Subject: Pricing: Limited Edition versus "run of the mill". rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Today is tournament day for Heroclix: Star Trek Tactics where I am, so I figured I'd take a moment to take a look at just how much the tourney prizes are worth (in case I win something that would better sold than kept) and, well the prices were a little.. Off. At least to my mindset.

That is, I looked up one of the larger prizes on offer today, the LE Borg Cube from Wave III, and found that it was at best worth £20 - £25. Whilst the "regular" Tactical Cube from the same wave is worth £35 at the very least!?

I'm not complaining as I already have one, but to my mind, the LE should be worth more than something widely available (that is however not the most common of models).

So my question is what gives? Does being able to pick something up as a promo instantly devalue it's LE quality or, is this a case where it might be of more value down the line? Warship Voyager hasn't improved any, that's for sure.

Luckily, I don't play / collect / trade for profit, but I am intrigued how more experienced players value their clix and, their interpretation of why the market is the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my lifetime of clix experience (MK, MW, HALO, HC, STHC:T), I would have to say that worth is all based on how powerful the miniature is. MW, MK, and HC all have some overpowered minis, which lead to higher prices. HC (including ST tactics) seems to be the most balanced of all the clix games, but there are still some overpowered/unbalanced minis that bring top dollar.

I have not purchased any of series III yet, but I am assuming that the plain set borg cube is better either power wise or point wise when it comes to tourney/casual play. The LE cube is still worth more than a lot of their other minis though.

The biggest thing to remember about ALL CLIX games is that prices decline rapidly as the minis age. For example, I have a GSX magneto and enterprise E that were worth more a year or two ago than they are now... these games are all bad when it comes to investment pieces. If you want to get max $ or trade out of your pieces, sell or trade them now and buy them back for half the price in a year or two.

Hey, congrats on getting the cube though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.