Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all

I've just ordered Pathfinder after watching some of the play through videos by Tox and Ricky of Box of Delights.

I've always been a sucker for theme and swords and sorcery and have collected games such as Descent 1st edition, mage knight, defenders of the realm, lords of waterdeep, legend of andor to name a few.

Mage knight is amazing but with all the rules, I always miss something and then feel like I cheated as didn't play it right.

I like deck building games and kinda thought this might scratch my itch.

I normally play solo as my wife likes gaming but hates the fantasy world, after many tries, with various mechanics, it's just not gonna happen!

This looks great and feeling as giddy as a school kid as cant wait to start and just wanted to let the world know lol!

Any tips or hints would be great

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Paizo's site and read the FAQ/Errata. There's a decent chance you'll cheat some in this too. I like it, but I prefer Mage Knight. Far more depth and strategy than PACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder is a GREAT and FUN game, but bear in mind: deck building is not the most important mechanic in the game, so if you're looking for a deck builder, you'll be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a fun game, played a scenario last night. It's not a deckbuilding game though, not like Dominion or Ascension or Legendary, etc, you don't constantly add new cards to your deck every turn. It's more like a boardless cooperative Talisman type game where you visit a location, flip a card and either get a chance at gaining something nice or have to deal with something bad. To me it scratches the same itch as Talisman or Warhammer Quest, but without the annoying roll and move mechanics and with better game balance, a more compact game setup and persistent character development between games.

So if that sounds cool check it out! But if you're expecting a Thundrstone type fantasy deckbuilding game that's not what you'll be doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do build a deck, it's just kind of in slow motion, that's all. And our favourite game at the moment, by the way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabbage wrote:
You do build a deck, it's just kind of in slow motion, that's all. And our favourite game at the moment, by the way...

I just don't want someone unfamiliar with the game to see "deckbuilder" and think it plays like Thunderstone. The deckbuilding part of Pathfinder is VERY long term and slow, your deck only changes by a couple of cards each game and you often don't even cycle through your entire deck each game. That's why when I describe the game to new people I say it's kind of like Talisman since it plays more like that game than Thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent solo experience. You'll love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Go to Paizo's site and read the FAQ/Errata. There's a decent chance you'll cheat some in this too. I like it, but I prefer Mage Knight. Far more depth and strategy than PACG.

I've never played Mage Knight so I can't compare but I have feeling that as we see more adventure packs come out, strategy will be a big part of PACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't judge it too much by your first scenario. I've found much of the appeal of this game is the long-term progression through a massive campaign. Your characters (and their decks) will slowly get better as they make their way though the scenarios and adventures. You will get a wonderful sense of progress once you have played many scenarios. I am just starting Adventure Deck 2, and am more into the game now than ever. My characters have gained some power, they have some cool magic items in their decks now, and great memories of the adventures they have lived through. The baddies are getting consistently tougher, and new challenges await me in AP 2. I am already stoked for Adventure Deck 3 (at the end of which we get to finally use the 'role' cards).

For your starting party, I'd recommend a 2 character party composed of one fighter type (Valeros, Amiri, Seelah, or Sajan) and one spellcasting support character (Seoni, Lem, Kyra, Lini, Ezren, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiken Bird wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

I've never played Mage Knight so I can't compare but I have feeling that as we see more adventure packs come out, strategy will be a big part of PACG.

While I don't doubt strategy will be an element, I find it very difficult to see PACG reaching the strategic depth of Mage Knight. They are both similar in their premise but the execution is vastly different. PACG does let you level your character over time, much like an RPG, while each game of Mage Knight is a different experience so if you prefer the long-term for the short, PACG definitely has it there. I'd love to see MK introduce a campaign setting of growth over many games, though maybe I wouldn't - I'd never need to play PACG again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.