Nicholas Tate
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Originally, I started with a relatively simple 3 character group that embodied the holy trinity of RPG play: a tank, a healer, and a mage in the form of Valeros, Kyra, and Seoni respectively. However, as I finished The Skinsaw Murders, I realized I had been making a large variety of errors in gameplay. The only way to atone for all was to obviously go big and attempt a sprawling 6 character campaign solo. What follows are deck listings for the six respective characters post-Skinsaw Murders and some corresponding thoughts on where I hope to take them. The characters are listed in what became my typical turn order in every scenario.

Seoni
Weapons: None
Spells: Augury x3, Haste
Armors: None
Items: Spyglass x3
Allies: Ilsoari Gandethus, Sage x2, Troubadour
Blessings: Pharasma x4, Zarongel x2

Comments: I opted for Seoni to be tremendously bursty. This build would not thrive without a multitude of cures from other characters starting on her 3 turn. Triple Augury and Spyglass were incredible and I don't think I can seperate them anytime soon. The ability to close locations like Shadow Clock and Catacombs of Wrath in the first turn are huge and it's only consistently possible to do so with the largest possible amount of those cards. If they print strictly betters of Augury or Spyglass (a la Levitate to Haste), I'll swap then. Zarongel is immediately optimal on Seoni, functioning as additional Blessing of Pharasma. I might move Zarongel to either Sajan or Lini in the future but that's dependent on what the new blessings will be.

Sajan
Spells: None
Items: Boots of Elvenkind, Eye of the Eagle, Staff of Minor Healing x2
Allies: Soldier x3
Blessings: Gorum x3, Calistria x3, Abadar x2, Shelyn x2

Comments: I want to like non-Drunken Master Sajan but it's hard. Until then, triple Gorum is great for combat while Abadar pulls tremendous weight given his good dex and respectable wisdom. Shelyn is the most noticably weakest and will be replaced when a viable Blessing presents itself. While the staves are certainly not Potions of Healing yet, I look forward to when they will be. If any "strange" blessings appear later in the game, similar to Abadar's specific barrier dice, I would not hesitate to make room on Sajan. "Punching" with a blessing is better than holding it as he's able to move quickly through his deck with minimal effort.

Kyra
Weapons: Icy Longspear +1, Scythe +1, Impaler of Thorns
Spells: Cure x3, Sanctuary
Armors: Hide Armor of Fire Resistance, Magic Chain Mail
Items: Holy Candle
Allies: Father Zantus
Blessings: Sarenae x4, Lamashtu x2

Comments: I picked up a third weapon because I don't want to spend a large amount of space on Attack spells to make drawing a combat option consistent. It wasn't worth dropping the cure count in general when characters like Seoni, Sajan, and sometimes Merisiel had such high demands for them.

Merisiel
Weapons: Deathbane Light Crossbow +1, Heavy Crossbow
Armors: Snakeskin Tunic
Items: Amulet of Fortitude, Cape of Escape, Thieves' Tools x2, Wand of Force Missle, Medusa Mask
Allies: Shalelu Andosana, Archer
Blessings: Erastil x4, Iomedae, Torag

Comments: Merisiel is amazingly consistent but I view her a lot like Sajan. By that, I'm implying that I wish she was a thief already. Charisma recharges are the biggest thing I'm looking forward to and plan to transition to Troubadors when the option becomes available.

Valeros
Weapons: Bastard Sword +1, Longbow +1, Longsword +1, Shock Longbow +1, Warhammer +1
Armors: Elven Breastplate, Magic Half-Plate, Shield of Fire Resistance
Items: Masterwork Tools x2
Allies: Merchant, Sheriff Hemlock, Soldier
Blessings: Iomedae x2, Torag x2

Comments: Valeros is like a pick-up truck: amazingly dependable but not entirely speedy. Not much more can really be said about Valeros in general that hasn't already been said.

Lini
Spells: Aid x2, Cure x2, Holy Light x2
Items: Sihedron Medallion x2
Allies: Crow, Saber-Toothed Tiger, Snake x2, Toad
Blessings: Irori x2, Lamashtu x2

Comments: Ideally, Lini could get Calistria, Erastil, Gorum, or Torag blessings to help facilitate her turns but you can only use what the game gives you. Constantly debating between taking the Power Feat for weapon usage and room in the deck for a weapon card but there is yet to be a weapon that really capitalizes off of Lini's multitude of rolls other than Impaler of Thorns and Icy Longspear +1; re-rolls are too strong in Lini's favor as she's able to assemble a large number of die to win the day.

General Thoughts
With Seoni and Sajan leading off every game, rolling 1 or 2 with Holy Candle are still extremely beneficial. These characters consistently had the largest turns for me so being able to guarantee they they would have that crucial extra turn meant I was able to afford stretching out exploration, making hunting for those elusive spells and blessings that much more effective.

A very 'strong' Seoni opening hand geared towards decapitation would involve the following:

1) Play Ilsoari Gandethus/Spyglass
1a) If Ilsoari Ganethus was played (and his lovely friend didn't attack you), blind explore
1b) If Spyglass was played: If Villain/Henchman present, place on top, Blessing/Ally/Haste explore and begin encounter; encounter Boon/Barrier with yields (Mystic Inscription, etc); if a second boon is present, Blessing/Ally/Haste explore to attempt to acquire the card; if double bane/monster, do not encounter
2) Augury, choosing monster
2a) If Villain/Henchman is present, move card to the top. Blessing/Ally explore to begin encounter
2b) If no villain/henchman, move any and all monsters to the bottom
3) After shuffling, Spyglass placing the bane under the boon if possible
3a) If Villain/Henchman present, place on top
4) Blessing/Ally/Haste explore
5) If a bane that required discard/a card to played by you was not encountered previously, Blessing/Ally/Haste explore again
6) If you have a second Augury in hand, examine how many monsters were revealed by the first Augury, what you've encountered to now, and what remains. Play Augury and make a subjective choice

This Seoni set-up is interesting because it leads to immensely dense decision trees from the get go. Turn 1 closures of locations are not uncommon while Seoni's second turn is the more typical time when events close; in fact, being unable to close a location is more tied with being unable to draw an Augury quickly. In some sense, it would have been better to never increase my spell count, thereby forcing me to draw an Augury in every opening hand. Regardless, Seoni needs to always keep track of what's left in every deck and what those cards might be if Harsk, Mountain Peak, Detect Evil, and Detect Magic are in the equation as to make optimal choices for Augury.

Merchant has really breathed new dynamics into Valeros. It was all too common that he would just suck up gear, amassing sizable amounts of cards to just sit on them. Valeros being able to pass gear to Lini meant that her weapon deficiency is rather moot; Valeros could supply whatever melee weapons Lini needed, limited mostly by his ability to draw said Merchants. Maybe when Hookmountain Massacre comes out, he'll be able to finish off collecting the three merchants to better shift gear among his teammates.

I don't like Masterwork Tools on Merisiel. I keep it on Valeros because, no matter how hillarious it is for him to lose against the Shopkeeper's Daughter, it impedes his already slow turns. The only way I'd place them on Merisiel would be if Valeros found access to more Blessings of Abadar.

Tired now. Too many permutations of the Seoni decision tree :V Any input or questions on character deck construction are appreciated and lauded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keidot wrote:

Sajan
Items: Boots of Elvenkind, Eye of the Eagle, Staff of Minor Healing x2
Allies: Soldier x3
Blessings: Gorum x3, Calistria x3, Abadar x2, Shelyn x2

Comments: I want to like non-Drunken Master Sajan but it's hard. Until then, triple Gorum is great for combat while Abadar pulls tremendous weight given his good dex and respectable wisdom. Shelyn is the most noticably weakest and will be replaced when a viable Blessing presents itself. While the staves are certainly not Potions of Healing yet, I look forward to when they will be. If any "strange" blessings appear later in the game, similar to Abadar's specific barrier dice, I would not hesitate to make room on Sajan. "Punching" with a blessing is better than holding it as he's able to move quickly through his deck with minimal effort.

Just to let you know, they have clarified that Sajan would use Blessing of Erastil, not Gorum as his combat check would be a Dex check.
Ref: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game faq

Very interesting, you have put a lot more thought into strategy than I have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Tate
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Hah, well then. Once more into the breech I go to try and amend this by replaying one of the scenarios. I also need to replace the Snakes on Lini and Soldiers on Sajan it seems like also. Hooray for goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.