Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our playgroup usually plays 4-p games. We've worked our way to Scenario 5, Cannibal Island.

We lost twice tonight, in extremely short order.

Other scenarios are tough. We scrap for food, shelter, etc. and manage to pull together victories. Cannibal Island? A few book events come out, prompting cannibal attacks, and we just die. We tried to hustle and find the first cannibal village and destroy it, accomplishing that on turn 3. Dead to books on turn 4 and 5 even then! It feels like we're at the absolute mercy of the order of the book events from the event deck on this one. More attempts may go more favorably, but tonight was not even close.

It feels like 4p games are extremely tough on this one, because cannibal attacks cause 3-4 morale drops. Even maxed morale ends up in the negative, hurting the start player even more. Wow is this one tough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Same experience here ! And it's not better with two players. We plan on trying again, with ths explorer finding the village turn 1 with its special abilities, burn it turn 2, then rest a little, but I doubt it will work. Hardest scenario yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of early books and the scenario is pretty much lost. You can adjust that by adding less "book" cards, and more "?" cards.
But the scenario is definitely winnable. Just need a little bit of luck

Also the explorer really helps with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maho, playtesting Energizer Bunny (she just goes on and on and on), has beat each scenario multiple times.
And this one, she confessed to me, she has yet to beat.

So yes, apparently this one is the hardest by far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot one thing that was pretty funny. Adding insult to injury, we drew the event card that is simply two book icons in a row tonight. We had done the math and knew we would survive a book event. I drew this one and just started laughing. Not a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Maho, playtesting Energizer Bunny (she just goes on and on and on), has beat each scenario multiple times.
And this one, she confessed to me, she has yet to beat.

So yes, apparently this one is the hardest by far...

Haha.... yes that´s right
I tried Cannibals maybe 10 times, 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-player.........
No way - always bit the dust in round 4 - strange, I think Robert too always lost in round 4.....

Hey Dumon, let´s give it a try together.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szience Man
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played once with four players. We were able to win, but only after we had resigned to dying on the third day, but we were able to build the bed to keep us alive and dodge the book icons for the next couple of rounds. Otherwise, we'd have died. Everyone ended up sleeping at least half the day most rounds there on out and some all day (both pawns). We could not have done it without the bed. We also had the dog, but no Friday... We kept joking about how the player with the most life would keep running into the villages with a grenade strapped to the dog. It's a good thing the dog always makes it back to camp. He's fierce. Definitely one of those killer German military shepards... I think we realied on the pit for food well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll see how the cannibals like the taste of horse meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
We'll see how the cannibals like the taste of horse meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news! Our extremely determined 4-player group just defeated cannibal island!

It went all the way to round 9, and was extremely close.

We built many items, including the spear and bow. We fought many beasts, including the gorilla. We scrambled for food, aided by the snare. We slept in caves, then we built a shelter, then we lost it to the cannibals, then we built another, thanks to all those hides from the beasts we had slain. Most importantly, we destroyed 3 cannibal villages on our way towards the city of the cannibals. The cannibals hadn't attacked us much until we had seriously weakened them, which was the only reason we were able to survive.

During the final turn, the Cook, Carpenter, and Explorer were a single wound from death. Our soldier mounted the final attack against the cannibal city of power 12 with 7 permanent attack and +3 temporary attack, taking 2 wounds, and surviving the battle!

We even had enough food to survive that night We also agreed that defeating the cannibal city was worth +20 morale.

It feels absolutely awesome! We refused to lower the difficulty in any way during our attempts. No dog, no reduction in book cards.

*edited typos*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
One day, I will grow up to be just as awesome as you are!!!

[Edit]
Seems like this day came sooner than I hoped...

I played five games of Cannibal Island yesterday, and won the fifth in round 7, with each character surviving the night AND having two or three health remaining...

Actually, I played to test an idea I had regarding strategy. And I think I have found one that will give you better chances to beat this monster of a scenario. Oh, and it all hinges on the first three rounds. But I won't spoiler, here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed all the scenarios up until this one. It's just ridiculous. When you can lose 3 to 5 wounds just by turning a card... That's just poor.

I'll be giving this one a pass and move on to the Robinson family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.