Subject: Military vs. Non-Military and Victory Tie-Breaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game again, yesterday (2nd game). Four players this time (first was three). Everyone, except me, was new to the game.

Needless to say, everyone liked the game quite a lot.

As I was last in player order, and everyone jumped on military early (which kinda defeated my initial plan to grab some colonies), I tried a no-military approach, and got the highest VP in the end (tied with one of the high-military players for the first place, so I was second, since he was higher in the player order - I was last in the player order for the whole game (started last, was last every round); also, I lost 1 VP to defeat in war pretty much every round - I did play on King level, though, while everyone else played on Prince).

So, it's quite possible to get decent VP, even if you completely ignore the military side.

However, this led me to thinking about the following...

The victory tie-breaker is simply the player order. While this has the benefit, that there is no need for another tie-breaker, it would seem fair, if there was a first tie-breaker (before player order) being the chosen level at which you played (i.e. Emperor > King > Prince > Chieftain).

It is harder to achieve the same VP at a higher level, after all.

What do you think?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I have limited experience with this game (on pre-order), but that seems like an extraordinarily reasonable variant to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems unnecessary to me. If you can't accept losing to your friends when playing on a harder difficulty, don't play the harder difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
Seems unnecessary to me. If you can't accept losing to your friends when playing on a harder difficulty, don't play the harder difficulty

Except that player order is determined by the military level, which again encourages the ones going for military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been there before. I think it is better to let them have the win with the knowledge that it was a heck of a lot harder for you to earn your points than it was for them. Next time, invite them to play at a harder level and then you will likely clean their clock. It is amazing how well the difficult level tweak works (and going up a single level is significant).

I recommend experienced gamers start at 3 resource level and casual gamers start at 4. If you are really good at nations 2 makes it challenging and when everyone playing is that good go for 1 and see who survives .

Additionally: Adding in advanced and expert decks without thinning the basic deck makes the game much harder as well (some resources might not come out for several rounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I absolutely do not mind someone else winning.

Was just wondering, when we happened to have this case, which probably does not happen often...

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.