Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about failed questing and threat increase. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you commit no one to the quest do you have to raise your threat by the whole amount in the staging area?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's Threat - Willpower, if you send 0 Willpower then yeah you take a big Threat hit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Cockell
United Kingdom
Weston Super Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Though its worth remembering with more than one player - its Threat minus total committed Willpower on the table. If player a commits and player b doesn't, player b still benefits from the willpower committed by player a.

Yes, I made a massive mistake in that area when I first played cooperatively instead of solo! D'Oh!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. That means I played my first game very wrong. I was so proud that I won my first game too but don't feel I can call it a win now though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's OK. I made the same mistake. I also used two copies of Steward of Gondor in my first game, and I really thought the game was easy after I finished playing with all those mistakes. lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Dang. That means I played my first game very wrong. I was so proud that I won my first game too but don't feel I can call it a win now though.


I'm a new player too, and I have made dozens of errors. This board has provided really nice (and fast!) responses on questions I've had.

Given the fiddly nature of the player interaction with the encounter deck - which I like - it's inevitable that you'll have gray areas.

I also like that you can get guidance here without people calling you a moron, which is nice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A J Dickie wrote:
I also like that you can get guidance here without people calling you a moron, which is nice.

Yes, that is nice. But we are morons. I can't believe I didn't realize our mistake with Forest Snare. I was thinking of it as an event that played "as an attachment."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
otscotty wrote:
A J Dickie wrote:
I also like that you can get guidance here without people calling you a moron, which is nice.

Yes, that is nice. But we are morons. I can't believe I didn't realize our mistake with Forest Snare. I was thinking of it as an event that played "as an attachment."


As it turns out, it made no difference to the outcome of the game.

I had a Son of Arnor card in my hand at the time, which we could have used to force that enemy to engage you during the planning phase, which would have allowed you to play the Snare at that point, as opposed to erroneously playing it during combat.

But we will do it properly from here on out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A J Dickie wrote:
otscotty wrote:
A J Dickie wrote:
I also like that you can get guidance here without people calling you a moron, which is nice.

Yes, that is nice. But we are morons. I can't believe I didn't realize our mistake with Forest Snare. I was thinking of it as an event that played "as an attachment."


As it turns out, it made no difference to the outcome of the game.

I had a Son of Arnor card in my hand at the time, which we could have used to force that enemy to engage you during the planning phase, which would have allowed you to play the Snare at that point, as opposed to erroneously playing it during combat.

But we will do it properly from here on out.


Wait what? I think you've confused me. It sticks around on the enemy you attached it to right? I'd hate to think I skirted the vicious attacks of Chieftain Ufthak more than once by playing Forest Snare wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:

Wait what? I think you've confused me. It sticks around on the enemy you attached it to right? I'd hate to think I skirted the vicious attacks of Chieftain Ufthak more than once by playing Forest Snare wrong.


Sorry for the confusion. We've used Forest Snare incorrectly before by playing it in the wrong phase. Because it is an attachment card, it must be played during the Planning Phase. So, the Forest Snare cannot be played on enemies as they are revealed during the Quest Phase. Instead, players will need to wait until the next Planning Phase to snare them. But, once the Forest Snare is attached to an enemy card, I assume it remains attached until that enemy card leaves play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay related question: If you're on a quest card like "Stay on the Path" from Passage through Mirkwood, where there are no quest point on the card, just a win condition, do you still have to do a quest phase?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and if you fail during questing you still add the threat to your threat counter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anatole69 wrote:
Yes, and if you fail during questing you still add the threat to your threat counter.


Lame. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because we beat Ungoliant's Spawn right away but the question came up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Anatole69 wrote:
Yes, and if you fail during questing you still add the threat to your threat counter.


Lame. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because we beat Ungoliant's Spawn right away but the question came up.


Yeah it's weird but at the same time I think it makes a little sense. Thematically a drawn out combat could draw more attention, which would increase the threat of being pursued more by the dark lord.

I'm not sure how questing would prevent that in a thematic sense, unless maybe you say something like the questing characters are actively working to keep the attention off a heated battle through the use of distraction and diversion techniques?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.