Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Randall
United States
Jeffersonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens to the event after it has been triggered by a scholar and auctioned off (by the trigger-er)?

I THINK the answer is "it is discarded and step 4 for the turn is completely skipped." (Does this mean the chancellor should perhaps have a special eye to gain these scholars specifically for that ability, as it means he keeps his chancellorship and his control over additional tie breaker decisions might give him an extra edge?)

I wanted to verify that it was NOT either "event remains and chancellor does step 4 using the same event card" or "event is discarded and replaced with another of its era, which the chancellor then uses in step 4 of the turn".

(rereading section before submitting)

Or am I to understand the effect of this use of these scholars as simply "take the benefit of the event for the turn immediately, as if you had won the auction"? I took the text on the scholar "as if chancellor" to mean "do the whole event step - auction, decide if necessary, and apply benefit for winner(s)" but maybe that was not intended.

In which case I lean towards the first alternate - the event card remains untouched and step 4 will proceed as normal with the appropriate auction type, led by the chancellor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hogan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony, the player using the scholar's ability takes a new event card from the unused ones of that era and performs it as if they were chancellor. The only difference is the winner does not take over the chancellorship.

The pre-selected event for that turn is unaffected and is performed as usual at the end of the turn. Does that clear things up for you? I will update the rules section on this to avoid confusion.

Thanks - Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Randall
United States
Jeffersonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random draw only of face down cards for the era, top card of a/the face down pile created after selecting the two cards for the era, or is the player of the scholar allowed to search through the pile for the era (which means a later hidden event for the future in the era could be figured out - in case that can give any sort of advantage)?

Then I think I am set - thank you again, Jeremy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hogan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the player draws the top card from the remaining (unused) event cards of that era.

Glad that's cleared up for you and thanks for the input on this, it's really useful for ironing out rulebook issues, we'll update accordingly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.