OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest 5 of Vanilla Descent:

Heroes: Lord Hawthorne, Eliam (Horrible Choice), Grey Ker, and Shiver.

OVERLORD: ME!

This was my second time playing OL on Quest 5. My first effort proved to be a triumph about a year ago. Can the heroes succeed where they have previously failed?

The first room of this dungeon is brutal. It is very dangerous for the heroes not to clear it b/c they'll be followed by Beastmen all the way around if they don't. And there are so few glyphs to activate that the center of the room must be breached if they wish to get them. Our heroes lost one of their own in this room: Shiver. The skeletons at the start plus a Skeleton Spawn proved to much for him, knocking them down to 2 CQ.

In the second room, the heroes again lost Shiver. Fortunately they had received CQ from the bronze chests and the glyph in room 1 to absorb the loss. Meanwhile, I, the OL, was STOCKED UP on threat from curses and turns, holding onto cards for a strong hand. When the time was right, I played a beastman war party and wiped out Lord Hawthorne, knocking the heroes back down to 3 CQ.

They reached the silver chest and the glyph in room 2, but the chest turned into a Mimic, further frustrating them as they prepared to move on. Finally they reached room three. Another BWP greeted them, taking out Eliam. The heroes regrouped, grabbed the gold treasure, and readied themselves for the final room. One hero tried a new tactic I've never seen before: he sold his three Skill cards in town to rebuff himself w/ his gold magic weapon, Curse of Rot. (I'm still not sure it's legal, but couldn't find anywhere in the rules where it says otherwise. What say you?) Grey Ker had the scarab. Hawthorne had the Serpent Blade, and Shiver had Drain Life. All in all, they were well equipped. By the time they entered the final Area, they had 9 CQ, while I had Evil Genius, Hordes of Things, and Brilliant Commander. 10 threat left, just enough to use my Dodge 2x, Aim, and Rage. Oh and I had 2 cards left in the deck.

They opened the doors and attacked. However, of their 5 attacks on the dragon 3 of them missed! This would be the final deathstroke. I attacked them w/ 2 beastmen, 2 spiders, a sorcerer, 1 naga, and the dragon. I played Rage on the dragon, but didn't end up needing it. The first hit took Eliam out (Shiver was taken out by the Beastmen.)

Game. Set. Match.

I actually felt bad about this one. It all came down to misses, which was just unlucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:
One hero tried a new tactic I've never seen before: he sold his three Skill cards in town to rebuff himself w/ his gold magic weapon, Curse of Rot. (I'm still not sure it's legal, but couldn't find anywhere in the rules where it says otherwise. What say you?)

Its not.

DJitD pg18
Shopping
The hero may visit the town’s market. He can purchase one or more items from the town shop deck, he may sell any of his items for half of their value (rounded down to the nearest 25 coins), and he may purchase any of the following:

Skills are not items. You can't sell them. See also pg5 and the card almanac on pg20 that shows what items are, and shows that skills are different.
Even if someone argues that skills are listed under the items available at the shop (which is just sloppy rule writing), that argument fails, because its not the skill itself that is listed, just the chance to make a draw from the skill deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Well, Shiver is overpriced. Losing him several times for 3 CT each had a big influence on the final result.

Unless using modified characters (as they have appeared on this forum), I'd strongly suggest that for classical quests the heroes avoid picking any of the following overpriced heroes : Ispher, Laurel, Challara, Shiver, Arvel, Red Scorpion, Lindel and be careful about Jonas, Hawthorne, Karnon and Jaes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.