8 character you've been playing for two months is heartbreaker.

I might add it as an optional rule (I especially like the Wounded option), suggesting that it only be used if all players agree to it.

Brian1981 wrote:
I like this idea. My friends haven't gotten into X-Wing as much as I have, but they're all big into RPGs. Might try this.

I've found that this is a great format for introducing new players to the game, even if you're planning to play mostly 100-point standard dogfights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Finally got around to registering after lurking for ages. Thanks for posting these rules, loving the X-Wing RPG idea and rules, will definitely be trying to convince some friends to try them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.