BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Trying to figure out what game this actually is... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Lockhoff
United States
California
flag msg tools
So my girlfriend brought home a game from The Las Vegas Renaissance Faire. She only spent 5 bucks and for something so cheap, is a surprising fun simple warm up game. How ever the person selling it sold it as "Dragon Dice." I know that's not true. I'm trying to figure out what game it actually is.

The board is a piece of canvas with the Dragon Dice logo on it and 4 quadrants marked Buried, Reserves, Frontier, and Dead. Each are numbered with a sharpie 1-4. This is a link to a photo of it; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8dlCtxcnY7lZkhPak1TdXJGVjQ...

The rules are simple. You must move your 4 tokens from each corner to the center of the board by rolling three d6s. If you get a pair of any number 1-4 you may move your token from that corner to the center (home). A pair of 6s lets you move an opponents piece from home to any un-occupied corner. You get two rolls per turn but any pair that lets you move a man gets you an extra roll. Winner is the first to get all 4 pieces home.

So I know that this isn't Dragon Dice, so what is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The playmat is from Dragon Dice.

I am not sure if the rules that you explain are the Dragon Dice rules though It looks as if Dragon Dice have custom dice, not normal D6s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Dice have very unique d6 d8 d12 d10 dice, all in a nice little bag. At times you could battle someone throwing a lot of the dice on the table. It was popular around '95 due to popularity of Magic: the gathering and the potential of buying a random pack with gold dice (the color, not the metal) which was very rare. Other rare dice were included in booster packs, but just like M:TG, it was hard to get the best ones as few were printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Interesting*. It's quite possibly something homebrew (given that it's marked with a Sharpie). Do the printed rules look professional or, home spun?? (A picture of them would really help).

* As denoted by the fact that it's effectively a game that most gamers will be able to assemble without any hassle, and from your own description it sounds enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, the mat definitely looks like official Dragon Dice. I used to love that game. Still own 4 armies.... buried somewhere in my home.

But I don't know where the rules are from. My first thought was the same as Tom, that it's a home-brew system. I don't know for sure... but they aren't the rules to the dragon dice I remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lockhoff
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cartomancer wrote:
Interesting*. It's quite possibly something homebrew (given that it's marked with a Sharpie). Do the printed rules look professional or, home spun?? (A picture of them would really help).

* As denoted by the fact that it's effectively a game that most gamers will be able to assemble without any hassle, and from your own description it sounds enjoyable.
Oh definitely home spun rules. They are about a paragraph, and printed on a small sheet of paper (misspelled). I was wondering if the rules themselves reminded anyone of any particular game, maybe a historical game one?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8dlCtxcnY7ldktFQXdjcUV1YjQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
CujoSR wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:

Oh definitely home spun rules. They are about a paragraph, and printed on a small sheet of paper (misspelled). I was wondering if the rules themselves reminded anyone of any particular game, maybe a historical game one?

Well it looks like we have a good news, bad news situation here. The bad news is that Google is drawing a blank. The good news, you appear to be holding the only copy known to exist of a game previously unknown to the gaming community, which I believe allows you the rights to a BGG entry on a piece of work that's not your own! A rare RARE thing indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lockhoff
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cartomancer wrote:
CujoSR wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:

Well it looks like we have a good news, bad news situation here. The bad news is that Google is drawing a blank. The good news, you appear to be holding the only copy known to exist of a game previously unknown to the gaming community, which I believe allows you the rights to a BGG entry on a piece of work that's not your own! A rare RARE thing indeed.
Wow that is impressive I wonder if this retailer just made up a game and sold it as is then. How does one go about creating an entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
CujoSR wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:
CujoSR wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:

Wow that is impressive I wonder if this retailer just made up a game and sold it as is then. How does one go about creating an entry?

I'd say that's more than possible. I don't suppose you took down the name of the stall holder?

Unfortunately I don't know how to add an entry, but I'm sure if you put out a post on the matter you'll get someone reply who knows how. :0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.